What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

One of my girlfriend's friends was drinking a Ukrainian beer called Obolon Bile the other day, so I picked up a bottle up from Beers of the World.

Let's talk about how bad this is. I'm having a hard time finishing it.

I don't like beer, but no matter how bad, I can finish it. That must be one horrible beer.

Well, it is called bile :blink:

That was my first thought, but I decided to go against my pre-disposed hatred of green bottles and give it a try. No bueno.

I don't like beer, but no matter how bad, I can finish it. That must be one horrible beer.

It's just...pure skunk water. I'm gonna go wash the taste out of my mouth with a Genny Light.

That was my first thought, but I decided to go against my pre-disposed hatred of green bottles and give it a try. No bueno.

It's just...pure skunk water. I'm gonna go wash the taste out of my mouth with a Genny Light.

Oh. That bad.

Sorry.

Guest Sloth

One of my girlfriend's friends was drinking a Ukrainian beer called Obolon Bile the other day, so I picked up a bottle up from Beers of the World.

It's a man rule though. Once you crack one open, gotta finish it...

I don't chug anymore. That's for college kids with something to prove. I'm not here to impress anyone.

That's something a graduate student would say.

You chug because your body craves the alcohol after 18 hours. It's not to impress.....it's to stop involuntary tremors and your liver from drying out. After the first 2...then you can relax.

Tell'm Eleven.....

Guest Sloth

I don't chug anymore. That's for college kids with something to prove. I'm not here to impress anyone.

Beyond true. In college, it is a lot of about the chuggin'. Remember those days? I don't! ha ha Beyond kidding on that...

On a serious note, as you get older, you begin to appreciate the taste and slow things down. You also begin to buy the better tasting, more expensive stuff. My preference is Sam Adam's. Love their seasonals!

My most basic beer buying rule- avoid beer in green bottles. UV light fron flourescent lights does nasty, nasty things to beer in green bottles.

You chug because your body craves the alcohol after 18 hours. It's not to impress.....it's to stop involuntary tremors and your liver from drying out. After the first 2...then you can relax.

Tell'm Eleven.....

:lol:

My most basic beer buying rule- avoid beer in green bottles. UV light fron flourescent lights does nasty, nasty things to beer in green bottles.

That is my number one rule as well, but I broke it for the sake of experimentation. Boy was that a poor choice.

Tell'm Eleven.....

:lol: you got me

Hmm....I know a lot of people rave about Bar Bill and their wings......and they were fine and good.....and it was a good dive atmosphere.....but I'm going B+. There was nothing that would draw me out there again other than friends.....although I guess 9:15 was too late to try their roast beef.

I had just seen it talked up so much...I was expecting Sidney Crosby and got Daniel Alfredsson. Nothing wrong, just could put it in the rotation with a few dozen other places in town.

My worst was ###### Modela. My girlfriend loves the stuff but I think it tastes like cardboard. Wet cardboard. What? I can't say N-EGRO?

It's actually Negra Modelo, and I do enjoy that from time to time myself. The wet cardboard flavor and aroma you describe is the hallmark of an oxidized beer.

Clear bottles also allow in the light to attack to isomerized alpha acids that produces the skunked beer.

It's actually Negra Modelo, and I do enjoy that from time to time myself. The wet cardboard flavor and aroma you describe is the hallmark of an oxidized beer.

Clear bottles also allow in the light to attack to isomerized alpha acids that produces the skunked beer.

Oooooo....... talk dirty to me some more.

i've never had it myself, but in general I avoid european bottled beers. Many of those beers are meant to be consumed fresh and that's usually impossible to accomplish when shipping over here in most cases, plus as you mention you have the green bottle issue with this one. Having said that, I went over to beer advocate and the few reviews there are for this beer are generally positive.

With a name like this, how could you NOT pick it up? Original Taste - Obolon Bile. Yum.

What a gorgeous pour! Hazy orange with a dense white head with great retention. Unfortunately, not much lacing is observed.

This is one strange bastard. It's a combination of a witbier with clove and pepper, some grassiness, some skunk (green bottle FTW). Definitely "green", the smell of fresh cut grass is pretty big. Bready and wheaty. The coriander is rather prominent, in someways this makes me think "unsalted, uninfected gose". Decent, I guess. With some time, the skunk character disappears, and this one is all coriander.

Surprisingly decent, this beer opens up with a combination of spices (coriander seeds, pepper, and nutmeg) carried on a wheat-based body. Bready, all the grassy and skunky notes just don't seem to show up on the palate. Plenty of spice is present, this unfortunately thins out mid-palate, resulting in a rather whelming spice character. Coriander is so over the top, I am reminded again of the few goses I've had and how fresh and green the coriander character is in them. Drying on the finish, this finishes spicy with a lot of coriander. Light in body with high carbonation, this is solid on the palate, and is quite drinkable.

Serving type: bottle

Brunch today was yummy (as always).

For me: pomegranate mimosa and lime braised boar carnitas with mango salsa.

For the boy: lychee mimosa and "the Ritz"; a variation on eggs benedict with two 4 oz filets, gorgonzola, hollandaise sauce, poached egg, and a red wine reduction sauce over top.

Now if only I had time for a nap, lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.