What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I really don't get (and I don't care to have explained) why a paella recipe question necessitated a baby batter joke, but whatever.

We are men.....we are evolved from cavemen.....you gave the vocal cue "protein component"......we had no choice but to instinctively respond.

At least the others were classy enough to wait on the caveman with the highest strikeout rate to come in and take the swing. It was a knock on me...

I love paella....it's sort of like Gumbo.....just go for it.

Sorry Bio..... :(

We are men.....we are evolved from cavemen.....you gave the vocal cue "protein component"......we had no choice but to instinctively respond.

At least the others were classy enough to wait on the caveman with the highest strikeout rate to come in and take the swing. It was a knock on me...

I love paella....it's sort of like Gumbo.....just go for it.

Sorry Bio..... :(

Eleven is the one who first set it up, so no passes for him on that one. Only reason I didn't find it amusing is I never considered that phrasing to be a double entendre, but perhaps it's my science background and it was obvious to others. Anyhow. Today's a new day.

This is my go-to recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/paella-recipe.html

I've done it as-written a couple times, other than using a 14-oz-ish can of diced tomatoes instead of the grating thing. Some day I'll do it right to see if there's a difference. The chicken is good, but doesn't pick up much of the spice so it can be a little plain.

Since then, I've tried a few variations, but the long and the short of it is: if you have a long-cooking protein (beef, chicken, etc.), start with that. If you're not using something as greasy as chicken, add a bunch more olive oil to the pan. The last one I started with seitan, fried it until crispy, and then proceeded as directed with the veg, tomatoes, and rice. I normally use vegetable stock instead of chicken since my wife is fairly vegetarian. If you're doing seafood like shrimp or scallops, I stick those in after adding the first dose of additional broth (after the first 4 cups or so are soaked up). They'll cook fine on top, but you should either turn them over or push them down into the rice to make sure they cook through. This last time I went a little heavy on the paprika, make 1.5 tsp instead of 1. 2-3 lbs of protein for the 15" pan I have seems to be about right.

As for the rum, we did a small shot of it to start just to see what it tasted like. It wasn't bad, but the sugar and lime is a lot better.

"Baby batter"? Never heard that before. Hilarious!

Before I read upthread, I was just thinking it was an elaborate dead baby joke.

But uh... Paella is good. Best I've had was in Spain on the coast. I usually can't really get past the smell, personally- not the biggest seafood fan- but that stuff was good. I have no idea what was in it. Peeled fresh Valencia oranges and honey for dessert. It remains one of the best culinary experiences of my life.

"Baby batter"? Never heard that before. Hilarious!

Lol one of my faves... the alliteration adds to the already amusing description.

This is my go-to recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/paella-recipe.html

I've done it as-written a couple times, other than using a 14-oz-ish can of diced tomatoes instead of the grating thing. Some day I'll do it right to see if there's a difference. The chicken is good, but doesn't pick up much of the spice so it can be a little plain.

Since then, I've tried a few variations, but the long and the short of it is: if you have a long-cooking protein (beef, chicken, etc.), start with that. If you're not using something as greasy as chicken, add a bunch more olive oil to the pan. The last one I started with seitan, fried it until crispy, and then proceeded as directed with the veg, tomatoes, and rice. I normally use vegetable stock instead of chicken since my wife is fairly vegetarian. If you're doing seafood like shrimp or scallops, I stick those in after adding the first dose of additional broth (after the first 4 cups or so are soaked up). They'll cook fine on top, but you should either turn them over or push them down into the rice to make sure they cook through. This last time I went a little heavy on the paprika, make 1.5 tsp instead of 1. 2-3 lbs of protein for the 15" pan I have seems to be about right.

As for the rum, we did a small shot of it to start just to see what it tasted like. It wasn't bad, but the sugar and lime is a lot better.

Thanks! I've never had it (and was under the mistaken impression he'd made it) before, so I kind of wish I'd looked into recipes beforehand. Sounds like he might need a special pan as well. It's odd to me that most recipes have seafood or chicken, but this paella set came with chorizo. I guess it's choose-your-own adventure as long as the base flavors and spices are the same.

W.L. Weller bourbon tonight. Another gem at a ridiculously low price point.

And this is why I dig you, Bio.

:) Never would have tried it if it hadn't been for your recommendation (it was THAT cheap). My friend at work said he liked it but it gave him hangovers... something about tannins, which I thought were just in red wine?

You can get tannins from grains but I can't imagine there was enough to give a fellow a hangover. A lot of hangover stuff is urban legend. Hangovers are a product primarily of dehydration and the byproducts of metabolizing alcohol. Fusel alcohol products pay a role as well, but they are usually found in booze that hasn't been distilled carefully. Weller is the same animal as $100+/bottle Van Winkle. I doubt Weller had much in the way of fusels affecting him.

