Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I reconnected (I hate that word, it's stupid, but I am also stupid and I can't come up with a better one) with a friend that I haven't talked to in about a year and a half today. I sent her a random text message, reminiscing about a day from 11 years ago(exactly 11 years ago). She remembered it like yesterday. 3 minutes later and we have concert plans for when I'm home in August! That's friendship. Being able to have a conversation after more than a year without seeing each other and it goes off like no time has elapsed.

Christ, I miss home.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. 

Best of luck, man!!!! 

OU is a good place. Athens is small, just watch out for their infamous halloween parties... 

Haha. I think I've managed to get a place far enough away from the epicenter so that I don't feel like I'm living out the events of The Purge. Then again, it looks a lot farther away on a map than it actually is, soooooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bailing on the dissertation? You sound like me :lol:

Like....you?!?! I'm suddenly feeling I may have made the wrong decision :nana:

Congrats on the move TrueBlue.
Staying within academia, my first manuscript as corresponding author just accepted for publication. Drinking the good stuff tonight.

Congrats! I've heard not a single good thing about the publishing process.

Death, taxes, and academics complaining about the publishing process :lol:

And the population of Sabres fans in Ohio goes up by 1!

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig at OU. It's neat that most places you go in Ohio, everyone knows UB because of the MAC. Obviously OU will be no exception.

And assuming a coaching change, I'm definitely going to a Sabres game in Columbus. It's only about an hour drive, so not bad at all.

You're gonna love Ohio, congrats man! Don't sweat not knowing people, meeting new people may just be the best part.

I still fully expect you to make the drive for the SS game next year though

So long as it's on a weekend.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

For the past couple of years I've been pretty dissatisfied with my career choice. Probably more than dissatisfied, but I'll leave it at that. Long story short, I opted to attempt a career change into academic advising/counseling. After trying for about a year to get a job, it became apparent I needed a different degree and more directly applicable experience. So back to grad school I go. I have officially accepted an offer at Ohio University, where I will be pursuing an EdM in College Student Personnel. While there, I'll be working as a graduate assistant in their Student Advising Center, which includes a full tuition waiver and a generous (as far as these things go) stipend. I'll be getting perfect experience for the career I'm pursuing, and incurring minimal additional debt as a bonus (about $7k total over the next two years for mandatory fees & health insurance).

Walking away from something I've been working at since 2008, in a field where I now have six years of work experience, with a half-written dissertation to boot, is easily the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm certain it's the right move for me. For the first time in my life I'll be moving out of the Buffalo area and to a place where I know literally nobody, which is both exciting and a bit scary, but I'm pretty stoked to finally be on the right path and ready to tackle the impending challenges. Offer accepted, lease signed, moving in August. It's a great feeling. Onward!

Best of wishes extended to you TrueBlue.

Ohio is pretty much just as cold a Buffalo, so be sure to pack all your elbow patched cardigans, my friend.

For the past couple of years I've been pretty dissatisfied with my career choice. Probably more than dissatisfied, but I'll leave it at that. Long story short, I opted to attempt a career change into academic advising/counseling. After trying for about a year to get a job, it became apparent I needed a different degree and more directly applicable experience. So back to grad school I go. I have officially accepted an offer at Ohio University, where I will be pursuing an EdM in College Student Personnel. While there, I'll be working as a graduate assistant in their Student Advising Center, which includes a full tuition waiver and a generous (as far as these things go) stipend. I'll be getting perfect experience for the career I'm pursuing, and incurring minimal additional debt as a bonus (about $7k total over the next two years for mandatory fees & health insurance).

Walking away from something I've been working at since 2008, in a field where I now have six years of work experience, with a half-written dissertation to boot, is easily the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm certain it's the right move for me. For the first time in my life I'll be moving out of the Buffalo area and to a place where I know literally nobody, which is both exciting and a bit scary, but I'm pretty stoked to finally be on the right path and ready to tackle the impending challenges. Offer accepted, lease signed, moving in August. It's a great feeling. Onward!

We will be well represented in Ohio. Congratulations for making choices, taking risks, and pursuing happiness! Edited by Neo

Since True established that this is the thread for these things,

Today I accepted my offer to attend the University of Oklahoma to pursue my dream of publishing original physics research en route to a PhD. I don't have a lot of self-confidence so I'm preparing to flunk all of my qualifying exams (they have 3........ help) and my classes, but I'm thrilled at the opportunity to give it a go. I'm going to give this everything I've got. And it's always fun to break new ground - Oklahoma will receive perhaps its first hockey fan and Trump skeptic in its 110 years of existence! 

All kidding aside, I'm thrilled and terrified at the same time. It's going to be a wild ride.

Today I accepted my offer to attend the University of Oklahoma to pursue my dream of publishing original physics research en route to a PhD. I don't have a lot of self-confidence so I'm preparing to flunk all of my qualifying exams (they have 3........ help) and my classes, but I'm thrilled at the opportunity to give it a go. I'm going to give this everything I've got. And it's always fun to break new ground - Oklahoma will receive perhaps its first hockey fan and Trump skeptic in its 110 years of existence! 

All kidding aside, I'm thrilled and terrified at the same time. It's going to be a wild ride.

You can do it!!

Good for you, dude. Go crush it.

Just remember: if at first you don't succeed, give up.

Awesome indeed!

The best news is being a Buffalo sports fan has prepared you for semi-regular soul crushing Bowl game losses :p

Best of luck to you guys, True and Flagg. Good stuff.

My big change of life event was I just got a new bass amp. Don't get me wrong, it's not moving halfway across the country, but going from a 75lb amp to one that is 4lbs (yet has twice the power) is pretty life changing.

Such good news. Well earned!