What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

But how did it taste, man? Describe its essence to me.

OK, that was a bit weird for me. But seriously, I wanna know more.

It was firm, fleshy, a bit like shark but not so "steak-like." Not very fishy, but certainly not to be mistaken for a land protein.

Edited by Eleven

Mmmmm..... homemade chicken and rice soup. Stock made from the carcass of chickens I smoked over the summer.

Smokey, spicy, comforting, and delicious.

Not rabbit terrine and sturgeon delicious, but it was on my own tab. :P

I know what I'm drinking tonight.

http://www.thestar.c...in_ontario.html

It's not bad. I'm kind of amazed that it wasn't allowed in Ontario, it's just beer. In any case, you could have just driven down to Buffalo and gotten some for awhile now. :)

EDIT: Also, I've *never* even heard of someone "binge drinking" Beligian beers.

“It’s against our philosophy,” says Delaet. Another criticism that has been leveled at Delirium Tremens over the years is that it encourages binge drinking, at least partly because of its hefty alcohol content (8.5 per cent).

By that logic, I guess all that light-beer binge drinking I've seen over the years is clearly a figment of my imagination from drinking strong beer. ;)

Edited by MattPie

It's not bad. I'm kind of amazed that it wasn't allowed in Ontario, it's just beer. In any case, you could have just driven down to Buffalo and gotten some for awhile now. :)

EDIT: Also, I've *never* even heard of someone "binge drinking" Beligian beers.

By that logic, I guess all that light-beer binge drinking I've seen over the years is clearly a figment of my imagination from drinking strong beer. ;)

When I moved to NC over a decade ago you could not find any beer over 6% abv. It was illegal to sell in NC. I remember taking a few weekend road trips up to Virginia to stock up on some IPA's and Belgians, or I'd just brew my own high gravity beers Thankfully a group called "Pop The Cap" was able to lobby the legislature to increase the limit to 15% ( so still no 120 minute IPA or Utopia on the shelves here in NC). During the lobbying effort, you had religious groups who opposed to change saying that all these high alcohol beers would encourage "binge drinking". Yeah, college kids with barely two nickels to scrape together are going to seek out that $6 bottle of Chimay over the $4 six pack of Busch light.

When the law passed, one of the few microbreweries that existed in the area at the time, Carolina Brewing Company, brewed a 10% barleywine called "Old 392" after house bill #392 that increased the abv limit to 15%.

Is it good Matt? Haven't had a chance to pick up a case but plan to for the weekend. I guess I could have driven the 2.5 hours across the boarder for it. But then if I want to buy anything to bring back I have to stay there for atleast 48 hours. This makes it much more convenient to try. Although I'm sure it will probably be priced about double what it is down there....

Is it good Matt? Haven't had a chance to pick up a case but plan to for the weekend. I guess I could have driven the 2.5 hours across the boarder for it. But then if I want to buy anything to bring back I have to stay there for atleast 48 hours. This makes it much more convenient to try. Although I'm sure it will probably be priced about double what it is down there....

FWIW, I have a friend who is a huge fan of craft beers, and DT is his favorite.

FWIW, I have a friend who is a huge fan of craft beers, and DT is his favorite.

I haven't had it in awhile, but I remember it being good. At the time I wasn't too into Belgian Goldens (it still not something I drink a ton of) so I think my ruling was good, but not up to the hype (the hype was *huge* at the time). Now I'm curious, I'll have to make an exception to my long-standing "drink local" stance and pick up a bottle.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Edit - Just saw it's $3.95 per bottle or $89.95 per 24. Guess I'll have to just try a bottle first. Let me know how much it is down your way.

If that's for 23-oz (750 ml in your Canadian numbers), that's super cheap for the bottle. It's still cheap for 12s. I don't know if that link will work, but it looks like a 23oz will run $12.50 here. It'd have to be *really* good to be nearly twice as good as Ommegang stuff at $8.50 for 23oz.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=769239

If that's for 23-oz (750 ml in your Canadian numbers), that's super cheap for the bottle. It's still cheap for 12s. I don't know if that link will work, but it looks like a 23oz will run $12.50 here. It'd have to be *really* good to be nearly twice as good as Ommegang stuff at $8.50 for 23oz.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=769239

No that price is for a 355ml bottle so less than half the size of yours. Very surprised how it is more expensive or atleast comparable there.

• 1 month later...

Let's talk comfort food.

I made one of my go to's today. Large pieces of cut up carrots, onions, and celery go into the bottom of a braising dish. Add to the top about 1.5lbs of chuck roast cut into large bite sized pieces. 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and pour in about 16oz of brown ale. You could substitute porter or some other not real hoppy darkish beer. Cover the dish and into a 300 degree oven. Forget about it for a couple hours.

When the meat is tender, get some egg noodles in boiling water. Drain the liquid from the braising dish. Saute a bunch of sliced mushrooms in a couple Tbls of butter until the mushrooms begin to caramelize. Add 2 more Tbls of butter and 2 Tbls of flour. Stir to mix the flour into the butter without clumps and get all of the mushrooms coated. Continue to cook and stir for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Pour in the braising liquid and turn the heat up to bring it to a boil. Stir to get the flour evenly distributed in the liquid. Once it starts to boil bring the heat back down to just keep it simmering. Add a few dashes of Worchestershire sauce. It should be nice and thick. If it needs to be thicker let it simmer awhile longer and it will thicken. Add a few Tbls of sour cream and stir to mix it in. Add the meat and veggies back into the sauce and serve it over the egg noodles.

