GDT: Bruins at Sabres 2/8/12 7:30PM

spndnchz

Paging Liger.

Oh come on, any one of us young lads could step up to the plate on that one. Liger isn't the only one that is allowed to parade his drunken libido for our amusement ;)

Sabres vs. Bruins Drinking Game Rules (*INJURED LINDY RUFF SPECIAL EDITION)

-Drink every time the Lucic hit on Miller is mentioned

-Drink every time the crowd boos a Boston player

-Drink every time the crowd boos the Sabres for any reason

-If a Sabres player leaves with an injury finish your drink

*Drink every time Lindy Ruff's rib injury is mentioned

*Drink every time Lindy is shown sitting in the arena

*If the camera shows Teppo Numminen on the bench drink for as long as he is on screen.

I seemed to have really missed an opportunity here... sadly I need money to eat so alcohol is now a luxury. I do have a good story about last friday night and what 6 PBRs, 2 Labatt's, 1 shot of Tequila, 1 shot Rum, 1 Shot unknown, and 1 Rum and coke (double) looks like after a jim's famous steak hoagie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlyXNRrsk4A

Missed the first two periods and only caught the third but apparently some other team took the Sabres jerseys and played the Bruins tonight. You can disregard my comments in the GDT pregame because I was so wrong about this one. The roles were reversed. That being said this is regular season and the Sabres seemed to do o.k. reg. season against the Bruins last year as well and we all know how that turned out. However props to the boys and I agree with the sentiment on the Lucic hit to Kaletas head when he was on all fours. I thought there might have been some hair pulling at the end there by that goon McQuade on Kaleta? Anyways in a seven game series I still go with the Bruins braun over the sabres skill. It'll wear you down.

I'm disappointed you are the only poster to point this out. I thought it was fairly obvious why they were fired up. They are playing the team that pantsed them and exposed their little weenies...at home...fully healthy for the first time since Miller was run. To hear all these scenarios about the coaching is baffling.

I figured that as well. I just didn't want to get caught up in the Patrick/Ruff discussion. One, because it's nonsense. Two, because I kind of wanted to enjoy the win and the way they've been playing the last couple of weeks without the typical bitching.

If the Sabres want to be contenders, they need to address the size and toughness. It was nice to see Kaleta and McCormick do what they did but the Sabres will need to add a few things. A thug who scores and fights; a la Lucic or Hartnell. They also need a heavyweight or two. Finley isn't scary enough, there aren't a lot of scary dudes left but they should get one. Also, grab a big mean defensman. The Bruins have one of these pricks on the ice at all times, I want the Sabres to as well. Get a 6'4" 230lbs+ guy that will your face off. These guys are a dime a dozen, go grab a couple at the deadline in case of injuries.

I hear ya.

Easily the best the team has played all season. The 3 stars were well earned, 1) Miller, 2) Pommers, 3) Kaleta, another player that deserved a star selection is, Tyler Ennis, his game has risen so much since his return. Ennis was not only a force on the Offensive side, but I lost count of how many times he grabbed the puck in our end and either skated it out or passed it out successfully. Ennis has been my favorite Sabre on this roster, but his game is really improving and I have to think it has a lot to do with being moved to Center, along with the increased ice time.

Also Ennis seemed to gain a lot from observing Gerbe's style of play, while he was in the press box, out with an injury.

Easily the best the team has played all season. The 3 stars were well earned, 1) Miller, 2) Pommers, 3) Kaleta, another player that deserved a star selection is, Tyler Ennis, his game has risen so much since his return. Ennis was not only a force on the Offensive side, but I lost count of how many times he grabbed the puck in our end and either skated it out or passed it out successfully. Ennis has been my favorite Sabre on this roster, but his game is really improving and I have to think it has a lot to do with being moved to Center, along with the increased ice time.

Also Ennis seemed to gain a lot from observing Gerbe's style of play, while he was in the press box, out with an injury.

We really don't hear that often...

Some random thoughts on the game-

-Great game by Leino.

-Miller is sure in some kinda zone.

-Kaleta, great game.

-Ehrhoff is worth the money. We're a different team with him on the ice.

-Tuukka Rask looks like a crazed lesbian.post-1429-0-49519700-1328766302_thumb.png

-Ennis looked great.

-I just don't understand why Mike Milbury has a job.

