What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

So.. what wine pairs well with peanut butter cookies?

Perhaps unsurprisingly, none. Lol. Was drinking wine (cab) and had the strange urge to make PB cookies, so I chugged the wine while the cookies were baking to avoid overlap. ;)

So.. what wine pairs well with peanut butter cookies?

considering wine country is here, there, and everywhere around Buffalo (Niagara wine trail, Finger Lakes) why do we not have a wine appreciation thread?

Getting Red Lobster for lunch courtesy of mom + dad.

Time for another edition of biodork's brunch:

wild mushroom quiche with baby greens, pine nuts, and balsamic vinaigrette

fruit compote

sweet drop biscuit

green tea martini

Why can't every day be Sunday?

Time for another edition of biodork's brunch:

wild mushroom quiche with baby greens, pine nuts, and balsamic vinaigrette

fruit compote

sweet drop biscuit

green tea martini

Why can't every day be Sunday?

Everyday is like Sunday

Win yourself a cheap tray

Share some greased tea with me

Everyday is silent and gray

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here comes the Goulash Recipe

Ingredients:

2lbs stew beef

2 large onions, quartered

1 clove garlic, chopped/crushed

2 tsp salt

1/4 pepper

1 tblsp paprika

2 tblsp parsley flakes

1 bay leaf

1 tsp thyme

1 tblsp Worchestershire sauce

1 28 oz can whole tomatoes in juice

Flour

Eggnoodles (I like the 12 oz bag of Pennsylvania Dutch Extra Broad egg noodles)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Heat some vegetable/canola oil/(or shortening if you're old school) in a LARGE pan. Add stew beef and onions. Let brown for a few minutes (not necessary to brown long). Add the can of tomatoes and juice. Add garlic and all remaining spices and stir well. In a plastic container (like a tupperware of some sort) put 1 to 1-1/2 cups cold water and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour and shake well. Stir into the goulash and heat until bubbly. Put it in the oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours (make sure whatever you're using can be covered and can go in the oven.) The meat should be tender within 1-1/2 hours but it can stay in for 2 without a problem. I start cooking the noodles around the 1-1/2 hour mark. While the noodles are cooking remove the goulash from the oven. Put the goualsh on low heat on the oventop and add an additional mixture of 1 to 1-1/2 cups cold water and 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour. Stir in on low heat until thick.

Notes:

I use a cast iron Lodge Logic covered fryer pan. https://secure.lodge...&idProduct=4193 I find something like this is the way to go with recipes of this type. If you have something similar, you're in luck.

I like a little extra kick in my goulash, so I go half and half with Hungarian Hot Paprika and regular red paprika. It is Hungarian goulash after all.

If you make noodles but run out before you finish the leftovers, it goes great over some bread.

Good luck!

Made this yesterday and it was yummy.

I made a couple of changes:

Instead of using the flour the way your recipe does, I dredged the stew beef in seasoned flour prior to the sauté. I also substituted beef stock for the water. I used the hot paprika half and half with regular paprika. I have a large ‘le creuset’ oval dutch oven that worked great for this. Also, it took a good two hours for the meat to be fork tender. I will make this again but next time I will use all hot paprika and see how that is.

Thanks for the recipe.

Made this yesterday and it was yummy.

I made a couple of changes:

Instead of using the flour the way your recipe does, I dredged the stew beef in seasoned flour prior to the sauté. I also substituted beef stock for the water. I used the hot paprika half and half with regular paprika. I have a large ‘le creuset’ oval dutch oven that worked great for this. Also, it took a good two hours for the meat to be fork tender. I will make this again but next time I will use all hot paprika and see how that is.

Thanks for the recipe.

Glad you liked it!

• 2 weeks later...

1 five-ounce smoked trout filet, skinned and coarsely chopped.

1 celery rib, chopped.

1 large lime, squeezed over the foregoing.

Some coriander/cilantro (it's the same thing), leaves only, minced, and to your taste. I use quite a bit.

Salt and pepper.

Combine in bowl.

Eat.

I'm going to try it again with crabmeat, but with that, I think I might need to have it sit for a bit; the crab won't have the strong taste that smoked trout does.

Also, I'm thinking some chopped mango, or even sweet grapefruit, enhances the above.

Drinking some Rusty Chain at the moment. I've come to like the Flying Bison beers, and always like supporting local businesses. Has anybody tried their IPA yet?

