Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I have been working on two job applications.  Both are not your 'ordinary' jobs that I would normally be applying for.  To put this into perspective I have been working on both, but one in particular full-time (pretty much) for about a month.

That one is through a UN related agency and had an application deadline of today.  I was working on my last 'massages' of my application when they updated the deadline to apply to June 30, 2017.  Praise be to Allah.

The second one is to be a Senator from NS.  Recently, the feds have opened up the Senate to applicants ... this one I have no realistic chance at it, but the fact that I am lazy and an not 'connected' may actually work in my favour.  A good friend of ours, who's career and ambition is unsurpassed in our circle of friends, was rejected recently, which leads me to believe that the feds were worried that she would work very hard as a Senator and would be too on the ball.

-----

Also, Happy Birthday to Ohiofan.

Best wishes NS! Go for it!

Had a great New Year's Eve with the family. Had a "little" too much to drink, watched a funny movie (secret life of pets) and a fire in the fireplace. Had the yearly tradition of hearing Columbus sound like Baghdad at midnight. All in all a thumbs up!

Thanks, guys.

I did send in that UN related one at about 11:30 PM (NS time) ... funny thing though is it is date stamped at 4:30 AM ...  :censored:  ... I wanted it in before mid-night. This agency is based in Rome ...  :flirt:  and there you go with the time stamp.  When they see that it came from NS they should be able to work it out.

I really like this one and my work experience is well-suited.  

They are looking for accountants to be on 11 month renewable retainer contracts, which is great, as you would be paid to be on-call.  Then as 'missions' (all UN agencies go on 'missions' rather than 'assignments', or whatever) open up, which would range from 5 - 14 days, in parts of eastern Europe, Asia and Africa they would go to their 'pool' of accountants and send them to do accounting stuff.

The home station would be Rome, which would be absolutely awesome.  Can you imagine being stationed in Rome, be paid to sit around and drink coffee, or travel around Europe, and then maybe go on a mission or two, or three (?) to some exotic place over the course of a year and then sign a contract extension to do it all again for another year.  Oh, yeah, where do I sign.

The agency is in agriculture and helps farmers set up sustainable farming in areas that are developing their farming.  The agency finances the operations of these farms and this is where the accounting comes in.  They need auditors (not me) and then accountants that understand the auditors reports and recommendations to make sure that it all happens (that's me).

On top of it all the UN pays very well and it is, are you guys sitting down, TAX FREE!!  If I put in two years I'd be eligible for a UN pension ... TAX FREE!!

Things like this never happen for us, so ... but I am hopeful, since most accountants out there would not be ale to put work on hold in order to do something like this and working for myself allows me to do so.  That will definitely work in my favour.

As far the Senator goes I realistically have no chance and Ottawa is our Washington, DC so ...  :sick: .  I would have to spend a lot of time in Ottawa.

Dumb question: aren't senators elected in Canada?

Not a dumb question.

The answer, on the other hand is dumb, IMO ... No.

Senators are appointed in Canada and the usual way is for the Prime Minister to appoint their buddies and party loyalists.  There has been long-term demand for change to an elected Senate, but that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

A first change is to open it up to applicants, who go through an interview process of sorts and then are appointed ... baby steps.

One of the parts of the application are to explain the workings and importance of the Senate and explain why you feel you make a good candidate.  Needless to say I am doing a lot of research into that.

Not a dumb question.

The answer, on the other hand is dumb, IMO ... No.

Senators are appointed in Canada and the usual way is for the Prime Minister to appoint their buddies and party loyalists.  There has been long-term demand for change to an elected Senate, but that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

A first change is to open it up to applicants, who go through an interview process of sorts and then are appointed ... baby steps.

One of the parts of the application are to explain the workings and importance of the Senate and explain why you feel you make a good candidate.  Needless to say I am doing a lot of research into that.

So next question: does your upper house (senate) have any power?  Is it like ours where they really have a ton of power?  Or are they more like the House of Lords in the UK?

Thanks, guys.

I did send in that UN related one at about 11:30 PM (NS time) ... funny thing though is it is date stamped at 4:30 AM ...  :censored:  ... I wanted it in before mid-night. This agency is based in Rome ...  :flirt:  and there you go with the time stamp.  When they see that it came from NS they should be able to work it out.

