What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Something awesome and quick is to chop up a little pancetta, Fry it to get it a little crispy on the edges, saute a couple cloves of chopped garlic, deglaze the pan with a couple oz. of dry white wine, dump in a can of good crushed tomatoes, simmer it to let it come together for maybe 5 minutes, and add in some chopped fresh basil, maybe half a handful. Super simple, really fresh, bright, and each ingredient gets a chance to shine.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I worked briefly with a Kurdish girl, and she always wanted my boring lunches (spaghetti, etc) while I coveted her homemade biryani. And I'd never heard of those cherries until last year when a bartender in Philly introduced us to them. There's no going back to maraschino. These are what she had (and I've since ordered):

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B000YPG7RQ

OMG Bio, I am now a convert to "real" cherries in cocktails! We had close friends over for our annual holiday dinner tonight. We do a small gift exchange. My buddy got me a jar of Luxardo maraschino cherries and Fee Brothers old fashioned aromatic bitters. Of course, we had to crack them open so I grabbed a bottle of Russell's Reserve rye and made Old Fashioneds

Wow. I've never had an Old fashioned I've enjoyed as much. Totally different flavor experience. Delicious!

OMG Bio, I am now a convert to "real" cherries in cocktails! We had close friends over for our annual holiday dinner tonight. We do a small gift exchange. My buddy got me a jar of Luxardo maraschino cherries and Fee Brothers old fashioned aromatic bitters. Of course, we had to crack them open so I grabbed a bottle of Russell's Reserve rye and made Old Fashioneds

Wow. I've never had an Old fashioned I've enjoyed as much. Totally different flavor experience. Delicious!

lol now you believe me! It makes such a huge difference in flavor. Glad you got to try them!

lol now you believe me! It makes such a huge difference in flavor. Glad you got to try them!

I had no idea. The flavor of the cherries, and the bitters too, were just so much more prominent, but not in a bad way, in a way that made the drink so much more.

I had no idea. The flavor of the cherries, and the bitters too, were just so much more prominent, but not in a bad way, in a way that made the drink so much more.

These bitters are pretty awesome, too:

http://bittercube.com/products/

I've mostly used the orange and cherry bark vanilla, but I love the flavors and how they come in these cool medicine dropper-style bottles!

All this talk about fancy Old Fashoneds is killing me. It's my drink of choice but now I feel like I have been missing out not using "real" cherries and better bitters. Might have to be a self christmas present this year...

Too. Many. Cookies. Between Sunday and last evening, I've made about 300 of them between these 5 recipes to give away as gifts:

- oatmeal butterscotch

- chocolate chip cowboy cookies (choc chips, oats, and pretzels)

- gingerbread trees

- lace cookies dipped in chocolate

- peppermint meringues

Naturally, I had to sample them all for quality control. On top of that, a friend sent sugar cookies with eggnog buttercream icing and salted caramel snickerdoodles. I can't stop eating them, but my poor tummy is wishing I'd eat more real food and less junk!

Too. Many. Cookies. Between Sunday and last evening, I've made about 300 of them between these 5 recipes to give away as gifts:

- oatmeal butterscotch

- chocolate chip cowboy cookies (choc chips, oats, and pretzels)

- gingerbread trees

- lace cookies dipped in chocolate

- peppermint meringues

Naturally, I had to sample them all for quality control. On top of that, a friend sent sugar cookies with eggnog buttercream icing and salted caramel snickerdoodles. I can't stop eating them, but my poor tummy is wishing I'd eat more real food and less junk!

I made Oatmeal Scotchies over the weekend too, they're my wife's favorite so I earned myself some points. I was hoping to make more this year with the new mixer I got as an early gift, but life is getting in the way. I'm still hoping to make some shortbread and if I get time, more mexican/italian wedding cakes.

I kinda want a Cuban sandwich

That's offensive, mostly because I now want one too. It'll have to wait though, I have a ton of carnitas that I made awhile back defrosting in the fridge which I have to eat up before I go to Buffalo.

Edited by MattPie

The sauce looks awesome.

The rest of it, well, it's just too much.

You're probably right. I had something similar at a local Brazillian Steak-house / beer bar combo place:

GORETT'S ORIGINAL SIN

Brioche bread, beef, chorizo, ham, Gouda, in beer gravy topped with egg

I was good but too much to eat at once. I took half home.