I suspect it is the same beer as their old IPA, Warbird.

Oh, and wasabi peas FTW!

Edited by weave

Marinated a few chicken breasts in balsamic vinagerette overnight, then cut up the chicken into small pieces and baked/roasted all together in the oven. Afterwards, put some of the chicken (and sauce) on a rye wrap with roasted red pepper spread. Tasty times.

Had my standard lunch/dinner: half a container of Wegman's Spring Mix with herbs salad mix, and a can of tuna on two buns. Mix a little cheddar cheese, hot paprika and salt in with a little lite mayo and you got a great meal. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hah just posted in the beer thread as well..miss these threads.

Anyway, making fish tacos tonight..using frozen grouper for the fish, grilled quickly on the grill pan with mango salso and rest of usual taco ingrediants like lettuce, tomato, and island hot sause. Making some Texmati rice with dried apricots and toasted almonds as side.

1 five-ounce smoked trout filet, skinned and coarsely chopped.

I'm going to try it again with crabmeat, but with that, I think I might need to have it sit for a bit; the crab won't have the strong taste that smoked trout does.

Also, I'm thinking some chopped mango, or even sweet grapefruit, enhances the above.

You might try Kipper Snacks or Brisling Sardines (both canned and at most grocery stores). They'll have that stronger smoked fish taste, and are high in Omega-3.

Also, Pesto salmon. Super easy, super good: Oven on 425. Salmon on foil on a baking sheet. I fold up the edges to contain the oil that'll roll off the fish for easier cleanup. Spoon on pesto, 1/4" thick or more is about right, depending on how much like basil. Bake for 15 minutes.

Make some other side while it's in the oven (sweet potato whole for 6.5 min in the microwave works).

(oh, and make sure you don't contaminate the jar of pesto with the fishy spoon)

Hah just posted in the beer thread as well..miss these threads.

Anyway, making fish tacos tonight..using frozen grouper for the fish, grilled quickly on the grill pan with mango salso and rest of usual taco ingrediants like lettuce, tomato, and island hot sause. Making some Texmati rice with dried apricots and toasted almonds as side.

Grouper.....the power forward of fish. Love it.

And for the fish dip Eleven is making.....why not whitefish? Eat it all the time in Florida with some tostito chips.

I don't often buy the sauces/marinades with TV Chefs on the bottle. I have to say that Guy Fieri's Carolina #6 BBQ sauce/marinade is really good. It added a really nice flavor to some chicken I grilled last night. It didn't overpower or cake onto the chicken like some sauces do.

My mother's macaroni tuna salad recipe. Perfect for hot and humid days. Goes great with salty chips and beer. :beer:

Bring large pan of water to boil and cook around 2 to 2 1/2 cups of elbow macaroni following instructions on package. Drain and rinse with cold water until cooled down. Set the colander over the pan and let drain while you finish getting all the ingredients ready.

While macaroni is cooking prepare/assemble:

Chop 2 large stalks of celery or 3 small.

Chop into small pieces about 1/2 of a green pepper and 1/2 of a red pepper.

I usually use about 1/2 bag of the Wegman's shredded carrots.

Open, drain and break apart 4 (5 oz) cans of tuna.

For the dressing:

In a bowl or 4-cup glass measuring cup stir together:

about 2 generous cups of mayo

1 tablespoon dried minced onion

1-2 teaspoons of (Lawry's) Seasoned Salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or use freshly ground pepper - just eyeball it)

Stir it altogether in a large container and enjoy. The measurements of the mayo etc are approximations. If you feel you need more dressing - just mix another cup or so of mayo and some more seasoned salt into the salad. A lot depends on just how much elbow macaroni you have cooked.

Throw it in the fridge to cool down for a few hours (or the freezer if you're in a hurry!)

Edited by d4rksabre

Forgot to post the cookout fare from yesterday, but tasty times.

To eat:

coconut and lime burgers (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crunchy-coconut-and-lime-burgers/detail.aspx?src=VD_Summary)

ranch and onion burgers

cheese franks

grilled corn

potato salad with green chile and cilantro salsa (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fingerling-Potato-Salad-with-Green-Chile-Cilantro-Salsa-103570)

To drink: homemade red sangria

And for dessert: fruit tart

Mmmm.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.