What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Guy Fieri has nothing on me when it comes to leftovers:

1 6 oz smoked trout fillet

1/3 cup spaetzle (Wegmans has it, I don't want to hear a bunch of nonsense about this being exotic)

1/2 oz cheese of your choice, the lighter in color the better, and if smoked cheese (smoked swiss or gouda is best), even better still

2 celery ribs, trimmed of leaves

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 clove of a shallot, or about 1/6 of a red onion

some coriander a/k/a cilantro a/k/a chinese parsley

1 good-sized lime

Salt

Pepper

Ice, two good bowls, and a decent colander.

Start boiling that spaetzle. It takes 20 mins. In the meantime, mince the shallot and cut the celery into small dice. Take the stems off of the coriander and rip the leaves (already small) into even smaller bits. Grate the cheese.

10 minutes into the spaetzle boil, start a small pan on low heat with the olive oil and minced shallot. Add the salt and pepper. Skin the trout and start pulling it into small pieces. Fix an ice water bath in one of the bowls.

When spaetzle is done, drain it and throw it into the pan with the olive oil, shallot, pepper, salt. Leave it alone for a few minutes as it gets crisp on one side. Then throw it so the other side hits the pan, and sprinkle the cheese on top. Give it another couple of mins, and flip again for one minute. Then, back into the colander.

Right into the ice water bath with that. Yes, with the cheese. Trust me. Once it's cold, it's into the other bowl.

Put all other ingredients, save the lime, in there. Toss. Squeeze the lime over it. Toss again. (Yeah, my inner Beavis is laughing too, it's ok.) If you can, let it marinate in the fridge for an hour. If not, start eating.

Feeds two for lunch and one hungry one for dinner. Pretty low-fat (it's just the oil and a small amount of cheese) and damned tasty.

Improvised tonight.

Edited by Eleven

• 2 weeks later...

Don't all 3 of you guys flush at once.....I need some pressure to water the lawn.

:w00t:

Excellent selections, good sir. May I suggest the Bumblebee tuna as an appetizer?

Yum Yum bumblebee bumblebee tuna I love bumblebee bumblebee tuna!

I love me some Sezers.

Caesar's? #dumbblonde

Don't try to type when you have dressing on your fingers.

Excuse my posts...I ran out of beer...moved onto some Clamato...now am on a bottle of merlot.

You're going to need to flush after all that.

Epic campfire meal last night.

6.5# prime rib rubbed with k salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic slow roasted over a wood fire (indirect heat) until medium rare. Served with home fries made in a cast iron pan and summer squash marinated in garlic balsamic vinegar and grilled over the camp fire.

Tonight's meal is pan fried lake perch.

6.5# prime rib rubbed with k salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic slow roasted over a wood fire (indirect heat) until medium rare. Served with home fries made in a cast iron pan and summer squash marinated in garlic balsamic vinegar and grilled over the camp fire.

dear god sir. That sounds epically delicious!

Om nom nom nom.

Also: Color me jealous.

That sounds so much better than oatmeal and yogurt. :(

The Flynnie Thinnie from The Place. With the house-made mustard. Yeah, heartburn will kick in. Yeah, the nostalgia of The Place (if you're in Buffalo proper, you know it, and if you're not, it's ok) makes it all work out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.