Leino didn't look so good in the opening ten minutes, but he got better.

Miller, Kaleta, Ehrhoff, Ennis, right on.

Damn, you're right with Rask, too. Too funny.

Milbury has a job because he's polarizing.

If the Sabres want to be contenders, they need to address the size and toughness. It was nice to see Kaleta and McCormick do what they did but the Sabres will need to add a few things. A thug who scores and fights; a la Lucic or Hartnell. They also need a heavyweight or two. Finley isn't scary enough, there aren't a lot of scary dudes left but they should get one. Also, grab a big mean defensman. The Bruins have one of these pricks on the ice at all times, I want the Sabres to as well. Get a 6'4" 230lbs+ guy that will your face off. These guys are a dime a dozen, go grab a couple at the deadline in case of injuries.

Screw that. A guy like Lucic or Hartnell is utterly impossible to root for. How could anyone possibly want a bitchmade guy like that on our team? It is possible to play tough and hard without being a disgusting punk like those two are.

Screw that. A guy like Lucic or Hartnell is utterly impossible to root for. How could anyone possibly want a bitchmade guy like that on our team? It is possible to play tough and hard without being a disgusting punk like those two are.

I kind of get your point, but I had no problem rooting for Michael Peca, and looking back at his hits now, it's tough to say he was a clean player. I know the rules were different then. I also had no problem rooting for Matt Barnaby or Larry Playfair.

I kind of get your point, but I had no problem rooting for Michael Peca, and looking back at his hits now, it's tough to say he was a clean player. I know the rules were different then. I also had no problem rooting for Matt Barnaby or Larry Playfair.

Those guys were in that mold?

I'm a relatively new hockey fan so I'm kind of learning about the history of the league (and the Sabres) on the fly.

I know I bring basketball up as my point of reference and experience but I could never root for a, say, Bruce Bowen, even if he was on my team.

Those guys were in that mold?

I'm a relatively new hockey fan so I'm kind of learning about the history of the league (and the Sabres) on the fly.

I know I bring basketball up as my point of reference and experience but I could never root for a, say, Bruce Bowen, even if he was on my team.

Yeah, they kind of were in the mold of Lucic and Hartnell. (I don't know who Bruce Bowen is; I don't follow basketball.) Playfair was a big, mean defenseman; Peca threw hits that were positively filthy (and could fight, too) while scoring 70 points per season; Barnaby was a grade-A agitator who could contribute with a timely goal now and then. It's tough to say it, because Hartnell and Lucic piss us off SO MUCH, but the Sabres have had players like them before. They don't have one now, though, and you never look at the guy in your team's sweater as the dirty player, you know?

Yeah, they kind of were in the mold of Lucic and Hartnell. (I don't know who Bruce Bowen is; I don't follow basketball.) Playfair was a big, mean defenseman; Peca threw hits that were positively filthy (and could fight, too) while scoring 70 points per season; Barnaby was a grade-A agitator who could contribute with a timely goal now and then. It's tough to say it, because Hartnell and Lucic piss us off SO MUCH, but the Sabres have had players like them before. They don't have one now, though, and you never look at the guy in your team's sweater as the dirty player, you know?

Cool thanks for that rundown. Generally disagree about saying someone on a favorite team of mine is dirty or a punk or an agitator, etc. I think I'm able to see it. My point is that I hate it so much (again, playing hard and tough but fair is different, I'm totally okay and WANT that) that it's tough to tolerate or ignore just because it's on my team, you know?

We do need some toughness right now on this squad. Last night was a step in the right direction, so I'm happy.

Don't bother. Trust me on this one. You're right, but you cannot win this argument against the truly devoted. It's like trying to explain to Karl Rove that Iraq didn't have nukes.

I was wondering why you dislike James Patrick so much? From early in the thread you have been attempting to discredit any positives Patrick might accomplish. It's like you knew this team was going to play balls to the wall for James Patrick and it frightened you and many of your minions. Did you hear something from a player and refuse to share with the rest of us?

