What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Speaking of spice, I had the smallest imaginable sample of a hot sauce made with ghost pepper extract on saturday. It was a tiny drop of the sauce, maybe the size of a small ant. I had watched a bunch of people sign a waiver to try it not knowing anything about ghost peppers and smartly I wanted no part of it. I was joking with the guy at the store off to the side as the people soaked an entire tortilla chip in it not realizing the hell they were putting themselves into. After everyone left he gave me a drop of the sauce about the size of a tiny ant.

Why do they even make a sauce like that? Even the tiny drop spread the heat across half of my tongue. I really think you could make a strong case for abuse against the woman who let her 10 year old boy try it.

Absolutely, there is no need for that. Ghost peppers and/or sauces are not to be taken lightly.

I have a Dave's Insanity Ghost pepper sauce at home. I tried it once when I was conducting a hot sauce challenge contest. I will never consume it again in any form, but I keep it around just in case someone is stupid enough to ask for some.

I'm a hot sauce and hot pepper guy. Hell, I grow them in my garden and make sauces and relishes out of the harvest. But pain for the sake of pain? Nah. No thanks. Ghost pepper extract is heat for the sake of heat. When you are talking extracts you are talking no flavor, mucho heat. I don't get the point.

Those extracts are why you will, from time to time, hear of some poor sap who died as a result of his (it is always a guy) participation in some ill-conceived suicidal wing eating competition.

Which is why I couldn't believe the store would let a kid try it. I walked in right after he tried it, so at first I assumed he just tried one of the other random sauces that was strong. They had a few that were way up there on the scoville (sp?) chart but also had some great flavor, but obviously the ghost pepper one wasn't one of them.

My wife was egging me on a bit to try it, but I wanted no part of it. I tried to describe to her afterwards what that tiny drop was like, pure heat that took over half my tongue. It also happened to be the last day of our honeymoon and she had no idea that she was trying to get me to try a hot sauce that would have effectively ended that honeymoon.

You're not kidding shrader about the potential for those sauces to put a damper on future plans. The morning after that hot sauce challenge I was talking about my friends and I had scheduled a golf outing. Everyone got to the course in apparent fine shape, then one by one guys started leaving the practice range for clubhouse crapper. Luckily we were able to move our tee times back a bit, but everyone had some GI issues that day.

You're not kidding shrader about the potential for those sauces to put a damper on future plans. The morning after that hot sauce challenge I was talking about my friends and I had scheduled a golf outing. Everyone got to the course in apparent fine shape, then one by one guys started leaving the practice range for clubhouse crapper. Luckily we were able to move our tee times back a bit, but everyone had some GI issues that day.

The tiny drop lingered for a half an hour. I can't imagine what a normal amount of sauce would do. I'll still never understand any of those challenges with this stuff where you have to wear gloves. People will willingly ingest something that they can't even touch with their bare hands. Crazy.

The tiny drop lingered for a half an hour. I can't imagine what a normal amount of sauce would do. I'll still never understand any of those challenges with this stuff where you have to wear gloves. People will willingly ingest something that they can't even touch with their bare hands. Crazy.

Yeah we didn't go that far. I knew better than to include any of the extracts in our contest. It had to be an actual sauce, and the Ghost Pepper one was the hottest. There were only three of us left standing by the time we reached that level. The contest was done very scientifically, I borrowed a micropipette and disposable tips from work. 250 microliters of each sauce was dispensed onto a wheat thin cracker and everyone ate them simultaneously. We started with Franks and went progressively hotter by scoville units. If you drank any liquid or tapped out you were out of the contest. We had to go three rounds with the Ghost Pepper sauce before we had a "winner". I tapped out after one round of ghost pepper sauce. I can definitely see how people can die or be hospitalized from going overboard with these sauces or extracts, besides the painful heat, my vision was blurry, my heart rate was up, I was sweating profusely and I was just generally woozy. So letting a 10 year old have some when he clearly doesn't know what he's getting into is just crazy.

Had an interesting take on a manhattan tonight. Was more of a cross between a manhattan and old fashioned (Buffalo Trace bourbon, sweet vermouth, bitters, and muddled orange and cherry), but they also added root liquor, which was an interesting flavor mix. i liked it because it masked the vermouth, which I sometimes find overpowering.

• 1 month later...

So I had a Buffalo Bleu burger yesterday that was just awesome. Blue Chz crumbles mixed with hot wing sauce on a seasoned 1/4pnd burger with shredded lettuce, tomato, and a toasted bun. It was delicious.

Sounds good. Ever try the Blue Ribbon Burger at Red Robin? Very similar, subtract the buffalo and add in crispy onion straws.

Made my first batch of chicken corn chowder of the season last night. Loving the leftovers!

• 2 weeks later...

In the midst of making pumpkin whoopie pies with cream cheese frosting from scratch and a batch of choco chip cookies because d4rk would give me the sad face otherwise. I've missed baking. Had an excuse to do some tonight for an open house the horse rescue I volunteer at is having tomorrow. A glass of Rohrbach's Oktoberfest lager and the apt smells good... even if the sabres lost again.

• 3 weeks later...

Heated up a little Leberkäse and put it on some Monk's Genesee Rye bread with some German style mustard. Washing it down with a 12 Horse. Delicious.

If you like German sausages and deli meats, there's a guy in Avon who makes great stuff. And if he doesn't have it you can request it.

http://www.steelesausage.com

Heated up a little Leberkäse and put it on some Monk's Genesee Rye bread with some German style mustard. Washing it down with a 12 Horse. Delicious.

If you like German sausages and deli meats, there's a guy in Avon who makes great stuff. And if he doesn't have it you can request it.

Holy cow. Never knew that was there. I worked in Honeoye Falls for 12 years, commuted through Avon every day. Never even heard about this place.

Best name ever.

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.