What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Feels kinda dirty, doesn't it? But it is a great town to have beers and eat. Shame they can't make wings or pizza to save their lives though.

I saw a few places with wings and the pizza place at the Reading Terminal Market but knew they were likely to be underwhelming. As promised a report on the places I visited:

McGillans, Philly's oldest tavern (circa 1860's). Their 1860 IPA, brewed by Stoudt's, was quite good and supposedly a historical recipe representative of IPA's of the 19th century.

Nodding Head brewpub: I really enjoyed their brown ale, but the IPA they brewed for the NHC conference was sub par. Weird hop combo used (Mix of German, New Zealand and American hops that resulted in a funky aroma). Most of the homebrewers I spoke with at the conference agreed that their beers were very hit and miss. Loved the dig at Crosby with the "Tears" beer series.

Triumph brewpub. I had lunch with the family there while doing some historical sightseeing. I had their German alt with lamb sliders. Both were excellent.

I and my fellow conference goers cannot remember the bar where we had the Flower Power IPA. It was wednesday night after the Brewing Network anniversary party and a local recommended we go there since Monk's was likely to be mobbed. We were all fairly well liquored up to the point that my friends both didn't remember the next day eating jumbalaya there. Ended up at Delilah's after this and drank a $12 Sierra Nevada PA while there...... I don't know why I ever get talked into going to these places in other cities. The talent was good, but Canadian ballet rules do not apply, so therefore a fail. My friends were skeptical of my old tales from the ballet, so I had to get the guys from the Niagara Association of Homebrewers to explain to them the stark differences between Canadian ballet and a standard US men's club.

So on Saturday night I did a mini pub crawl with my wife...

First stop was Monk's hoping they would still have some Pliny left..... and they did! The place was mobbed as expected so we only stayed for one. I wish I had stayed since I heard the Pliny was kicked soon after I left and they tapped a keg of Blind Pig.

We then walked a block to Jose Pistola's (wife's choice) and I was shocked at their awesome tap list. Had Deschutes white IPA and a locally brewed kolsch (Lancaster maybe?) that was quite good. My wife got to enjoy some foofy margaritas. Also had ceviche and some damn good salsa. Would definitely go back here.

The bartender at Pistola's recommended we hit Varga bar on our way to the Grimm Philly walking tour. This was a great corner bar in a residential part of old city. I ended up speaking with a local craft beer salesman the whole time who offered some great info on the local craft beer scene. My wife had the Ithaca Apricot wheat and I had Yard Pale ale. Quite good.

After our walking tour we hit Eulogy for beer steamed mussels. My wife had a Hoegaarden and I ended the night with Rodenbach Grand Cru, a Flanders Red. It seems that sour beers are now the craze in the homebrew and craft beer world these days. Nearly every table at the club night had one to offer.

You are correct, Philly is a great beer and food town. I'd love to go back next year for Philly beer week, but unfortunately that is the week before NHC 2014 in Grand Rapids. Maybe I'll try to make it for a Sabres game this season instead and drown the suffering in all the great beer Philly has to offer.

Guest Sloth

I miss the food and drink up north. Stuff in the south just isn't as good... I don't care what they try to claim. Especially grits and cornbread. Yuck!

Edited by thanes16

Happy Birthday to you, my friend.

Thanks!

Love me some Philly-style tomato pie.

Yeah, that stuff is pretty good. They have it at the Wegman's here, always tempted when I see it.

I and my fellow conference goers cannot remember the bar where we had the Flower Power IPA. It was wednesday night after the Brewing Network anniversary party and a local recommended we go there since Monk's was likely to be mobbed. We were all fairly well liquored up to the point that my friends both didn't remember the next day eating jumbalaya there. Ended up at Delilah's after this and drank a $12 Sierra Nevada PA while there...... I don't know why I ever get talked into going to these places in other cities. The talent was good, but Canadian ballet rules do not apply, so therefore a fail. My friends were skeptical of my old tales from the ballet, so I had to get the guys from the Niagara Association of Homebrewers to explain to them the stark differences between Canadian ballet and a standard US men's club.

We then walked a block to Jose Pistola's (wife's choice) and I was shocked at their awesome tap list. Had Deschutes white IPA and a locally brewed kolsch (Lancaster maybe?) that was quite good. My wife got to enjoy some foofy margaritas. Also had ceviche and some damn good salsa. Would definitely go back here.

The bartender at Pistola's recommended we hit Varga bar on our way to the Grimm Philly walking tour. This was a great corner bar in a residential part of old city. I ended up speaking with a local craft beer salesman the whole time who offered some great info on the local craft beer scene. My wife had the Ithaca Apricot wheat and I had Yard Pale ale. Quite good.

After our walking tour we hit Eulogy for beer steamed mussels. My wife had a Hoegaarden and I ended the night with Rodenbach Grand Cru, a Flanders Red. It seems that sour beers are now the craze in the homebrew and craft beer world these days. Nearly every table at the club night had one to offer.

