What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Or should this be in the olympic thread? :)

Beer bottle "thrown" at 100 meter finalists - looks like it is green.

http://sports.yahoo....31088--oly.html

Thank you for your accurate description of what happened. How is that headline ("Beer bottle thrown at Usain Bolt before 100 final") anything close to responsible journalism, given the contents of the article, even in the Internet age?

Edited by Eleven

Guest Sloth

Food in the south blows. Very few local type restaraunts, no legit italian food and most certainly not any good wing/pizza places. Pretty sad when your choices are pizza hut, dominos and papa john's.

Food in the south blows. Very few local type restaraunts, no legit italian food and most certainly not any good wing/pizza places. Pretty sad when your choices are pizza hut, dominos and papa john's.

I just spent eight days in the Deep South with AWESOME local restaurants down there, including a wonderful northern Italian restaurant. Few chains (except pizza); it was like someone transported Elmwood Avenue 1100 miles south. My problem was that everything was really heavy. Even breakfast--the lightest thing I could get was pastry. Not a slice of fresh fruit to be found anywhere.

But pizza and wings? No way. I ordered Domino's one night just to taste Domino's for the first time in nine years (well, and because I was working until 11pm), not because I thought it was pizza.

Edited by Eleven

Anyone going to Buffalo Brewfest tonight?

I would if I was in town, but I have to say after looking at the site and the listed breweries, the lineup is a bit of a disappointment.

Breweries/Beers I would seek out:

Brooklyn brewery

Ellicottville - that pale ale looks interesting

Flying Bison - Rusty Chain and Aviator are great. Say hi to Tim Herzog for me.

Gordon Biersch - Oktoberfest

Great Lakes - No Burning River or Dortmunder, WTF?

Brewery Ommegang - Witte and Rare Vos are probably my two least favorite of their offerings. Should've had Hennepin.

Rohrbach Brewing - California IPA looks interesting, hopefully they lay off the crystal malt like a true Cal IPA does.

Victory - Out of all they breweries there, this is the one I'd normally be most excited about, but they are only pouring their Summer Ale? That's IT???!! Major fail.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Mmmmm.... Hennepin. My favorite saison.

As for what are you eating.....

Venison tacos. Made a "quick mole" sauce to cook the venison in. Flour tortilla, sour cream, green onion, shredded mild cheddar, and a good dose of Dr. Gonzo's Buffalo Balm hot sauce. Mmm, mmmmm.

Yesterday after Eid Prayers we met two wonderful couples that came to Halifax from Bosnia.

One of them invited us over for lunch ... glad to see the great Bosnian hospitality does not go away when people leave.

Bosnian coffee (my first in a month) and homemade cakes first, of course. Then Bosnian burek or "pita" ...

Then lamb, veal and veggies "under the bell", or sac. Oh, my!! ...

We spent about 10 hours with these people and their family.

I love Eid!!

Made Pork Chops on the grill, stuffed with crumbled Blue Cheese, topped with Olive Oil, Rosemary, Thyme, and freshly ground pepper, dipped in Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce! MMMMM

Had some Parmesan Pasta as a side (you know, that cheap Pasta Side dish that comes in a pouch?)...I know, go all in on the main food, and do that on the side course? meh...I still have part of my old cheap college mindset when it comes to meals.

We belong to a CSA (aka farm co-op). Todays pickup overloaded us with summer squash, zucchini, and eggplant. Again.

Tonights dinner choice was easy. Ratatouille. Gotta get rid of all those veggies somehow.

Served with a side of dry aged NY strip of course!

We belong to a CSA (aka farm co-op). Todays pickup overloaded us with summer squash, zucchini, and eggplant. Again.

Tonights dinner choice was easy. Ratatouille. Gotta get rid of all those veggies somehow.

Served with a side of dry aged NY strip of course!

So do we. Can't wait till Wednesday ... delivery day.

Your haul sounds dreamy, as was how you dealt with it, except for the NY strip.

Bio, how did you make your shrimp curry?

As for me today, sitting on the deck with a bloody mary, I have two full pork shoulders on the smoker (4am wakeup call), a big pot o' baked beans that will end up on the smoker too, 3 different Oktoberfest beers, the last of the Hopsun, and 2 growlers of Southern Tier Harvest ale.

It's gonna be a good day Tater.

Have you ever put the eans below the meat to catch some drippings? I never haver have..just wondering what they taste like?

Never have. And now that you mention it, there is no good reason why I haven't. Next time, I guess.

And what in gods green earth do you do with 30-40 lbs of pork?

The leftover deliciousness goes into meal sized freezer bags and hits the deep freeze. Barbeque right through the deepest months of Winter.

Never have. And now that you mention it, there is no good reason why I haven't. Next time, I guess.

The leftover deliciousness goes into meal sized freezer bags and hits the deep freeze. Barbeque right through the deepest months of Winter.

I'll bet you could make some amazing gravy with the drippings.

Weave, I'm kinda embarrased to admit how I made mine since you're obviously a pretty good cook, lol. I pretty much used a simple red curry recipe from my Thai cookbook, with minor changes. Browned some garlic and onion/herb seasoning (no veggies in the house at the time), added coconut milk and brought to a boil, added red curry paste and stirred/pressed to combine, let reduce a little a bit, then added brown sugar, fish sauce, and the shrimp and cooked a few minutes more. Served over jasmine rice with a bit of soy sauce. Still spicy for me from the curry paste, but nowhere near the heat yours would have had.

Weave, I'm kinda embarrased to admit how I made mine since you're obviously a pretty good cook, lol. I pretty much used a simple red curry recipe from my Thai cookbook, with minor changes. Browned some garlic and onion/herb seasoning (no veggies in the house at the time), added coconut milk and brought to a boil, added red curry paste and stirred/pressed to combine, let reduce a little a bit, then added brown sugar, fish sauce, and the shrimp and cooked a few minutes more. Served over jasmine rice with a bit of soy sauce. Still spicy for me from the curry paste, but nowhere near the heat yours would have had.

Still sounds tasty enough!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.