What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I've been scouring the local Food Lion deep discounts lately. Last week it was four packs of lamb chops for $2.50 per. Today its flank steaks at $3 per four pack. I've had them in a soy/Worcestershire/Dijon mustard/balsamic marinade all day. I'm about to fire up the big green egg with some grilled veggies and pineapple. Accompanied by hop forward Irish red that I brewed. Good stuff.

OMG smoked sirloin is food of the gods.

I smoked the beef at 275F until it hit an internal temp of 125F, then finished it over the fire until the outside got nice and crusty. End result was a solid medium-rare, but with a gorgeous crust. Intense beefy flavor, good smoke flavor. The rub was equal parts kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. The crust was crunchy, salty, beefy, and spicy. Served with a little barbeque sauce on the side to dredge with and it was heaven on a plate.

Pork is still on the smoker but should be finished shortly. I like to cook it until 190F. She's holding around 180 right now. Evening snack of pulled pork might just put me over the edge.

OMG smoked sirloin is food of the gods.

I smoked the beef at 275F until it hit an internal temp of 125F, then finished it over the fire until the outside got nice and crusty. End result was a solid medium-rare, but with a gorgeous crust. Intense beefy flavor, good smoke flavor. The rub was equal parts kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. The crust was crunchy, salty, beefy, and spicy. Served with a little barbeque sauce on the side to dredge with and it was heaven on a plate.

Pork is still on the smoker but should be finished shortly. I like to cook it until 190F. She's holding around 180 right now. Evening snack of pulled pork might just put me over the edge.

I hate you.

I hate you.

Dude, no need for barbeque shadenfreude. jealousies and inferiority complex need not rule the day in the eating/drinking thread. We should as a group be better than this. It's drags the board as a whole down to a level which is extremely unflattering.

Dude, no need for barbeque shadenfreude. jealousies and inferiority complex need not rule the day in the eating/drinking thread. We should as a group be better than this. It's drags the board as a whole down to a level which is extremely unflattering.

:lol:

Well after reading about weave's sirloin mine doesn't compare, but I finally attempted to grill steak after a long time tonight, and very happy with the result. I'm not good at all with grilling, but a recent email newsletter with instructions and a long unused charcoal chimney inspired me to try again. I still overcooked them (closer to med-well than med-rare), but the flavor! Salt really does make a world of difference. Used a rub of kosher salt, garlic, rosemary, and thyme for about 8 hrs today before cooking. Will have to try again for less time.

Sounds good bio. You'll never have a problem over or under cooking anything with a thermapen instant read thermometer. Pricey, but indispensable.

Will have to look into that... I'm always paranoid about undercooking chicken and making myself sick, so I have to remind myself that it's pretty hard to undercook steak and stop way sooner than I think I should. I may have taken the article's advise about salting too seriously... it's good, but my blood pressure is probably double right now, haha.

Will have to look into that... I'm always paranoid about undercooking chicken and making myself sick, so I have to remind myself that it's pretty hard to undercook steak and stop way sooner than I think I should. I may have taken the article's advise about salting too seriously... it's good, but my blood pressure is probably double right now, haha.

Most folks undersalt these days. Salt does so much for flavor.

I like to use a rub of salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary on beef. It's a simple but very flavorful and complimentary combination.

Edited by weave

Most folks undersalt these days. Salt does so much for flavor.

I like to use a rub of salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary on beef. It's a simple but very flavorful and complimentary combination.

I never appreciated how much flavor salt contributes until the first time I made alfredo years back. It was so blah and underwhelming before adding salt! And I think I'm the only person in the world who hates pepper, lol... even just the smell of it makes me want to sneeze, and peppercorns are the worst! My dad used to always set aside one burger that only got salt for me, haha.

I never appreciated how much flavor salt contributes until the first time I made alfredo years back. It was so blah and underwhelming before adding salt! And I think I'm the only person in the world who hates pepper, lol... even just the smell of it makes me want to sneeze, and peppercorns are the worst! My dad used to always set aside one burger that only got salt for me, haha.

Lots of black pepper for me. IMO you cannot over apply pepper to a roast before cooking.

Had beef kabobs tonight. Marinated the meat in black bean paste and Worcestershire sauce, then filled the skewers with red onions, orange and yellow peppers and small potatoes slathered in garlic infused grapeseed oil.

Water to drink...:blush:

Thermapens are great,have had one for several years. An accurate grill thermometer essential as well for low/cooks..ones that come with your unit most likely suck.

BTW, don't worry about the amount of slat you use on foods you prepare. Only worry is eating prepared foods...soup from the can 600 milligrams , soup you make at home and think you nurse a ton of salt, prolly 150.

Ok, I just had Dinosaur Barbecue for the first time, and damn, I can see what all the fuss is about. I had a sampler:

--The pulled pork, meh. Actually, it wasn't very good.

--I don't love ribs, but I could eat those for the rest of my life if it wouldn't turn me into a complete ham planet.

--That is the best brisket I ever have had. That includes barbecue from Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Virginia. This was hands-down the best. Oh, I've got to find a way to stay out of Dino.

Washed it down with a really good, ice cold birch beer, too. (Would've preferred the real stuff, but I'm working today.)

Fat Bob's is going to have to up its game or get out of town.

Dinosaur brisket is damned good. The rest is pedestrian IMO. I aspire to make brisket as good as theirs.

Late lunch today was 15 yr old Yancy Fancy cheddar and some home made Polish sausage smoked in the back yard. Chased with a mojito. Or three. T'was glorious on a gorgeous Holiday afternoon on the deck.

Dinner is grilled pork loin chops marinated in soy, brown sugar, birds eye chilis, ginger, rice vinegar, and orange juice. Potato salad with a cajun dressing, and a simple green salad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.