You are correct, Philly is a great beer and food town. I'd love to go back next year for Philly beer week, but unfortunately that is the week before NHC 2014 in Grand Rapids. Maybe I'll try to make it for a Sabres game this season instead and drown the suffering in all the great beer Philly has to offer.

Thanks for the Dechutes tip, my wife used to live that way and Black Butte Porter was her go-to. Seems Deschutes is setting up distribution on the East Coast so you'll start seeing more of it around.

A pretty good list of places, I've been to most of them. Damn, now I want to go out tonight.

Love me some Philly-style tomato pie.

Ugh! Absolute sh!t! Utica/Rome tomato pie ONLY! Pennsylvania has the worst Italian food I've ever tasted. What do a bunch of Polskis and Mennonites know about cooking Italian food? Not to mention the huge inferiority complex that they have with the state of NY. Round pizza? A full tray? A cut? It's New York style pizza, a large pie and you serve it by the slice!!!

/rant off.

Had a lovely burrito for lunch today made out of what can best be described as Mexican mush. Pretty much threw everything Mexican in the house into a casserole dish the other day and I've been making odd concoctions with it ever since.

Chicken riggies for dinner!!

Mayo Clinic Diet. I've tried 'em all. Whole grains, lean meat, low-fat, and veggies/fruit galore. Measure servings, read the label, cheat when you need to. I've lost 19 pounds in 35 days, I'm stuffed constantly, and I feel great.

Ugh! Absolute sh!t! Utica/Rome tomato pie ONLY! Pennsylvania has the worst Italian food I've ever tasted. What do a bunch of Polskis and Mennonites know about cooking Italian food? Not to mention the huge inferiority complex that they have with the state of NY. Round pizza? A full tray? A cut? It's New York style pizza, a large pie and you serve it by the slice!!!

NYC (to differentiate from WNY) pizza is lame, not nearly enough structure and crust. Most Philly pizza I've had is a poor imitation of NY pizza, but the Sicilian style (thicker crust and usually square) is the better of the two options.

Mayo Clinic Diet. I've tried 'em all. Whole grains, lean meat, low-fat, and veggies/fruit galore. Measure servings, read the label, cheat when you need to. I've lost 19 pounds in 35 days, I'm stuffed constantly, and I feel great.

Measuing the servings is the key there. As long as you're honest with yourself and have soime restraint it's not *that* hard to lose weight. Speaking for myself, at least. Once I got serious about paying attention to what I ate, I lost a similar amount of weight as you mention, eventually totalling 70 lbs in 10 months.

Saw something on t.v. last nite( food network )that has me intrigued. Guy made waffles but he mixed turkey stuffing with the waffle batter and poured it onto iron then cooked the waffle. He then covered said waffle with mashed taters, cranberry sauce, leftover turkey, and gravy. Topped off with maple syrup. I can taste it now. Can't wait to try this the next time I make a turkey.

Saw something on t.v. last nite( food network )that has me intrigued. Guy made waffles but he mixed turkey stuffing with the waffle batter and poured it onto iron then cooked the waffle. He then covered said waffle with mashed taters, cranberry sauce, leftover turkey, and gravy. Topped off with maple syrup. I can taste it now. Can't wait to try this the next time I make a turkey.

OMG I'm drooling just reading that.

We make a breakfast "hash" with thanksgiving leftovers every year. Chopped leftover turkey, substitute stuffing for diced potatoes, and cranberry. Mix it all up like a hash, pan fried till the edges get crispy. Serve with an over easy egg on top, slathered with gravy.

*wipes drool*

OMG I'm drooling just reading that.

We make a breakfast "hash" with thanksgiving leftovers every year. Chopped leftover turkey, substitute stuffing for diced potatoes, and cranberry. Mix it all up like a hash, pan fried till the edges get crispy. Serve with an over easy egg on top, slathered with gravy.

*wipes drool*

That sounds so damn delicious I'm putting it on the menu around here...

Measuing the servings is the key there. As long as you're honest with yourself and have soime restraint it's not *that* hard to lose weight. Speaking for myself, at least. Once I got serious about paying attention to what I ate, I lost a similar amount of weight as you mention, eventually totalling 70 lbs in 10 months.

What did Marv used to say? Winning habits are simple, but not easy. Something like that. It's really not hard and doesn't have to involve, uh, suffering. Every afternoon when I'm eating fruit instead of donuts, pastries and the like, I ask myself why anyone would prefer cake to chilled grapes or a good apple? Why did I use to? Why will I probably again? It's kind of mind boggling. Must be psychological. It's really not the taste. Congratulations on the weight loss!

Sounds reasonable. When I'm strictly following my diet, I'm also satisfied. You can eat pretty much all day long. And healthy foods tends to fill you up. I've struggled some days to get to 2,000 calories. When I stray, oddly enough, that's when I get ravenous.

Done it. Pregaming at your place with friends before going out to the bars? Forget the redbull. Make it a round of shots of straight maple syrup to wake everyone up.

Damn. That's another thing I miss about WNY. I don't think people realize how much maple syrup comes from there or how good it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.