Buyers or Sellers?

LGR4GM

Just as when people blame Darcys shortcomings on Quinn and T.G. ,Darcy and the rest of the management staff are blaming this years terrible record on injuries. Always an excuse in Buffalo and never accountability. This streak of wins is nice and I'll certainly enjoy it in a season where there's been no joy in being a sabres fan or a fan of good hockey but unfortunately it gives Regier and co. more excuses for this teams shortcomings. Are we 1 or 2 players away from being an eighth place team or are we 1 or 2 players away from being a contender ? Regier would have you believe we are a contender if we only didn't have those dreadful injuries.

This is in the back of the minds of most Sabre fans. Are the Sabres in the midst of an historic rally to the Stanley Cup or are they going to do just enough to save jobs and roster spots. Is the second half of this season nothing more than the equivalent of a collective team "contract year" where they all end up coming back next season just to disappoint fans again.

This is in the back of the minds of most Sabre fans. Are the Sabres in the midst of an historic rally to the Stanley Cup or are they going to do just enough to save jobs and roster spots. Is the second half of this season nothing for than the equivalent of a collective team "contract year" where they all end up coming back next season just to disappoint fans again.

This is exactly what I am concerned about. Good way of wording it.

Just as when people blame Darcys shortcomings on Quinn and T.G. ,Darcy and the rest of the management staff are blaming this years terrible record on injuries. Always an excuse in Buffalo and never accountability. This streak of wins is nice and I'll certainly enjoy it in a season where there's been no joy in being a sabres fan or a fan of good hockey but unfortunately it gives Regier and co. more excuses for this teams shortcomings. Are we 1 or 2 players away from being an eighth place team or are we 1 or 2 players away from being a contender ? Regier would have you believe we are a contender if we only didn't have those dreadful injuries.

I'm no Darcy supporter but I disagree with this. I've said it before on here but I have a source who had an opportunity to have a lengthy one on one convo with Darcy before the season. During that convo Darcy said that expectations were way too high for this team. Now I don't think he envisioned it being this bad, but I also don't think he believed that he had a true cup contender on his hands either.

I'm no Darcy supporter but I disagree with this. I've said it before on here but I have a source who had an opportunity to have a lengthy one on one convo with Darcy before the season. During that convo Darcy said that expectations were way too high for this team. Now I don't think he envisioned it being this bad, but I also don't think he believed that he had a true cup contender on his hands either.

If you've got a fly on the wall give us more man! I don't believe Regier is stupid enough to believe we are a true contender either. He'd be the only one in the hockey community that did. I should have chosen my words better. I guess we'll see what he does between now and the deadline and if he believes we can slip into eighth place. My guess is even if we did get into eighth place he's pull off a blockbuster for a Dom Moore type like he always does thinking it would put us over the top which has the appearance of him believing we aren't that far from winning the cup. Just sayin.

If you've got a fly on the wall give us more man! I don't believe Regier is stupid enough to believe we are a true contender either. He'd be the only one in the hockey community that did. I should have chosen my words better. I guess we'll see what he does between now and the deadline and if he believes we can slip into eighth place. My guess is even if we did get into eighth place he's pull off a blockbuster for a Dom Moore type like he always does thinking it would put us over the top which has the appearance of him believing we aren't that far from winning the cup. Just sayin.

It's not really an insider, more of a family friend of Darcy's and a big hockey fan but non-Sabres fan. I was supposed to meet Darcy and some players after the last Carolina game here, but after they lost and played so badly my brother in law thought it might not be a good idea. He did text me after that game that "Darcy just got off the phone saying he had to clear some cap space" I was hopeful maybe it meant a trade was in the works, and maybe there was, but it's more likely that it was just another roster juggling he needed to make with all the injuries at the time.

If you listen to yesterday's interview on GR with Schopp and Bulldog, Regier was doing his Pegula shine-dance.