Very good! :clapping:

Except for the last part. I've been listening all along to the interviews and basically none of what you have said in the last two sentences is true. :oops:

Since you asked, well, no, you didn't, but I'll say it anyway because some people here clearly take themselves WAY too seriously: all that interests me is that the team played an inspired game. Inspired, not goaded like the last Boston game (hence my conclusion that it was manipulated). The boys rolled off the bench differently: TOI per shift seemed different, match-ups were consistent, the lines stayed the same. And, above all, they seemed to be having fun playing hockey. Sorry, you can't quantify "fun" - but we are humans and sensitive to how faces "read", body language as well. Those types of signs apparently exist, but their meanings are up in the air. <_<

And Lindy was NOT there on the bench to yell at them, shuffle lines, and call shifts. I know it's just plum crazy, but I think this game indicates enough of a correlation to warrant further experimentation.

For some reason Ruff continues to be a sacred cow beyond criticism.

We may have seen the partial answer to a question we see a lot on this board, "If you fire Ruff, you do hire to take over?"

They had a chance tonight to eliminate all those Lucic replays. No doubt in my mind they were playing for the national audience. And they did a damned fine job of showing the national audience that they weren't going to accept the soft label. Now they need to be consistent with it.

Cool thanks for that rundown. Generally disagree about saying someone on a favorite team of mine is dirty or a punk or an agitator, etc. I think I'm able to see it. My point is that I hate it so much (again, playing hard and tough but fair is different, I'm totally okay and WANT that) that it's tough to tolerate or ignore just because it's on my team, you know?

We do need some toughness right now on this squad. Last night was a step in the right direction, so I'm happy.

Kaleta is a world class punk. Every bit the punk that anyone on Boston is. Hell, every bit the punk anyone in the league is. I'd hope you are rooting for him anyway.

You can't root for Lucic or Hartnell but have no problem with Kaleta? I would take either one of those guys over Kaleta. If you notice, those guys score 20-25 goals per year.

Lucic - I agree. Although if he was on the Flyers I can't say I wouldn't cheer when he scored.

Hartnell has actually cleaned up his game. I personally didn't like the guy until this year. I wanted him off the Flyers. He could barely skate, took stupid penalties and showed up every 10 games or so. This year it's completely different playing with Jagr and Giroux. He creates space for them and actually has improved many aspects of his game. I think he realizes that he has more skill than just being a PITA for other teams. Hartnell has 25 goals and is ranks #7. Currently ahead of D. Sedin, Kovalchuck, OV, Iginla, Giroux, Hossa, Spezza, Parise, Seguin, Lecavalier.......... That's pretty decent I must say.

Reputations are hard to break I guess.

Yah? and how about now? They have to start somewhere. They took the Rangers to a 0-0 shoot-out loss. They JUST beat Boston 6-0.

They ARE better than their record indicates. They just proved it. Injuries have sucked them dry, and now they're reaping the rewards of a full, healthy, PHYSICAL team.

No. They have the potential to be better than their record indicates. But they are (just like any other team is) exactly what their total body of work is. Specifically, they are a team that got off to a good start and then completely fell apart when they hit some adversity -- just like they've done EVERY year since Black Sunday. Did you not watch that endless string of dreary 3-1 losses in December and January? Good teams don't hide under the bed for 30+ games in a season.

Now that the pressure is off and their opponents aren't taking them seriously, they've put together a few wins, mostly due to stellar goaltending.

Don't kid yourself. This team still has fundamental problems. Their forwards are nowhere near good enough.

Don't bother. Trust me on this one. You're right, but you cannot win this argument against the truly devoted. It's like trying to explain to Karl Rove that Iraq didn't have nukes.

I am going to formally request a cease-and-desist on these. The next 9 months are going to be bad enough without baiting seeping into the hockey threads.

The difference was Teppo!! :P

Hello Numminen.

Ruff commenting on how practice will be conducted in the next few days- "I just can't, it's just too dangerous being out there with Leo".

Outstanding.

Frankly, I'd rather close strongly regardless of what happens and take my chances with Pegula making/authorizing moves that will push us further. Just like teams that make it to the semis or conference finals have things done to their teams to push them over the top into straight Cup contender status. You don't need to lose every game to make improvements to the team.

Me too.

The only real variable I see right now is a team giving a rats ass, and other teams taking said team lightly due to the fact they went on holiday throughout december, which Buffalo teams who miss the playoffs have had a habit of doing in the past.

This. I need to see a quality opponent treating a Sabres game as a big game before I can give the Sabres much credit for finally removing heads from rectums.

Just back -

1) Kaleta

2) Pommenville

3 ) Miller / Leino

It's not over

Good man.

Archived