What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Airline chicken in béchamel sauce over smoked bacon risotto au gratin with some asparagus.

The béchamel was overkill. It made the dish too rich.

Also, I like how Safari now adds fancy accents aigu to my posts.

What is airline chicken? For some reason I can only picture the tiny frozen "chx" chunks you get in coach on a transatlantic Delta flight.

Neighborhood picnic / party today. Everyone pulls out their grills into our cul de sac. I'm making beef on weck and using my rotisserie to cook a few roasts. I'm also showing my neighbor how to turn his weber kettle grill into a smoker to cook some pork shoulders. Google "snake smoke method". Pretty cool.

Neighborhood picnic / party today. Everyone pulls out their grills into our cul de sac. I'm making beef on weck and using my rotisserie to cook a few roasts. I'm also showing my neighbor how to turn his weber kettle grill into a smoker to cook some pork shoulders. Google "snake smoke method". Pretty cool.

The Snake is the way to go on a kettle.

What is airline chicken? For some reason I can only picture the tiny frozen "chx" chunks you get in coach on a transatlantic Delta flight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_chicken

The top hit was in Australian. I don't think I understood a word he said.

Had home made burgers last night. 80/20 ground chuck mixed with bbq sauce, A1, Worcestershire, a bit of Frank's red hot and Montreal steak. Delicious a per usual, but the leftover burger for lunch today that I topped off with a sunny side up egg, that was fantastic!

Oh, this is both a confession and a scathing review.

Rarely do I eat fast food. Today, however, I hadn't eaten since just before noon. And just now, I ingested something that I think I need to warn you all about.

So Wendy's, one of the few fast food joints that I would think about, has been touting this bacon burger on a pretzel roll. I'm a BIG fan of pretzel rolls (if I'm going to have empty carbs, let's at let have them taste good!) so I bite. That and a small fry. The beverage--ice water--is at home.

The burger is not topped, not coated or slathered, but downright drenched in this disgusting sweet sauce. I have no idea what I just ate, other than to say that it tasted horribly sweet. (The pretzel roll was predictably awesome.) And I have no idea of when my last trip to Wendy's (a couple of years?), but at what point did they try skin-on fries? That works at your local. It sure as hell doesn't work there. There exists no condiment that would make them taste good. And enough salt, too.

So ends my review of the Wendy's at Main and North, It will be another two years, I'm sure.

Edited by Eleven

At Resurgence Brewing on Niagara street. Session IPA pretty good. The wife enjoys the loganberry wit and sponge candy stout.

Its actually pretty good. Adds some toffe and caramel notes. The loganberry wit on the other hand I'm not a fan of.

I too tried Resurgence Brewery a few weeks back and had the sponge candy stout. The fiance had the loganberry wit. As a guy who does not generally like dark stouts, the finish of caramel/chocolate on it was very nice and made it highly drinkable on a hot summer day. The loganberry wit ellicited a 'meh' reaction and I ended up finishing her beer too.

Really cool place in terms of atmosphere though. Defintiely planning another trip.

No one wants to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli.

Like chef boy ar dee? :sick:

Related story - excited about leftover cheese raviolis for lunch.

Nine new downtown restaurants should be open around the time the season starts, not including the two at Harborcenter: http://www.bizjourna...n.html?page=all

And the Empire Grill is re-opening as well. I know the new owner. I've worked with him on several fundraisers in my town. Very charitable fellow.

Edited by weave

And the Empire Grill is re-opening as well. I know the new owner. I've worked with him on several fundraisers in my town. Very charitable fellow.

Yes it is--but the ones in the article are all near the F'N Center.

I do plan on getting to Empire as soon as it's done, though. Very much looking forward to it. What's his concept?

Nine new downtown restaurants should be open around the time the season starts, not including the two at Harborcenter: http://www.bizjourna...n.html?page=all

Coincidence that all these new restaurants are opening on or near Main street as soon as it looks respectable and has car traffic? The city has finally gotten out of its own way and is making some progress to having a decent downtown scene (that doesn't involve 18 year olds stumbling through chippewa night clubs).

Hopefully all of the nicer restaurants and asthetics will shift the homeless/undesirable population that currently spends most of thier time on Main St. during the day...

Yes it is--but the ones in the article are all near the F'N Center.

I do plan on getting to Empire as soon as it's done, though. Very much looking forward to it. What's his concept?

Entrees will feature burgers, specialty sandwiches, steak and seafood for lunch and dinner. He expects to open the two-story place some time in October. Work will continue on the outdoor dining patio and a new balcony which should be ready for next spring. The 10-year-old building is a relatively new structure, he said.

Salsa and chips. Homemade salsa made with tomatos, poblanos, jalapenos, onions, and garlic all roasted on the grill until everything is nice and carmelized, run through the food processor, with a good dose of fresh lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper and cilantro.

And the obligatory margarita.

Been a good weekend, food-wise. Friday night I made Thai lahp moo (essentially warm ground pork salad with lime, fish sauce, mint, shallots, and scallions), and Sat. morning I made a pretty kick-ass breakfast sandwich (not my creation) with pan-toasted sourdough, Gruyere cheese, fried egg, candied bacon, arugula, and lemon Greek yogurt sauce. Yum.

Been a good weekend, food-wise. Friday night I made Thai lahp moo (essentially warm ground pork salad with lime, fish sauce, mint, shallots, and scallions), and Sat. morning I made a pretty kick-ass breakfast sandwich (not my creation) with pan-toasted sourdough, Gruyere cheese, fried egg, candied bacon, arugula, and lemon Greek yogurt sauce. Yum.

You are required by all that is good and decent to provide a recipe for said lahp moo dish.

You are required by all that is good and decent to provide a recipe for said lahp moo dish.

Lol and here I thought the candied bacon is what would get everyone's attention. ;) Recipe is from Nancy McDermott's Quick & Easy Thai cookbook, attached (apologies for the low-res iPad photo). I typically use water rather than chicken stock because it's already quite salty and flavorful. The toasted rice powder is good, but in my opinion not worth the extra work. Messy, but very good with Boston Bibb lettuce as wraps, or eaten with sticky rice. I ate the leftovers tonight with shredded lettuce pieces that were too small for wraps as a salad of sorts.

post-1683-0-58926600-1407713843_thumb.jpg

post-1683-0-50565200-1407713852_thumb.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.