1) He says even though a team hasn't won the cup from lower than 8th overall in the league since 1966....he has a feeling this is the year someone does it

2) He looks at positioning from what he calls ".500". They tried to get him to clarify that he really looks at points, but he made it a point to say the Sabres are .500 after winning last night and that they need to be 5 games over .500 for a playoff spot. I know he is not this stupid, but it must be the angle he is taking with Pegula to make things look better. The Sabres can win their next 5, then lose in overtime the rest of the year and end up with 87 points. Darcy himself says they need 92 to 95 points to get in the playoffs. Under his definition...they would be 5 games over .500. I wanted to lay down in the fetal position and have a Samoan woman drive a pencil through my temple with her asscheeks after listening to Darcy tapdance with this one. When I say he is a weasel....this is the type of stuff I am talking about. He will pull 20 spreadsheets out to claim the Sabres are great at something, then something as simple as understanding the NHL points system.....he plays dumb in order to make things look good. Please....listen and tell me I am wrong.

3) He points out that the Sabres are good enough to beat Boston and the Rangers....and when Schopp says, "yeah, because they are so far ahead they can take their foot off the pedal a bit", which Darcy refutes.....but then he goes on to say that teams near the bottom play harder because they are in a tough position. Well......why don't you show that effort for the first 40 games so you aren't in that position?

This whole franchise and fanbase suffers from battered spouse syndrome. They get whacked around.....the guy spends the rent money at a poker game.....he is drunk and doesn't take care of the kids......yet when you say you are going to leave him, he cleans up his act for a week or two to calm you down...and you fall for it...and all is forgiven.....until the cycle repeats itself...again...again...and again. I can't complain that they are winning, but I can be upset that once again, effort for a small part of the season seems enough for many to get all fuzzy inside, and once again we will probably blow another deadline chance to really regroup and retool......

If you listen to yesterday's interview on GR with Schopp and Bulldog, Regier was doing his Pegula shine-dance.

1) He says even though a team hasn't won the cup from lower than 8th overall in the league since 1966....he has a feeling this is the year someone does it

2) He looks at positioning from what he calls ".500". They tried to get him to clarify that he really looks at points, but he made it a point to say the Sabres are .500 after winning last night and that they need to be 5 games over .500 for a playoff spot. I know he is not this stupid, but it must be the angle he is taking with Pegula to make things look better. The Sabres can win their next 5, then lose in overtime the rest of the year and end up with 87 points. Darcy himself says they need 92 to 95 points to get in the playoffs. Under his definition...they would be 5 games over .500. I wanted to lay down in the fetal position and have a Samoan woman drive a pencil through my temple with her asscheeks after listening to Darcy tapdance with this one. When I say he is a weasel....this is the type of stuff I am talking about. He will pull 20 spreadsheets out to claim the Sabres are great at something, then something as simple as understanding the NHL points system.....he plays dumb in order to make things look good. Please....listen and tell me I am wrong.

3) He points out that the Sabres are good enough to beat Boston and the Rangers....and when Schopp says, "yeah, because they are so far ahead they can take their foot off the pedal a bit", which Darcy refutes.....but then he goes on to say that teams near the bottom play harder because they are in a tough position. Well......why don't you show that effort for the first 40 games so you aren't in that position?

This whole franchise and fanbase suffers from battered spouse syndrome. They get whacked around.....the guy spends the rent money at a poker game.....he is drunk and doesn't take care of the kids......yet when you say you are going to leave him, he cleans up his act for a week or two to calm you down...and you fall for it...and all is forgiven.....until the cycle repeats itself...again...again...and again. I can't complain that they are winning, but I can be upset that once again, effort for a small part of the season seems enough for many to get all fuzzy inside, and once again we will probably blow another deadline chance to really regroup and retool......

Look, I don't love the guy, but using an extreme example as you did in #2 to try to color the guy an idiot/weasel is a bit much. 92 points is .560 hockey. 82 points is .500. The difference between the two: ten points, also known as five wins. Yeah, like any formula, you can manipulate it if you want to.

Look, I don't love the guy, but using an extreme example as you did in #2 to try to color the guy an idiot/weasel is a bit much. 92 points is .560 hockey. 82 points is .500. The difference between the two: ten points, also known as five wins. Yeah, like any formula, you can manipulate it if you want to.

You need to listen to what he says......they even try to get him to clarify what his goal is. That is the point.....he manipulates anything he can to look good....and the way Pegula has acted so far, I can just see Darcy doing his spreadsheet tapdance for Pegula and Pegula sitting in the corner, rubbing his hands, going..."Oh!...Goodie!Goodie!Goodie!"

