What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Happy to help. ;) I'll probably pass on the habanero for myself since I'm a wimp when it comes to spice, lol. I've only used red curry paste thus far in my Thai cooking (and even that can get too hot for me if I use a lot of it), so I'm curious to try yellow and see how the flavor/heat compares.

Had some leftover homemade Gagutz with two slices of Italian bread. Delicious lunch (sure beats the PB&J I had yesterday ;) )

Gagutz? Had to google that one.

Urban dictionary sez I am a gagutz for not knowing. :P

Edited by weave

My grandmother makes it regularly. I decided to try my own hand at it. Used homemade sauce, some peppers and zuchinni straight out of the garden, a red onion, I added a little meat to the sauce (although traditionally there isn't meat in it I don't believe) a few spices and presto... (it's supposed to have egg plant too, but I didn't have any that were good for pickin' out of the garden yet) :(

served with some Italian bread, and it's delicious, and healthy!

Cottage cheese. I've never had it before, so I decided to buy some at Wegmans this afternoon. Went for the 4% fat version because I only go high octane on my dairy products.

Put some lemon juice, salt and pepper on it, and currently enjoying. It will definitely be making itself a regular fixture in my diet. :thumbsup:

Cottage cheese. I've never had it before, so I decided to buy some at Wegmans this afternoon. Went for the 4% fat version because I only go high octane on my dairy products.

Put some lemon juice, salt and pepper on it, and currently enjoying. It will definitely be making itself a regular fixture in my diet. :thumbsup:

I grew up eating cottage cheese with potato chips. My Dad and Grandpa have always used it as a chip dip.

I went to one of those u-pick-em blueberry places yesterday and within several hours of giving up their life to me, those succulent little antioxidant factories of health were in a 5,000 calorie blueberry sour cream coffee cake with crumb topping. I'm trying to do the right thing by the rest of them. 2% milk, whole grain shredded wheat, etc., but pancakes and waffles are definitely also in their future.

Very true in my experience as well. Do a side by side sometime of Heineken in green bottle vs Heineken in a can. No comparison.

The green bottle turns the beer skunky faster. I had the same problem years ago with Molson Canadian. No matter where I went the Canadian tasted off. A bar tender told me it was a commom complaint of Canadians.

Today I am enjoying some ice cold Coors Light and some Parma Prosciutto on fresh Italian bread.

Cornel chicken, roasted cherry tomato/vidalia/and garlic bruschetta, and a rough greens and roasted beet salad with a simple vinagrette

And cheap, sweet red wine with a hit of seltzer and a few ice cubes. Hot day deck cocktails.

The green bottle turns the beer skunky faster. I had the same problem years ago with Molson Canadian. No matter where I went the Canadian tasted off. A bar tender told me it was a commom complaint of Canadians.

I have to ask - if this were actually true, then why would all these beer companies (who would presumably know about this phenomenon) still use green bottles? :blink:

It makes me wonder if this is actually a real thing or if all y'alls are just succumbing to confirmation bias or communal reinforcement.

I have to ask - if this were actually true, then why would all these beer companies (who would presumably know about this phenomenon) still use green bottles? :blink:

It makes me wonder if this is actually a real thing or if all y'alls are just succumbing to confirmation bias or communal reinforcement.

Oh, the effect of lighter colored glass on beer is quite real, and well documented. See this short article in The Scientific American. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=chemists-determine-cause

The phenomenon of beer turning skunky after exposure to light has been reported in the literature for more than 100 years, Forbes notes, but only now have scientists pinpointed the underlying mechanism. Using a type of spectroscopy that exploits electron spin, the researchers compiled a computer simulation of the reaction by which light-sensitive molecules in hops degrade into unpleasant-smelling products. The mechanism is intriguing, Forbes says, because one part of the molecule absorbs light energy that then migrates through the molecule and causes a free radical to form at a different location. "The final product of the reaction turns out to be what we call 'skunky thiol,' an analogue of a compound found in skunk glands that produces a very bad taste and smell," Forbes says. The flavor threshold of the thiol is so low, the authors write, that concentrations of a few parts-per-trillion can make beer unpalatable.

As for why beer companies would use clear or green glass when this phenomenon is well documented, I have no idea. Do note that nearly every craft beer and premium label around the world uses brown glass. Maybe it is to readily visually differentiate premium beer from lower grade beers? Just a guess.

http://brokensecrets.com/2010/03/23/why-beer-bottles-are-green-brown-or-clear/

Beer bottles were green in color until the 1930s when it was discovered that brown bottles filtered out some light that prevented the beer from going “skunky.” It’s not called “skunky” because it smells bad, it’s called that because if you expose beer to light for long enough, it will actually smell like a skunk. Chemists at the University of North Carolina and Ghent University in Belgium found that sunlight breaks down alpha acids in hops that react with sulfur to make a chemical that is nearly identical to the smelly chemical that skunks spray.

Brown bottles filter out visible and ultraviolet light that causes this reaction. Clear and green bottles don’t do much for filtering out the harmful light, clear and green bottles are often a marketing decision more than a practical one.

Clear bottles look great, showing off the color and texture of the beer while green bottles were once a status symbol for beer. After World War II, there was a shortage of brown glass, so European brewers exported their beer in green bottles. Because many of those beers were extremely high quality and others were just priced to seem that way, the green bottle became a status symbol for great beer.

Beers with little or no hops aren’t as susceptible to damage from light, so clear and green bottles are widely accepted for those beers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.