GDT: Bruins at Sabres 2/8/12 7:30PM

spndnchz

Why must there always be something to argue about? I get that this is a message board but ###### man, we just destroyed our biggest rivals 6-0. Just shut up and enjoy the damn win for once without bringing other crap into it. Save it for off-days if you MUST bring these things up.

I agree, and for what it's worth I do feel bad for helping to derail what should be a celebration thread. The professional part of me just gets all kinds of riled up when people are making rash judgments based on a sample size of 1...and this goes for everything, not just hockey.

By far the best game of the year, thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Frankly I think we beat Boston at their own game, we got way under their skin and they played like garbage. We punched the bully back, and I loved every second of it.

I agree, and for what it's worth I do feel bad for helping to derail what should be a celebration thread. The professional part of me just gets all kinds of riled up when people are making rash judgments based on a sample size of 1...and this goes for everything, not just hockey.

By far the best game of the year, thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Frankly I think we beat Boston at their own game, we got way under their skin and they played like garbage. We punched the bully back, and I loved every second of it.

Sure did.

Ruff to Patrick - "Your bench to run..."

Ruff just said Patrick basically handled everything during the game.

"Your ball to run with, I'll just be the eye-in-the-sky..."

Kozial, you fool, Lindy is on pain-killers, no wonder he's giddy.

Forget the arguing, there's a contingent of fans around here that are rooting for the Sabres to lose so as not to improve their position too much in the standings. This game is gonna piss them off.

GO SABRES!!!

There is a bit of a difference between rooting for the team to lose and acknowledging that losing may be the best thing for them. I was most certainly NOT rooting for the team to lose tonight (and enjoyed every bit of this game) but I cannot help but look at the standings and think that moving up isn't going to get us what we really need.

1) Ennis at center works... he takes faceoffs and generates a lot of opportunities. This kid is special.

2) Leino and Pominville seem to work together. Of course I think Pommers on ice leadership skills always show and the locker room discord is not his fault.

3) Patrick did not have the sabres go into Alamo mode... so whats the over under on the thread about Ruff relinquishing command to Patrick?

4) Great response physically to EVERYTHING. May have lost some fights but at least they fought!

There is a bit of a difference between rooting for the team to lose and acknowledging that losing may be the best thing for them. I was most certainly NOT rooting for the team to lose tonight (and enjoyed every bit of this game) but I cannot help but look at the standings and think that moving up isn't going to get us what we really need.

If they keep playing like this through the deadline, we can all forget our dreams of dumping the dead-weight and making moves that will actually improve the team enough to make it a Cup contender.

How did I know everyone was going to make this into a "coaching controversy" if the Sabres won? Lindy Ruff was STILL the head coach -- his lines, his match ups, his game plan. There was just a different face behind the bench, taking commands from Ruff through an ear-piece (as Versus pointed out). Certainly there were little things that Patrick had to do himself, but it was still Ruff calling the shots.

The difference was Teppo!! :P

If they keep playing like this through the deadline, we can all forget our dreams of dumping the dead-weight and making moves that will actually improve the team enough to make it a Cup contender.

If they keep playing like this, they are a Cup contender.

(Don't worry. They won't.)

If we get hot maybe our dead weight will actually play well enough to have a miniscule of trade value.

Frankly, I'd rather close strongly regardless of what happens and take my chances with Pegula making/authorizing moves that will push us further. Just like teams that make it to the semis or conference finals have things done to their teams to push them over the top into straight Cup contender status. You don't need to lose every game to make improvements to the team.

Ho hum. Okay, so, if one were a scientist, and the Sabres were an experiment, what would be tonight's variable?

Boston (the actual team they played)

The disallowed goal

Ennis at Center

Vanek missing from the lineup

Home Game

Ruff's absence

... feel free to add on.

Frankly, I'd rather close strongly regardless of what happens and take my chances with Pegula making/authorizing moves that will push us further. Just like teams that make it to the semis or conference finals have things done to their teams to push them over the top into straight Cup contender status. You don't need to lose every game to make improvements to the team.

Sometimes sending a message requires the receiver to be subjected to extreme conditions for the message to "get through". I think this is the case with Pegula, unfortunately. It's clear the subtleties of the Sabres' situation evaded him after last season.

Ho hum. Okay, so, if one were a scientist, and the Sabres were an experiment, what would be tonight's variable?

There would be many variables. Boston playing .500 hockey recently, Sabres playing their best hockey since the first 2 games of the season recently, emotion surround Miller's first game against Boston since the incident, the emotion of the team being sick and tired hearing about big bad Boston, and yes, Patrick behind the bench.

And despite all of those variables (if you could somehow quantify them), whatever results the computer spit out would be completely worthless. Sample size of 1. ONE. You cannot draw ANY conclusions with a sample size of 1. Period.

The disallowed goal

Ennis at Center

Home Game

Ruff's absence

... feel free to add on.

Add these variables too. And my point about a sample size of 1 still remains. It's meaningless. Completely, and totally, meaningless.

The disallowed goal

Ennis at Center

Home Game

Ruff's absence

... feel free to add on.

I would consider these types of things part of the control group.

And despite all of those variables (if you could somehow quantify them), whatever results the computer spit out would be completely worthless. Sample size of 1. ONE. You cannot draw ANY conclusions with a sample size of 1. Period.

Welcome back. So, you would ignore the extreme results, just because it's one sample? The odd result wouldn't beckon more experimentation?

Archived