I really like this one and my work experience is well-suited.  

They are looking for accountants to be on 11 month renewable retainer contracts, which is great, as you would be paid to be on-call.  Then as 'missions' (all UN agencies go on 'missions' rather than 'assignments', or whatever) open up, which would range from 5 - 14 days, in parts of eastern Europe, Asia and Africa they would go to their 'pool' of accountants and send them to do accounting stuff.

The home station would be Rome, which would be absolutely awesome.  Can you imagine being stationed in Rome, be paid to sit around and drink coffee, or travel around Europe, and then maybe go on a mission or two, or three (?) to some exotic place over the course of a year and then sign a contract extension to do it all again for another year.  Oh, yeah, where do I sign.

The agency is in agriculture and helps farmers set up sustainable farming in areas that are developing their farming.  The agency finances the operations of these farms and this is where the accounting comes in.  They need auditors (not me) and then accountants that understand the auditors reports and recommendations to make sure that it all happens (that's me).

On top of it all the UN pays very well and it is, are you guys sitting down, TAX FREE!!  If I put in two years I'd be eligible for a UN pension ... TAX FREE!!

Things like this never happen for us, so ... but I am hopeful, since most accountants out there would not be ale to put work on hold in order to do something like this and working for myself allows me to do so.  That will definitely work in my favour.

As far the Senator goes I realistically have no chance and Ottawa is our Washington, DC so ...  :sick: .  I would have to spend a lot of time in Ottawa.

That sounds awesome.  Rome is a fantastic location to sit around in an outdoor cafe. 

Good luck!

So next question: does your upper house (senate) have any power?  Is it like ours where they really have a ton of power?  Or are they more like the House of Lords in the UK?

More like the UK with little to no real power.

Fans like to call it the chamber of sober second thought.

In reality, it's a joke.

We are modeled after the British system, so House of Lords is more like it.  Nothing really like your Senate,  The Senate reviews every Bill after it's read in Parliament, which is usually 3 times before Parliament votes on it, but not always.  The Senate is supposed to be a house 'of sober second thought' on Bills and they are supposed to make recommendations for revisions and send them back to Parliament between the readings of the Bill and the eventual vote.  Often it is just a rubber stamp and the ruling party in Parliament does not have to do anything (not even read them) the Senate proposal for revisions to Bills.

So, as Joe Strummer said ... *quein for the House of Lords* ... that's me.

I am not sure how many Senators there are, but each province has Senators in proportion to it's population.  So, NS has many fewer than Ontario.  I would say that most Senators, up to now and the change in the process where people can apply, that 100% were political cronies and party loyalists.  One can sit as an independent, but it's very rare.  Of all the Senators in the upper chamber now I would say that 98% of them do not give a crap and don't do any work.  The other 2% take the job very seriously.

They are trying to change it and make it actually work.

That sounds awesome.  Rome is a fantastic location to sit around in an outdoor cafe. 

Good luck!

Thanks.

I'll send you guys a post card from the piazza del colloseo di Roma ...  :flirt:

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

So I opened an envelope containing a flash drive for a course I need to deliver to the apprentices. Its a sexual harassment course and I've been dreading it but when I opened the envelope the flash drive and this sticker fell out. 

IMG_0910_zpsiu6k6mz3.jpg

Looks like work is sending me to Switzerland and Germany next month.  Not sure how long but at least a week is a given.

*wonders how cold it gets in Switzerland in February*

Der Freezin yer heinie off cold I imagine. Cold region already coupled with mountains. I bet it's awesome though. I remember reading an article that popped up on my phone where you can legally get oral sex at some coffee shop in that area as well. That'll wake you up in the morning, ha ha!

Der Freezin yer heinie off cold I imagine. Cold region already coupled with mountains. I bet it's awesome though. I remember reading an article that popped up on my phone where you can legally get oral sex at some coffee shop in that area as well. That'll wake you up in the morning, ha ha!

From whom?

I feel that this is an important question.

From whom?

I feel that this is an important question.

I think the coffee shops employ prostitutes who also serve the coffee but I could be wrong on that. I'd google it but I'm at work and I work for the gubment so I'm not about to raise any red flags with IT. If you punch in oral sex coffee shop Switzerland I'm sure you can find whatever article I saw though.