What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

What the hell are you doing to yourself?

As for me, it was homemade stir-fry (yeah, we went easy tonight). And a Maker's on the rocks. And a Maker's on the rocks.

Pork rinds are practically health food. Less than 1g of carbs, 2 g of fat and 10g of protein per serving.

Edited by deluca67

Was a Big Lebowski sort of evening. I've lost count of the white russians tonight.

When you have to edit a post 5 times before you post it, you know its been a tough night.

That is hilarious!

(This was my sixth draft of this post. Please pardon any errors.)

tonight's dinner:

"Mexicanized" venison meatloaf. 2/3 ground venison and 1/3 ground pork shoulder. Adding roasted poblano peppers and a can of Ro-Tel to my typical meatlof recipe. Still working on ideas for a quick mole sauce to use as a glaze for the top.

Butternut squash, cubed and rubbed with equal parts chipotle powder and brown sugar, roasted until tender.

I've got a couple turnips that need to get used. May just do a simple mash but I'm still working on ideas to get them into the theme of the meal.

And I still have one last 6er of Dundee Octoberfest that requires drinkin'. So that is today's pour.

Spent the morning cooking. I was going to try making some Thai Green Curry Lentils, but after I started I noticed the cap on the curry was popped. I had a jar of Briyani paste in the fridge, so a couple big spoonfuls later I have a few days worth of spicy Indian lentils. Next up, a slow-cooker Lentil Risotto recipe I've been meaning to try (it's a lentil kind of day). That turned out awesome, and only cooks for an hour or so in the oven (I make my slow-cooker recipes in a cast-iron pot in the oven). Topped with some parmesan cheese, super rich and hearty for a blustery day (for SE PA values of blustery).

It's been a good weekend of eatin and drinkin:

Friday night: varied tapas (lamb, tuna, dates, you name it), some fancy drinks with green tea and Cat Daddy moonshine, and Makers Old Fashioned

Sat. night: lamb burgers with taziki sauce, cranberry swirl cheesecake bars, and mulled wine

tonight: leftovers (lol)

Working tomorrow so we had Thanksgiving on Sunday and I just recently came out of the coma. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy more stuffing, corn, cranberry chutney, rolls, broccoli casserole, green bean casserole, chocolate pie, dutch apple pie, deviled eggs and pumpkin spice cupcakes. Also I think there was a salad in there somewhere, but I don't eat salad.

Sweet potato, quinoa, and lentil stew. Easy and delicious.

Sounds good, I was on a lentil kick last weekend, make Rice and Lentil Risotto and Briyani lentils (lentils with a bunch of Briyani paste). I happen to have quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes to use up, recipe?

I'm sure it's easy.

:P

Sounds good, I was on a lentil kick last weekend, make Rice and Lentil Risotto and Briyani lentils (lentils with a bunch of Briyani paste). I happen to have quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes to use up, recipe?

Here you go -- only change I made was chicken stock instead of veg stock:

http://crockpot.betterrecipes.com/hearty-sweet-potato-and-french-lentil-stew.html

Should add that it definitely makes more than 4-6 servings unless you're super hungry... this was a fairly full 6 qt slow cooker and I would guess more like 8-10 servings. (I'll probably end up freezing some.)

What's Briyani paste?

Edited by biodork

:P

Here you go -- only change I made was chicken stock instead of veg stock:

http://crockpot.bett...entil-stew.html

Should add that it definitely makes more than 4-6 servings unless you're super hungry... this was a fairly full 6 qt slow cooker and I would guess more like 8-10 servings. (I'll probably end up freezing some.)

What's Briyani paste?

Thanks! I'll have to look closely too see if it'll fit in the 4-qt Dutch oven that I use as a "slow cooker".

Briyani paste is an Indian spice paste that (I'd guess, I've never made it at home) you'd use to make "Briyani". :) which is kind of like an Indian-spiced version of Chinese fried rice. This paste has a little bit of a Mexican feel to it, since corriander, cumin, and chilies are the first few ingredients. The lentil concept would work with any curry paste I'd think, I just happened to have a jar of that in the fridge from a different recipe. Next time around I'm going to try adding coconut milk and some Thai curry paste (red, green, or penang).

Thanks! I'll have to look closely too see if it'll fit in the 4-qt Dutch oven that I use as a "slow cooker".

Briyani paste is an Indian spice paste that (I'd guess, I've never made it at home) you'd use to make "Briyani". :) which is kind of like an Indian-spiced version of Chinese fried rice. This paste has a little bit of a Mexican feel to it, since corriander, cumin, and chilies are the first few ingredients. The lentil concept would work with any curry paste I'd think, I just happened to have a jar of that in the fridge from a different recipe. Next time around I'm going to try adding coconut milk and some Thai curry paste (red, green, or penang).

It might fit... mine wasn't full to the lid, but it was probably over 3/4 full so you might need to scale the recipe back a little.

I wonder if that paste is similar to Biryani (not sure how to spell)? I used to work with a girl who was Kurdish, and she'd made a really tasty rice dish called Biryani once. It wasn't spicy, but it had great flavor to it.

Edit: from Wikipedia, sounds a little different:

The spices and condiments used in biryani may include, but are not limited to, ghee (clarified butter), nutmeg, mace,[2] pepper, cloves,[2] cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander, mint leaves,ginger, onions, and garlic. The premium varieties include saffron.[2]

Edited by biodork

Or I might have just spelled it wrong. :blush: The quick look for a recipe I made earlier leads me to believe that biryani is like the term "BBQ" or "curry". There's a lot of variation in there depending on where you are.

lol not necessarily... it looked like there is also an Indian dish called Briyani. ;)

went home for lunch. Girlfriend made quesadillas: chicken, beans, cheese, peppers, onion, tomato all topped with some Sriracha or however it's spelled. Ate so much, I just wanted to lie down for a nap rather than come back to work

Dude, you're so in if you're Sriracha-worthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.