For any unpartial observers that never quite understood the "Team Stormcloud" viewpoint......an interview like yesterday is pretty much the definition of the point between Purgatory and Hell for us. Year after year....the carrot of real change is dangled in front of us, and a logical progression would see that change carried out. Then the devil's wind starts a blowin'.....and we are left stranded once again. To hear Darcy tap and shine is just like the Devil laughing at us as we lay desolate.

I am not even trying to be cute. That's how it feels. I would be angry years ago, but I am so used to it now I just shrug after my initial cringe. Groundhog Day the movie......seriously, it's not a cliche...it's really what it feels like as the alarm goes off.

No sense in getting upset. Words are almost irrelevant in sports. GM's can't say what they want to say in any situation, unless you are winning everything and even then the media is looking for some angle to stir the pot and try and get people interested. Honestly I'm amazed anyone even listens to interviews anymore.

After the trade deadline I will see what moves were made between teams and I will judge then. Then, during the off-season I will do the same. It's about all anyone can do.

Before I accept a label on Pegula as being so shallow as to believe Regier's tap dance I want to see the problem continue. I understood the "see what we have" mentality. Pegula has some very smart hockey people in his corner and I am sure if they believe Regier isn't cutting it this year then they'll make a change. If they continue on this path and nothing changes then I will accept the label on him.

GoDD,

In order to not abuse my server space allotment (some on the board may view any post I make as using too much server space) I will not quote your two most recent posts in this thread, but ...

You really do have a fine way with words. I like!

Thanks.....and to get back on the ".500" point.

Darcy himself says you need 92 to 95 points to get in. If you get a point a game all year that is 82 points. 92 points is over 12% higher than 82 and 95 points is 16%. To ignore the bastardised point system of the nhl when making evaluations is the sign of an idiot. But I know he isn't stupid.....he is just trying to fluff his own dismal performance by using the data set he does. Even at 54 points in 54 games.....if they DID go 5 games over .500 as Darcy defines it.....they would go 16-11-1 and end up with 87 points.....5 to 8 short of a playoff spot.

If he was saying 5 games over .500 by the trade deadline, that would mean 7-2 starting last night. Considering he was leaning towards buyers mode already.......he gives the goal of 7-2.....say they go 6-3 and are 6 points out with 20 games left......you know that is good enough for Pegula to forgive, and give Darcy another chance yet again to make a move for the short term fuzzy feeling like last year, only to fall short of any meaningful results and giving up an opportunity to sell in a sellers market. 2 years down the drain....pretty much a full salary cap with many of the same underachievers on board......and we get to do it all again next year.

But next year will be different....because we can't possibly have anyone injured and 10-12 guys won't be at career lows in output.

Here's a little formula for Ted Black.........Dx15+Ly15= 0 Cups

Thanks.....and to get back on the ".500" point.

Darcy himself says you need 92 to 95 points to get in. If you get a point a game all year that is 82 points. 92 points is over 12% higher than 82 and 95 points is 16%. To ignore the bastardised point system of the nhl when making evaluations is the sign of an idiot. But I know he isn't stupid.....he is just trying to fluff his own dismal performance by using the data set he does. Even at 54 points in 54 games.....if they DID go 5 games over .500 as Darcy defines it.....they would go 16-11-1 and end up with 87 points.....5 to 8 short of a playoff spot.

If he was saying 5 games over .500 by the trade deadline, that would mean 7-2 starting last night. Considering he was leaning towards buyers mode already.......he gives the goal of 7-2.....say they go 6-3 and are 6 points out with 20 games left......you know that is good enough for Pegula to forgive, and give Darcy another chance yet again to make a move for the short term fuzzy feeling like last year, only to fall short of any meaningful results and giving up an opportunity to sell in a sellers market. 2 years down the drain....pretty much a full salary cap with many of the same underachievers on board......and we get to do it all again next year.

But next year will be different....because we can't possibly have anyone injured and 10-12 guys won't be at career lows in output.

