Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Awesome. One of my fondest memories is playing shinny in Marsh Lake, YT in late January. While in the warming hut changing out of our gear, someone burst in and alerted us to the northern lights that just started. We all emptied out and the rink and parking lot lots were all turned off and we just watched them,… and drank.

46 yrs old. Lived in upstate NY my entire life. Never have seen the northern lights.

46 yrs old. Lived in upstate NY my entire life. Never have seen the northern lights.

I've seen them twice in NY, but they were just some weird, plain white flashes. In the Yukon, they were these bright green swirling masses that filled the entire sky. Anyone who hunts or fishes, owes it to themselves to go to Alaska.

took a few photo's of people shoveling a hockey rink, skating patch on Avon River in Stratford today, snow falling down. I just awesomely beautiful. It cool to watch older folks creep down to river, those who have not skated in years, giving it a go. Moms and Dads, taking children out regaled in Christmas hockey gear and skates. Such is some of the most precious memories of life.

Our school in Millbank, is a self sustained Mennonite school, we have built it and pay for it in all ways. The field that surrounds school serves as ball field in season, the boards are put up for rink to be flooded. As a group of people I believe we have a wonderful time each year skating and playing hockey, everyone included, young , old, men , women, boys, girls. The beaming looks of those participating is awesome , is special

that's feckin' poetry is what it is.

I've seen them twice in NY, but they were just some weird, plain white flashes. In the Yukon, they were these bright green swirling masses that filled the entire sky. Anyone who hunts or fishes, owes it to themselves to go to Alaska.

Some day.....

It's one of my dreams to see them and the aurora australis someday. I'm borderline obsessed with Alaska, arctic, and antarctic studies/explorations as well as mountain climbing. Those lights though... man, I just can't imagine too many things that would be much more magical than seeing them.

Because of street lights ect in cities the northern lights not as likely to be as visible

Living on a farm where it is dark have seen them a number of times there are sites devoted to this which will give you dates and times in your area as to when it be possible to view them one recommendation given always is to view in the darkest area possible

Here in North Jersey. Looking at the Google Map machine, I'm actually surprised at how many there still are. Just none near me.

It's funny how that works. Remember Perkins restaurants, and how they disappeared back in the 90s? Central PA is littered with them. I thought they disappeared entirely.

It's funny how that works. Remember Perkins restaurants, and how they disappeared back in the 90s? Central PA is littered with them. I thought they disappeared entirely.

The local franchisee was bought out by a Denny's franchisee after bankruptcy. That's why you don't see them around anymore in the Ra-cha-cha region.

The Fairport Perkins became a post office.

Edited by Taro T

Mother is 102, is afflicted with dementia, but has a great deal still of lucid moments. Her physicality is still excellent , she a working farm lady who never drank or smoked , like many anonymous people simple has lived her life doing the best she could, I marvel looking over the dinner table at her and the privilege of being able to have access to over a century of experience. This to me is awesome.

of note Ottawa beats Galt Ontario 7-3 in Stanley Cup... on March 13, 1911

Edited by millbank

Mother is 102, is afflicted with dementia, but has a great deal still of lucid moments. Her physicality is still excellent , she a working farm lady who never drank or smoked , like many anonymous people simple has lived her life doing the best she could, I marvel looking over the dinner table at her and the privilege of being able to have access to over a century of experience. This to me is awesome.

We just celebrated my grandmother's 96th birthday yesterday. She's still sharp as a tack but can't really get around.

Grandmothers are awesome.

bread just out of the oven, fresh and hot, butter just melts on spreading , wonderful taste sensation, along with first corn on the cob, going out to field picking some , popping it into pot of boiling water a few minutes, slathering it with butter and a bit of salt, sitting in the farmyard on the benches , family together munching away each with corn and butter all over the mouth but not caring a bit , as the taste each year something to look forward to... awesome

Called in for jury duty this morning. Was dreading having to drive home in snowpocalypse today and possibly having to venture back in tomorrow. Well, they called my name before noon, said the case I had been picked for had adjourned and I was free for another 7 years. Home in time for lunch, and hibernating 'til Wednesday...awesome! :)

At urgent care with an employee...again. Man this gets old.

The local franchisee was bought out by a Denny's franchisee after bankruptcy. That's why you don't see them around anymore in the Ra-cha-cha region.

The Fairport Perkins became a post office.

Spent many a night at 3 am in that post office

The Sean Penn-directed movie "Into the Wild" is quite awesome, powerful and moving. It's an adaptation of the Jon Krakauer book of the same name that recounts the travels of a recent college graduate intent on making it to, and surviving in, the Alaskan wilderness — but it's less a survival story and more a story about the journey to that place, the reasons for the journey and the ultimate lessons learned. The performance by Hal Holbrook as a grandfather figure the young man meets along the way is remarkable.

The Sean Penn-directed movie "Into the Wild" is quite awesome, powerful and moving. It's an adaptation of the Jon Krakauer book of the same name that recounts the travels of a recent college graduate intent on making it to, and surviving in, the Alaskan wilderness — but it's less a survival story and more a story about the journey to that place, the reasons for the journey and the ultimate lessons learned. The performance by Hal Holbrook as a grandfather figure the young man meets along the way is remarkable.

I think the ultimate lesson learned was, "if you are going to live off the land, take a basic field manual of wild edibles with you."

Edited by SwampD

I love the scenery of that movie. It's one that I actually will crave to watch occasionally. Eddie Vedder's music actually fits in pretty well, too. Really gets my wanderlust going and makes me miss the west like crazy. One of these days I should actually read the book.

They are excellent, the best in WNY by a mile IMO. Big, cooked to perfection and not overly sauced unless requested. The hand carved beef on weck is great as well. If you are anywhere in WNY, it's well worth the trip out to East Aurora to give them a try sometime.

I always thought this and they're amazing, but I have found that the hot Cajun wings at vinny's on Clinton in West Seneca are even better and wings are always 40 cents each every day.... I highly recommend... Plus 250 pints

Forget for a minute the inappropriateness of bringing your 11 year old to a Steel Panther show. This kid is awesome...Van Halen Eruption/You Really Got Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79kxAaMf3I

Well apparently this thing has gone viral. Diane Sawyer just played this clip on ABC World News tonight. Steel Panther on the nightly news..maybe next time they'll interview the drummer Stix Zadinia. :lol: