What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

This should be pinned for tonight, no?

We aren't going anywhere and noone is coming here, so it is just the three of us and FOX.

Dinner in a bit is fish tacos made with halibut fillets, slaw, Sriracha, on corn tortillas. Game time munchies is a big molten bowl of chili-queso dip and tortilla chips. Only the best faux cheese, Hormel chili, and Ro-Tel.

Tomorrow I may need to reference one of those ads Dwight is alluding to.

• 2 weeks later...

Homemade Texas Hot Sauce over those really thin Chinese ramen-like noodles. This is day 3 for the sauce, and every time I heat it up, it gets better. It works better as the star, over pasta, than the bit part over a lousy hot dog.

Ramen and chili sauce, hmmm.......

I've got Italian herbed bread dough proofing on the counter right now. And venison pepper steak planned for dinner.

Just finished off the rest of the Chicken Riggies(who actually doesn't have to Google it). Gonna hit up Ruth's Chris tonight. I've got a craving for a rib eye and I will not be denied!

I had to google it. Umm, to each his own?

A good steak, though, I can't deny that. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Today was the first time I've ever been to a sushi bar. A sushi place opened recently in, of all places, Batavia. Place is called Yume Asian Bistro. I had to do quite a bit of work to talk my wife into lunch there. She's not usually willing to try new foods, and the mere idea of sushi turns her off.

Neat little place. A sushi bar to sit at or regular tables. Not terribly busy, but it was lunch, . Lots of variety on the menu. six asian soups to choose from, Sushi and sashimi of course, a number of Chinese and Thai dishes, teryaki, hibachi, satays, and bento boxes. Crowd pleasers like General Taos chicken and sesame chicken for the less adventurous.

I ordered a Thai Tom Kha soup and spicy yellow tail rolls. The soup was outstanding. Fresh bamboo shoots, shrimp, and green beans in a spicy coconut curry broth. The tuna rolls were tasty as well. The wife ordered a tempura bento box (it was closest to anything she recognized). She really enjoyed it. Sweet potato slices, broccoli, chicken, and sweet onion rings in tempura batter, sticky rice, and a couple vegetable rolls. It was a really good sized lunch.

Prices were decent. Our bill came to about $25. But you can spend upwards of $70 on their sushi bar entrees. Or you can get sushi or sashimi ala carte, buying one piece at a time. Next time we go I will probably go that route and try some sushi/sashimi I've never had. There is quite a variety on their menu. The staff was friendly and patient in explaining the dishes to my wife.

No liquor license yet so sake will have to wait for another time.

Today was the first time I've ever been to a sushi bar. A sushi place opened recently in, of all places, Batavia. Place is called Yume Asian Bistro. I had to do quite a bit of work to talk my wife into lunch there. She's not usually willing to try new foods, and the mere idea of sushi turns her off.

Neat little place. A sushi bar to sit at or regular tables. Not terribly busy, but it was lunch, . Lots of variety on the menu. six asian soups to choose from, Sushi and sashimi of course, a number of Chinese and Thai dishes, teryaki, hibachi, satays, and bento boxes. Crowd pleasers like General Taos chicken and sesame chicken for the less adventurous.

I ordered a Thai Tom Kha soup and spicy yellow tail rolls. The soup was outstanding. Fresh bamboo shoots, shrimp, and green beans in a spicy coconut curry broth. The tuna rolls were tasty as well. The wife ordered a tempura bento box (it was closest to anything she recognized). She really enjoyed it. Sweet potato slices, broccoli, chicken, and sweet onion rings in tempura batter, sticky rice, and a couple vegetable rolls. It was a really good sized lunch.

Prices were decent. Our bill came to about $25. But you can spend upwards of $70 on their sushi bar entrees. Or you can get sushi or sashimi ala carte, buying one piece at a time. Next time we go I will probably go that route and try some sushi/sashimi I've never had. There is quite a variety on their menu. The staff was friendly and patient in explaining the dishes to my wife.

No liquor license yet so sake will have to wait for another time.

Did she try any sushi?

And sometimes places without liquor licenses will let you BYO; you may want to try that.

Did she try any sushi?

And sometimes places without liquor licenses will let you BYO; you may want to try that.

She did not have any sushi. Small steps. I'll have to inquire about BYO. They are applying for their liquor license right now.

She did not have any sushi. Small steps. I'll have to inquire about BYO. They are applying for their liquor license right now.

California roll is a good start; it's not raw. Same with an eel piece or egg-custard piece. Also cooked. If there's a smoked salmon option (I know your household is no stranger to smoked foods), that might be a good start, too.

Edited by Eleven

California roll is a good start; it's not raw. Same with an eel piece or egg-custard piece. Also cooked. If there's a smoked salmon option (I know your household is no stranger to smoked foods), that might be a good start, too.

She doesn't care for California rolls, and won't touch anything that has seaweed as an ingredient in general. Turned her nose up at the Miso soup as soon as our server told her it had tofu and seaweed in it.

Small steps. She had a vegetable roll in her bento box. Hell, she oredered a bento box when she hadn't had one previously. We'll get there.

She doesn't care for California rolls, and won't touch anything that has seaweed as an ingredient in general. Turned her nose up at the Miso soup as soon as our server told her it had tofu and seaweed in it.

Small steps. She had a vegetable roll in her bento box. Hell, she oredered a bento box when she hadn't had one previously. We'll get there.

Helpful hint: Do NOT bring her to a Buffalo sushi restaurant around me!

She's OK with others eating sashimi, but she won't touch the stuff.

She won't try calamari either. Never stopped me from ordering it at a restaurant. Hell, next time we go to the sushi joint I'm ordering the octopus just to watch her reaction.

I find this lack of sushi experience from Weave, shocking.

If there is anything deserving of a food and booze thread.....

I always finish with 3 pieces of Uni and Ikura....which is sea urchin and salmon eggs. Then grab a cigar if possible.

She's OK with others eating sashimi, but she won't touch the stuff.

She won't try calamari either. Never stopped me from ordering it at a restaurant. Hell, next time we go to the sushi joint I'm ordering the octopus just to watch her reaction.

Oh my.....so you've never had the smoked baby octopus? This is almost like finding out about Santa.....

I find this lack of sushi experience from Weave, shocking.

If there is anything deserving of a food and booze thread.....

I always finish with 3 pieces of Uni and Ikura....which is sea urchin and salmon eggs. Then grab a cigar if possible.

I've had sushi before. Most all of it from Wegman's though. And raw ahi tuna is a favorite of mine. I've just never had the opportunity to hit up an actual sushi bar.

Edited by weave

I've had sushi before. Most all of it from Wegman's though. And raw ahi tuna is a favorite of mine. I've just never had the opportunity to hit up an actual sushi bar.

Oh....this can't be....we need to get you chasing the dragon....

I was oblivious to the glory of sushi until late in life. It's only drawback is it is soooo damn expensive. Wegmans is ok, a solid 6 in terms of selection and taste. It's pretty much all frozen, but a lot of restaurants here have to do that for cost.

Considering your exploratory tastes, you need to check out more. It's probably more fun to go with a group and sit at the bar so you can sample. If you like bold and smoked tastes, like I say...the baby octopus, the eel is good, the uni is desert, the salty salmon roe. A good salmon sashimi tastes like a buttery steak. It's tough if you want to get the lady to try. My dad wanted nothing to do with it but I got him to do salmon sushi and soft shell crab.

I swear, the first luxury I would indulge in if I ever hit the powerball would be to have a sushi chef. It's healthy and awesome....just too much $.

Oh....this can't be....we need to get you chasing the dragon....

I was oblivious to the glory of sushi until late in life. It's only drawback is it is soooo damn expensive. Wegmans is ok, a solid 6 in terms of selection and taste. It's pretty much all frozen, but a lot of restaurants here have to do that for cost.

Considering your exploratory tastes, you need to check out more. It's probably more fun to go with a group and sit at the bar so you can sample. If you like bold and smoked tastes, like I say...the baby octopus, the eel is good, the uni is desert, the salty salmon roe. A good salmon sashimi tastes like a buttery steak. It's tough if you want to get the lady to try. My dad wanted nothing to do with it but I got him to do salmon sushi and soft shell crab.

I swear, the first luxury I would indulge in if I ever hit the powerball would be to have a sushi chef. It's healthy and awesome....just too much $.

I never would eat soft shell crab sushi (it's certain to be fried, isn't it?), but the rest of it is right freaking on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.