Here's a little formula for Ted Black.........Dx15+Ly15= 0 Cups

Without trying to read between the lines or trying to interpret what he really means, it is the point about the twenty spreadsheets that speaks volumes. Anyone listenting to the evolution of his seasonal shows can see the amount of over-analization(sic?) Reiger goes through to prove his point.

It is one thing to use analytical tools to build a team and to find out what has been successful for past champions. Reiger,however, seems to violate the basic principal of research when he looks for explanations to explain his failure rather then going into the process with an open mind and use the results to correct his mistakes.

Without trying to read between the lines or trying to interpret what he really means, it is the point about the twenty spreadsheets that speaks volumes. Anyone listenting to the evolution of his seasonal shows can see the amount of over-analization(sic?) Reiger goes through to prove his point.

It is one thing to use analytical tools to build a team and to find out what has been successful for past champions. Reiger,however, seems to violate the basic principal of research when he looks for explanations to explain his failure rather then going into the process with an open mind and use the results to correct his mistakes.

Excellent post!

Thank you sir!

He ALWAYS has a little numbers diddy he pulls out. Last year he was railing to get rid of 10% of the hits in the league to eliminate 90% of injuries. He pulled out all kinds of goodies. How about he goes and finds the 10% of players that can lay out those types of hits instead of the 10% who seem to absorb them all the time?

You need to listen to what he says......they even try to get him to clarify what his goal is. That is the point.....he manipulates anything he can to look good....and the way Pegula has acted so far, I can just see Darcy doing his spreadsheet tapdance for Pegula and Pegula sitting in the corner, rubbing his hands, going..."Oh!...Goodie!Goodie!Goodie!"

For any unpartial observers that never quite understood the "Team Stormcloud" viewpoint......an interview like yesterday is pretty much the definition of the point between Purgatory and Hell for us. Year after year....the carrot of real change is dangled in front of us, and a logical progression would see that change carried out. Then the devil's wind starts a blowin'.....and we are left stranded once again. To hear Darcy tap and shine is just like the Devil laughing at us as we lay desolate.

I am not even trying to be cute. That's how it feels. I would be angry years ago, but I am so used to it now I just shrug after my initial cringe. Groundhog Day the movie......seriously, it's not a cliche...it's really what it feels like as the alarm goes off.

I got you, babe.

Yes, but Lindy felt that this team was pretty special last summer...

I have not listened to Darcy Regier for some time, I have come to the point where any words Regier, Black or Pegula speak have become truly meaningless. On your recommendation I listened to his segment on Schopp and the Bulldog. It was 13 minutes of nothingness.

Regier stated "the caring is extraordinary" , just words, words not proven by any actions on the ice or by the management team.

The Team is as .500? 23 wins out 53 games is 4 games under .500. As GoDD pointed out, a point a game will be nowhere good enough. This team needs wins, they have six teams to jump over to get into the playoffs, any 1 point game is a point lost.

Regier stated that there are few buyers and few sellers. I would love to know which teams he contacted. I don't believe he contacted any, and has no idea what teams are willing to do what at this point. Regier will do what he always does and wait until after teams have made their moves and act all bewildered at the state of the market place.

If Regier and company need between now and the trade deadline to determine which direction they need to go than this franchise is truly cursed and damned to Status-Quo Hell. .

This is definitely the longest trade deadline wait I think ive ever gone through, I don't even care if we buy or sell I would just like it to get here so I know whether to continue cheering this team or wait patiently for next year. It wears a fan down waiting for a move to be made for 2 and a half months.

You're young. Just wait until you have been through 30 or 40 trade deadlines, all pretty much with the same results ... sitting in limbo.

I have very little faith in DR and expert more of the same this coming trade deadline.

You're young. Just wait until you have been through 30 or 40 trade deadlines, all pretty much with the same results ... sitting in limbo.

I have very little faith in DR and expert more of the same this coming trade deadline.

I am expecting plenty of anticlimactic deadlines, I was just referencing the fact that the rumors cropped up in late November, early December, and people have been waiting months for a move to be made. In the past, nothing was expected, so the wait didn't start until late January, a much more bearable time period for a desperate hockey fan.

I will also readily admit that I had hope that maybe this deadline will be different, but that hope was crushed and tossed aside listening to Ted, Terry, and Darcy talk to the public.

Archived