Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Spinning some records tonight. I was blessed this Christmas with an unexpected gift of a Audio-Technica LP120 turntable, a significant upgrade over any turntable I've ever owned. Most of mine have been flea market rigs over the years. 

We had been using an old belt drive Realistic that was Josie's and quite frankly the tone arm worried me. I have some nice limited run LPs of various blues musicians that I couldn't play on it for fear of hurting them. The thrift store albums were no issue. 

Now I'm rocking this nice piece of equipment. Pulled my old Sony receiver out of storage and hooked Josie's old KLH bookshelf speakers up to it. The sound is tremendous even on those lil bookshelf units. They perform surprisingly well in the low end, but the higher ranges definitely run out of room. They'll do for now, but I'm going to want to upgrade. This process scares me given how picky I can get about sound and how expensive bookshelf speakers can get. I'll get some good floor standers again some day but for now I'm on limited space. 

This is just so much fun to do again. I love just chilling on the couch and running through albums.

-The A-side of  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is so underappreciated.

-BTO's Not Fragile has such a fat sound, especially the title track.

-Bowie's Changes Two.

-Styx's Kilroy Was Here is just as fun as ever, Mr. Roboto reminds me of a VW commercial from the late 90s. 

-And how about the most water-damaged Grand Funk to ever be picked out of the trash? The sleeve is a mess, but the record: oh so nice. 

My family has awakened a slumbering monster. 

Edited by mörksabre

Kilroy was here is an abomination. A pox upon all who still listen to that wrenched pile of dung.

Paradise Theater, on the other hand, is an appropriate spin on that rig.

Hey, you like what you like and I'll like what I like :p

I know Kilroy is universally disliked. But Mr Roboto gets me every time. I loved that song when I was a kid.

I have to admit, I'm annoyed with one of the newer albums I bought. It's clearly cut from a digital recording rather than analog, so the depth of sound just isn't there. I thought it was my speakers at first but it's not. The recording is just a lie.

Spinning some records tonight. I was blessed this Christmas with an unexpected gift of a Audio-Technica LP120 turntable, a significant upgrade over any turntable I've ever owned. Most of mine have been flea market rigs over the years.

We had been using an old belt drive Realistic that was Josie's and quite frankly the tone arm worried me. I have some nice limited run LPs of various blues musicians that I couldn't play on it for fear of hurting them. The thrift store albums were no issue.

Now I'm rocking this nice piece of equipment. Pulled my old Sony receiver out of storage and hooked Josie's old KLH bookshelf speakers up to it. The sound is tremendous even on those lil bookshelf units. They perform surprisingly well in the low end, but the higher ranges definitely run out of room. They'll do for now, but I'm going to want to upgrade. This process scares me given how picky I can get about sound and how expensive bookshelf speakers can get. I'll get some good floor standers again some day but for now I'm on limited space.

This is just so much fun to do again. I love just chilling on the couch and running through albums.

-The A-side of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is so underappreciated.

-BTO's Not Fragile has such a fat sound, especially the title track.

-Bowie's Changes Two.

-Styx's Kilroy Was Here is just as fun as ever, Mr. Roboto reminds me of a VW commercial from the late 90s.

-And how about the most water-damaged Grand Funk to ever be picked out of the trash? The sleeve is a mess, but the record: oh so nice.

My family has awakened a slumbering monster.

Awesome album. Haven't listened to it for probably 19 years - ever since my kid 1st rolling around on the floor accidentally turned the turntable on & burned out the motor. :(

Awesome album. Haven't listened to it for probably 19 years - ever since my kid 1st rolling around on the floor accidentally turned the turntable on & burned out the motor. :(

You owe it to yourself to get a new turntable my man.

Not Fragile was one of my first thrift store scores back in the day and still one of my favorites.

I'm going to build a record cleaning rig so I can get some of my dirty vinyl cleaned up. This new turntable is showing me just how much a clean record means for sound quality.

Edited by mörksabre

You owe it to yourself to get a new turntable my man.

Not Fragile was one of my first thrift store scores back in the day and still one of my favorites.

I'm going to build a record cleaning rig so I can get some of my dirty vinyl cleaned up. This new turntable is showing me just how much a clean record means for sound quality.

I don't have any vinyl, but these turntables have fascinated me since I was young and first read about them. They use lasers to read the groove so you get the LP sound with no hiss or pops from the stylus running down the groove. Unfortunately they're in the 5-figures so not for average humans to own.

http://elpj.com/

Side note: must read up on how quadrophonic records work.

Edited by MattiPaj

I don't have any vinyl, but these turntables have fascinated me since I was young and first read about them. They use lasers to read the groove so you get the LP sound with no hiss or pops from the stylus running down the groove. Unfortunately they're in the 5-figures so not for average humans to own.

That is awesome.

Hey, you like what you like and I'll like what I like :P

I know Kilroy is universally disliked. But Mr Roboto gets me every time. I loved that song when I was a kid.

I have to admit, I'm annoyed with one of the newer albums I bought. It's clearly cut from a digital recording rather than analog, so the depth of sound just isn't there. I thought it was my speakers at first but it's not. The recording is just a lie.

Oh, boy, you are in the soup now. I gave my turntable to a buddy of mine about two years ago and it was the best decision of my life. I listen to soooo many more records now over at his house than I ever did at home. I just didn't have the time or interest.

The fact that it is digital probably has nothing to do with the depth of sound. You just don't like what the mastering engineer did. We have gone down the rabbit hole on so many LPs and compared them to different pressings and compared them to the CDs and even the cassette in some cases (I gave him my cassette player too). Sometimes the LP is better, sometimes it's the CD. Sometimes certain individual songs sound better on one over the other.