I'm thinking your friend needs to drink more water and stop blaming it on the booze!

Thanks! I've never had it (and was under the mistaken impression he'd made it) before, so I kind of wish I'd looked into recipes beforehand. Sounds like he might need a special pan as well. It's odd to me that most recipes have seafood or chicken, but this paella set came with chorizo. I guess it's choose-your-own adventure as long as the base flavors and spices are the same.

Spanish Chorizo has a similar set of flavors to paprika and garlic that I normally use. My old GF made paella a few times in an enameled cast iron dutch oven and that recipe used Spanish chorizo (the stuff that's similar to pepperoni). Essentially, do everything the same as above, but put it in the oven at 350 for awhile at the end if I remember right. It turned out pretty good, the only difference is you don't get the nice crusty rice on the bottom.

This one sounds pretty similar:

http://www.food.com/recipe/dutch-oven-paella-306445

I had the Burro Rafael with Chipotle Chicken from Rio Tomatlan in Canandaigua on Saturday.

I have not stopped thinking about how awesome it was since then. It might be the best thing I've ever eaten.

Rio Tomatlan had a fire in the bar on 5/19. They're saying 2 months for reconstruction.

I may not last that long.

You can get tannins from grains but I can't imagine there was enough to give a fellow a hangover. A lot of hangover stuff is urban legend. Hangovers are a product primarily of dehydration and the byproducts of metabolizing alcohol. Fusel alcohol products pay a role as well, but they are usually found in booze that hasn't been distilled carefully. Weller is the same animal as $100+/bottle Van Winkle. I doubt Weller had much in the way of fusels affecting him.

I'm thinking your friend needs to drink more water and stop blaming it on the booze!

Lol I was kinda thinking he was full of it, but I let him have his dignity. ;)

Spanish Chorizo has a similar set of flavors to paprika and garlic that I normally use. My old GF made paella a few times in an enameled cast iron dutch oven and that recipe used Spanish chorizo (the stuff that's similar to pepperoni). Essentially, do everything the same as above, but put it in the oven at 350 for awhile at the end if I remember right. It turned out pretty good, the only difference is you don't get the nice crusty rice on the bottom.

This one sounds pretty similar:

http://www.food.com/recipe/dutch-oven-paella-306445

Thanks again! And yes, this stuff is more like pepperoni (dried and cured).

I am drinking luke warm Dos Equis , on a plane bouncing all over the place in a storm, with smells like someone pooped their pants, after sitting through 3 hours delay at DFW....and longing for more Luke warm Dos Equis to help me forget that I think I am going to die over Louisiana somewhere.

Cheers!

I am drinking luke warm Dos Equis , on a plane bouncing all over the place in a storm, with smells like someone pooped their pants, after sitting through 3 hours delay at DFW....and longing for more Luke warm Dos Equis to help me forget that I think I am going to die over Louisiana somewhere.

Cheers!

Ouch, hope you land safe and can get some quality refreshment...I had belgium waffles for dinner with corn beef hash

Speaking of ralphing, some of you will when I say this:

That Chef Boyardee pizza in a box isn't half bad. It's not half good, either, mind you. There's something about it. Takes me back. Comfort food.

*ducks while some of you get pitchforks. I think I'm safe for awhile, as y'all are busy milling your own homegrown wheat for the crusts you'll be making later. Eleven's pepperoni is probably curing in a dark room as we speak — and yes, that's a euphemism.

That Chef Boyardee pizza in a box isn't half bad. It's not half good, either, mind you. There's something about it. Takes me back. Comfort food.

*ducks while some of you get pitchforks. I think I'm safe for awhile, as y'all are busy milling your own homegrown wheat for the crusts you'll be making later. Eleven's pepperoni is probably curing in a dark room as we speak — and yes, that's a euphemism.

It's not that bad. I grew up on that stuff. It happened to be the only pizza sauce my mom could find that didn't have enough garlic in it to put her in bed for a few days (she's highly allergic). I don't think I've had it since I was 15 or 16, and have absolutely no plans to get it anytime soon, but it's not bad.

It's not that bad. I grew up on that stuff. It happened to be the only pizza sauce my mom could find that didn't have enough garlic in it to put her in bed for a few days (she's highly allergic). I don't think I've had it since I was 15 or 16, and have absolutely no plans to get it anytime soon, but it's not bad.

Oh, and my Dad insisted on having sausage on the pizza, so it was always those frozen brown 'n serve breakfast links, cut up in little circles. Gah.

Oh, and my Dad insisted on having sausage on the pizza, so it was always those frozen brown 'n serve breakfast links, cut up in little circles. Gah.

This is right up there with the Oscar Meyers Bologna, French's mustard, and Wonderbread sandwich.

PA i don't think I have ever said this to you before......... I agree with you

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.