Fudge Stripes are a very underrated cookie. I'm pretty sure if you made a cookie this good at home, you'd be hailed as a baking hero. No offense, bio. I'm sure your cookies are awesome.

None taken! If I'd made something like that, I'd probably be bragging about it. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I just came back from brunch at Joe's Deli on Elwood Ave and I have to say what a pleasant surprise it was having never been there before. The Wife and I are tired of all the usual breakfast places and decided to try somewhere new. It was fantastic. I had the "Stuffed Pork" which was bacon wrapped stuffed pork smothered in caramelized apples in a ginger soy glaze served with two poached eggs. I had never tried anything like this before and I am glad I did. The ginger soy apples where such an unusual taste that really enhanced the stuffed pork and poached eggs. I started trying different combinations of the components. I was changing combinations like Scotty Bowman changing lines. Before I knew it the plate was empty. The Wife had the farmers cheese and potato Pierogies with rye toast and a side of bacon. Definitely some of the best Pierogies I have had in a long time. Overall, it was a great experience and reasonably priced. A departure form the same old omelettes and home fires you find at most places. Looking forward to going back and trying the Chicken & Waffles or the Huevos Rancheros. The Waitress was very friendly and genuinely seemed happy to be there. I can't county how many times we've gone out to eat and ended with a server that made it seem we were inconveniencing them by just being there. I highly recommend to anyone looking for something really good and a little different.

Edited by DeLuca1967

I just came back from brunch at Joe's Deli on Elwood Ave and I have to say what a pleasant surprise it was having never been there before. The Wife and I are tired of all the usual breakfast places and decided to try somewhere new. It was fantastic. I had the "Stuffed Pork" which was bacon wrapped stuffed pork smothered in caramelized apples in a ginger soy glaze served with two poached eggs. I had never tried anything like this before and I am glad I did. The ginger soy apples where such an usual taste that really enhanced the stuffed pork and poached eggs. I started trying different combinations of the components. I was changing combinations like Scotty Bowman changing lines. Before I knew it the plate was empty. The Wife had the farmers cheese and potato Pierogies with rye toast and a side of bacon. Definitely some of the best Pierogies I have had in a long time. Overall, it was a great experience and reasonably priced. A departure form the same old omelettes and home fires you find at most places. Looking forward to going back and trying the Chicken & Waffles or the Huevos Rancheros. The Waitress was very friendly and genuinely seemed happy to be there. I can't county how many times we've gone out to eat and ended with a server that made it seem we were inconveniencing them by just being there. I highly recommend to anyone looking for something really good and a little different.

That place is great. There's one on Hertel, too.

It's a bloody mary day. I will be napping later. These are going down too fast.

Three Olives vodka that I infused with habanero and Thai chili peppers, Regular V8, a couple dashes of worchestershire, a pinch of celery salt, a couple dashes of Tabasco habanero sauce, and topped off with one of these, Benny's chipotle meat straw.

BSC00558-X_300w_300h_sb.jpg

Wow, weave... that's a serious drink you've got there!

Was going to post this last night but SS was down for the count:

http://www.skinnytas...ilada-bake.html

Joke all you want about quinoa and hippie food, but this sh!t is tasty.

Quinoa is delicious. That looks like a tasty recipe.

The drink isn't as fiery as it sounds. It's got heat, but its really enjoyable. Then again, I've got pretty good heat tolerance.

When I infused the vodka, I wasn't going for monster heat. I wanted the chili flavors more than the burn. I seeded the chilis and only left them in the vodka for 4-5 days. It has an incredible green pepper aroma, and you get as much of the fruity flavor of a hab as you do the heat. Not overpowering at all unless you really don't do heat.

Quinoa is delicious. That looks like a tasty recipe.

The drink isn't as fiery as it sounds. It's got heat, but its really enjoyable. Then again, I've got pretty good heat tolerance.

When I infused the vodka, I wasn't going for monster heat. I wanted the chili flavors more than the burn. I seeded the chilis and only left them in the vodka for 4-5 days. It has an incredible green pepper aroma, and you get as much of the fruity flavor of a hab as you do the heat. Not overpowering at all unless you really don't do heat.

I'm surprised that it's not that hot because Tabasco habanero is no joke.

That's a great idea with the vodka. I've got some peppers I'm going to try that with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.