And if space is an issue, don't be afraid to get a sub. The make some really nice smaller ones that when used tastefully, can really fill out the bottom on bookshelf speakers. I can't stand when subs are too loud (which is probably in about 97% of American homes, I mean, ya gotta have yer house shakin' when Vin Diesel comes a skreechin' around that corner, right?). When used correctly, you don't even know they are there. It just sounds better.

Edited by TräskB

Well that's interesting. 

That is awesome.

Oh, boy, you are in the soup now. I gave my turntable to a buddy of mine about two years ago and it was the best decision of my life. I listen to soooo many more records now over at his house than I ever did at home. I just didn't have the time or interest.

The fact that it is digital probably has nothing to do with the depth of sound. You just don't like what the mastering engineer did. We have gone down the rabbit hole on so many LPs and compared them to different pressings and compared them to the CDs and even the cassette in some cases (I gave him my cassette player too). Sometimes the LP is better, sometimes it's the CD. Sometimes certain individual songs sound better on one over the other.

And if space is an issue, don't be afraid to get a sub. The make some really nice smaller ones that when used tastefully, can really fill out the bottom on bookshelf speakers. I can't stand when subs are too loud (which is probably in about 97% of American homes, I mean, ya gotta have yer house shakin' when Vin Diesel comes a skreechin' around that corner, right?). When used correctly, you don't even know they are there. It just sounds better.

You could be right about the mixing, but man, whatever the case is, it's a bad record. 

I've been thinking about going the sub route. We'll see. I think my first order of business is getting some of my records cleaned up. 

I think I'm going to build a DIY washer. There are lots of plans out there.

Do you or your buddy have any brushes or cleaning fluids you like? 

Well that's interesting. 

You could be right about the mixing, but man, whatever the case is, it's a bad record. 

I've been thinking about going the sub route. We'll see. I think my first order of business is getting some of my records cleaned up. 

I think I'm going to build a DIY washer. There are lots of plans out there.

Do you or your buddy have any brushes or cleaning fluids you like? 

1st b. There are some horrible re-masters out there. It's almost like the guy wanted it to sound like Apple ear buds.

2nd b. I'll ask him later today. He's probably still asleep from spinning LPs until 4am.

1st b. There are some horrible re-masters out there. It's almost like the guy wanted it to sound like Apple ear buds.

2nd b. I'll ask him later today. He's probably still asleep from spinning LPs until 4am.

Thanks.

As to the bolded, ain't that the truth. Sometimes I think the mixes are done now to make them sound better on streaming services and mobile phones than on the physical album or something. 

Thanks.

As to the bolded, ain't that the truth. Sometimes I think the mixes are done now to make them sound better on streaming services and mobile phones than on the physical album or something. 

Mastering is crazy because hearing is crazy. It reminds me of a story about the Yamaha NS10 speaker. They weren't very good speakers, but they ended up being popular because some travelling producers and big-name freelance sound engineers starting using them as "basic hi-fi speakers" so they had a reference of what stuff would sound like on average people's equipment. That's all good, it's a foolish person that doesn't make sure their product doesn't work well for the masses, but people started using them as the main mix with their somewhat questionable sound reproduction resulting in bad mixes. A friend mentioned some sound guys have a "de-NS10" preset to correct for their sound.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

Mastering is crazy because hearing is crazy. It reminds me of a story about the Yamaha NS10 speaker. They weren't very good speakers, but they ended up being popular because some travelling producers and big-name freelance sound engineers starting using them as "basic hi-fi speakers" so they had a reference of what stuff would sound like on average people's equipment. That's all good, it's a foolish person that doesn't make sure their product doesn't work well for the masses, but people started using them as the main mix with their somewhat questionable sound reproduction resulting in bad mixes. A friend mentioned some sound guys have a "de-NS10" preset to correct for their sound.

That doesn't surprise me at all. There's so much "this guy says this is great!" stuff when it comes to audio equipment. You could spend your life reading reviews for speakers 100 people think are great but 5 people think those other people are insane. Who is right? I'm not sure I can trust the wisdom of the crowd with this stuff because maybe what works for them isn't what works for me, especially in an era where so many people are getting their music from compressed and distorted digital streaming formats. 

That's why I like vintage stuff and thrift shopping. I can spend pennies and maybe end up with a great set of speakers that work great for my listening space and my equipment setup. There's a great little shop out in Rochester called Audio Sound Solutions. Just a guy and his dog, surrounded by old speakers, head units, etc. When I moved in the spring I took some old floor standing speakers to him to just get rid of because one of them was worn out and I didn't have the space for them at the new place. I'm worried he's going to close some day and that'll be the end of that. Which would be too bad. 

I might take a trip back up there soon and see if I can't find an upgrade pair of vintage bookshelf speakers there. But I have to be able to listen to them. 

I'm in the industry and actually learned to mix on NS10s. I remember reading a Mix Magazine article 25 years ago (with charts and analysis) on what type of tissue to tape over the tweeters to soften the highs.

And there has always been different masters for the intended end product. Mixes for radio play usually have the vocals 3+db hotter because ot the compression they use, LPs have to be mastered so that you end up in the adjioning groove, etc.

I'm no audiophile, or even music collector or aficionado. I love getting vinyl, though. For me, its the first time I've really listened to albums in total, as they are supposed to be heard. I didn't buy many CD's when I was in highschool, and when I did usually they were "best of's". Putting on a record and having the whole thing play, front to back, is great. 

I'm almost always spinning something when I'm brewing, its the perfect time, really.

I'm convinced that the experience of listening to LPs is so great for one reason, there isn't one of these.

post-1429-0-42451200-1514996332_thumb.png

You're forced to just slow down, and take it all in,... cuz I ain't pullin' my fat azz out o this chair to change the song...