Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

The Malamute. Closing today for good. Im here with my dad and brother enjoying a Guinness.

What a treat it was to stop by here and chat with Mr. Pyszczek for a few minutes on the day they closed their doors for good. I certainly was never a regular here, but I did stop in on quite a few occasions pre and post game when I was a Sabres season ticket holder. He gave me a signed copy of an old menu that is shown in the slideshow link below that will be going up on the wall in my man cave. I asked him what beer prices were back then and he said it was pretty much Genny or Schmidt's... 3 for $1.

In addition to all the historical pictures he had displayed on a table as you walk in, he had pictures taken just last week from atop the crane building the HARBORcenter. Very cool.

http://www.buffalone...t-ward-20130726

http://www.buffalone...&ref=ph&site=bn

Edited by Claude_Verret

Eid al-Fitr!!

Ramadan ended yesterday evening at sunset.

Eid is awesome, but to be honest I prefer Ramadan. We just went through 30 days of fasting to focus on many things, including the fact that we are richly blessed by the grace of Allah, and many others are less fortunate. This fast is followed by 3 days of celebration, which is suposed to quite low-key with family, friends and should include the poor and less fortunate. It's been my experience that in many cases the celebrations are not that low-key. My feeling is that the only thing some get out of the fasting is the pangs of hunger and thirst.

Anyway, thank you all for the good wishes and kind words. The fasting (from true dawn to sunset ... about 17 hours here in Halifax at this time of year) is difficult when Ramadan falls in the summer here. There were some days that were very hot and humid and I had to take some water in those afternoons. The fasting is not intended to be excessively difficult and one is to immediately end the fast on days that they feel that harming themselves by fasting is a real possibility. Not harming oneself is paramount. So, I will have to make up some fasting time this month, or at some point.

My wife and I prayed the special Eid prayers at home just now. Most Muslims pray these prayers in gongregation and here, in Halifax, none of the mosques are able to accomodate the numbers. It's kind of like Christmas and Easter at many Christian churches, or like Yom Kippur in many synagogues ... you know the days when they are overflowing, as opposed to almost empty on just about every other day. We just don't like the crowds at the local hockey arena.

=====

Just skimming a bit and will read more in detail later.

A few obsevations of awesomeness ...

Contrats to shrader and his bride. I wish for you many years of wedded bliss.

Congrats to TBPhD on the teaching gig. I hope it is the start of a good trend. I too have picked up my first "official" teaching gig ... it's been something that I have thought I would like to try for some time now. The course I am teaching is on Simply Accounting (a very popular accounting software package). I use it alot and have held lectures on it and trained many people on it, but this is the first time in such a setting.

I saw some clown by the name of Paul that was really Kruse('in) for a bruzz('in). And, just maybe he got it.

Also, for what its worth, I really think that GoDD is awesome.

For the record …

In regard to the series of posts by GoDD concerning a photo. I have always been one of his biggest boosters and will continue as such. Like his content, or not, I think we all can pretty much agree that his posts are, at the very least, thought provoking.

From what I have read of his posts he is linking to some very unsavory events in general. As far as I can tell he is not linking the Sabres, or anyone in the organization, to those events. He did try to get people to think about the real implications of such a photo and I admit that my old computer did not allow me to view it, for which I am thankful. Most members did not seem to grasp what he was getting at, IMO. DeLuca and nobody touched on it, but I think GoDD was trying to illustrate that a photo like that is very inappropriate and is, IMO, abusive in nature.

I think we can all agree that abuse, of any kind, only happens when a person of influence preys on a vulnerable person. In my view that is what is happening, from my understanding of the contents of the photo (again, I did not see it). I believe that was the point the GoDD was trying to hammer home.

This, IMO, was not a “boys being boys” situation. These boys were made to do something that they would never ever do (probably) under any circumstance, unless they were made to by someone of influence = abuse. Sexual abuse and exploitation does not only happen when actual sex happens. When sex does happen it becomes something else, most often an act of violence … rape. And I am not saying that happened in this case.

These boys were rookies in a sport environment, one of the most notorious for the potential of a person of influence doing just that over vulnerable people. It happened at a dinner event. The boys (mid-teens) were made to dress up, not just as women, as female prostitutes … people who accept money in exchange for sex. That alone has distasteful connotations. To me it is obvious that, at best, older team members and at worst, coaches, or both were responsible for making them do it. I say making in the sense that none of the boys could refuse for fear of the repercussions. By definition that is abuse. It seems that in a later post it was brought to light that someone at the dinner (older player, coach?) transferred out of the program the next year. That tells me something.

I, for one, applaud GoDD for bringing this to light.

The conversation sort of drifted from there resulting in a ban. I won’t address that issue as that is completely up to the mods, but it has caused me to think about it.

=====

We now return you to your regularly scheduled awesome thread.

Oh, yeah. Anything of note happen in Sabreland during my fast?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I think your fasting and prayers helped get us to hear RJ for 3 more years - so thanks for that! :)

=====

We re-signed Tropp and PA put the Sabres history to the tune of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire. I think you're caught up now. ;)

We re-signed Tropp and PA put the Sabres history to the tune of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire. I think you're caught up now. ;)

Thanks, Bio.

Wow that was a busy month for the Sabres.

=====

Since the Friday thread is closed, I'll put this here.

My teaching gig has gone so well that they asked me to teach 3 - 6 week blocks in a row of Accounting Fundamentals / Simply Accounting to non-Accounting major (Vet Assistant program) students. Basically a full-time gig from Labour Day through mid-January. I may teach a 6 week basic income tax course after that, which would get me to the height of tax season.

AWESOME!!

This guy:

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/credit-cards/russian-man-changes-fine-print/

Dmitry Agarkov of Voronezh, Russia, scanned a credit card's agreement and amended it to his liking in 2008. This week, a Russian judge said the bank is legally bound to the altered contract.

Unimpressed by a credit card offer from Tinkoff Credit Systems, Agarkov's changes included a zero percent interest rate, no fees and no credit limit. He also stipulated that he would fine the bank 3 million rubles ($91,294) if the bank didn't comply with his terms and 6 million rubles ($182,589) if Tinkoff closed the account. Agarkov submitted the altered contract. Tinkoff certified the document and sent him a card that Agarkov used for four years without incident.