You could easily do the beef, veggies, and beer in a crock pot all day while you are at work and make the mushroom gravy when you get home for a quick weekday meal.

Edited by weave

Let's talk comfort food.

I made one of my go to's today. Large pieces of cut up carrots, onions, and celery go into the bottom of a braising dish. Add to the top about 1.5lbs of chuck roast cut into large bite sized pieces. 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and pour in about 16oz of brown ale. You could substitute porter or some other not real hoppy darkish beer. Cover the dish and into a 300 degree oven. Forget about it for a couple hours.

When the meat is tender, get some egg noodles in boiling water. Drain the liquid from the braising dish. Saute a bunch of sliced mushrooms in a couple Tbls of butter until the mushrooms begin to caramelize. Add 2 more Tbls of butter and 2 Tbls of flour. Stir to mix the flour into the butter without clumps and get all of the mushrooms coated. Continue to cook and stir for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Pour in the braising liquid and turn the heat up to bring it to a boil. Stir to get the flour evenly distributed in the liquid. Once it starts to boil bring the heat back down to just keep it simmering. Add a few dashes of Worchestershire sauce. It should be nice and thick. If it needs to be thicker let it simmer awhile longer and it will thicken. Add a few Tbls of sour cream and stir to mix it in. Add the meat and veggies back into the sauce and serve it over the egg noodles.

You could easily do the beef, veggies, and beer in a crock pot all day while you are at work and make the mushroom gravy when you get home for a quick weekday meal.

:yawn:

:worthy:

It was a fake bore. Who would be bored by that?

My wife and I love to cook. We don't make boring meals very often, True story, last week my son asked what's for dinner and, when he didn't like the answer he said, "you know, some times a kid just wants a hamburger. That's why I like to eat at <girlfreinds> house." His girlfriend replied with,"It seems like all I get is pizza and burgers. I'd rather eat here". Fun stuff.

Finally got more of those delectable Amarena cherries in the mail today, so having a proper Bulleit Rye Old Fashioned. Yum.

Amarena cherries? Had to look that one up.

My wife and I love to cook. We don't make boring meals very often, True story, last week my son asked what's for dinner and, when he didn't like the answer he said, "you know, some times a kid just wants a hamburger. That's why I like to eat at <girlfreinds> house." His girlfriend replied with,"It seems like all I get is pizza and burgers. I'd rather eat here". Fun stuff.

Amarena cherries? Had to look that one up.

Ha! I worked briefly with a Kurdish girl, and she always wanted my boring lunches (spaghetti, etc) while I coveted her homemade biryani. And I'd never heard of those cherries until last year when a bartender in Philly introduced us to them. There's no going back to maraschino. These are what she had (and I've since ordered):

http://www.amazon.com/Fabbri-Amarena-Cherries-Syrup-Decorated/dp/B000YPG7RQ

Ha! I worked briefly with a Kurdish girl, and she always wanted my boring lunches (spaghetti, etc) while I coveted her homemade biryani. And I'd never heard of those cherries until last year when a bartender in Philly introduced us to them. There's no going back to maraschino. These are what she had (and I've since ordered):

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B000YPG7RQ

Ouch. $14/jar !

Kurdish food. There is something I'll have to look into.

And yeah, I don't even do spaghetti boring. Sometimes its an all day gravy, sometimes a fresh and simple tomato and basil sauce, it's almost never an open a jar meal for us.

Ouch. $14/jar !

Kurdish food. There is something I'll have to look into.

And yeah, I don't even do spaghetti boring. Sometimes its an all day gravy, sometimes a fresh and simple tomato and basil sauce, it's almost never an open a jar meal for us.

Yeah, they're a *little* pricey. I only use 2-3 cherries per drink (and the syrup is still usable when the cherries are gone), but if I drank more frequently they'd be cost-prohibitive.

If you have a go-to pasta sauce recipe, I'm all ears! I often do jar sauce out of laziness/convenience, but homemade sauce is pretty awesome. I could probably just use the one from my mom's lasagna recipe, but I kind of prefer a thinner sauce (easier to coat all the noodles).

I couldn't tell you what all was in her biryani, but it reminded me of rice pilaf a little... pretty sure there was saffron or something because it had a light yellow color, and I know it also has slivered almonds. Good stuff!

Yeah, they're a *little* pricey. I only use 2-3 cherries per drink (and the syrup is still usable when the cherries are gone), but if I drank more frequently they'd be cost-prohibitive.

If you have a go-to pasta sauce recipe, I'm all ears! I often do jar sauce out of laziness/convenience, but homemade sauce is pretty awesome. I could probably just use the one from my mom's lasagna recipe, but I kind of prefer a thinner sauce (easier to coat all the noodles).

I couldn't tell you what all was in her biryani, but it reminded me of rice pilaf a little... pretty sure there was saffron or something because it had a light yellow color, and I know it also has slivered almonds. Good stuff!

Something awesome and quick is to chop up a little pancetta, Fry it to get it a little crispy on the edges, saute a couple cloves of chopped garlic, deglaze the pan with a couple oz. of dry white wine, dump in a can of good crushed tomatoes, simmer it to let it come together for maybe 5 minutes, and add in some chopped fresh basil, maybe half a handful. Super simple, really fresh, bright, and each ingredient gets a chance to shine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.