Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

Any idea how many multiple goal leads Lindy Ruff coached teams have given up?

Not that I necessarily think it would affect your point, but to be a little more rigorous, I'd want to have something to compare it to (e.g., the proportion of leads, especially early ones, given up by non Ruff coached teams.)

The fact that the same core group has been doing this dance of not being able to lock down games, or play 60 minutes, or score when its absolutely necessary begs the question WTH has Darcy not traded any of them? and why hasnt Ruff asked any of them to be traded? Its a complete failure. I said it at the time and I will say it again, Stafford contract is a joke because he can't possibly live up to it. He had 4 hat tricks in 4 games for 12 of his 31 goals... THATS NOT GREATNESS ITS LUCK! When is Darcy going to start getting guys who are consistent and when is ruff going to start coaching guys to be consistent?

The fact that the same core group has been doing this dance of not being able to lock down games, or play 60 minutes, or score when its absolutely necessary begs the question WTH has Darcy not traded any of them? and why hasnt Ruff asked any of them to be traded? Its a complete failure. I said it at the time and I will say it again, Stafford contract is a joke because he can't possibly live up to it. He had 4 hat tricks in 4 games for 12 of his 31 goals... THATS NOT GREATNESS ITS LUCK! When is Darcy going to start getting guys who are consistent and when is ruff going to start coaching guys to be consistent?

Isnt Arby's 5 for 5.95? I thought that was there deal... now I want some roast beef sandwiches.... wait, you....ooooo

Its right around what I thought and im fine with it, i thought it would be for shorter time but hey drew could turn into a legit consistent guy I'll give him next season before i pass judgment.

Did you actually save that quote, biding your time to throw it out there?

LGR -- let this be a lesson, and learn it well: women don't forget anything.

Thank You for your welcoming words. I will not try to be too much of a downer.

I am glad you brought up Ruff's coaching style.

There is one thing that has always bother me with Ruff's "system". I really Question if there is any real system at all. I see a team that inconsistantly forechecks. Runs no disciplined zone in the neautral zone. The only consistant system seems to be his it the obsession with line changes. I don't mean Line schuffling, which there is way too much of. I mean the high school type attitude of letting the winger (usually the Right side) dump the puck in or around the goaltender, while all three forwards rush to the bench (with the exception to the coasting Roy). That is why they cannot sustain a forecheck like other NHL teams like Pittsburgh or Boston can.

Just think back over the years how many times you have seen Pomminstein, Kotalik, Stafford, Satan and the like just slap the puck in or on net from the blue line and peel away. Is a staggered line change like the other 29 teams in the NHL use.

This was in FULL display last night. Both the line juggling including d men pairing but most frustratingly the dump it and change lines while Philly has a free run back out to center ice with the puck!

It was brutal watching the way we did it vs. what Philly was doing on line changes. They would dump it and send one guy in while the others changed. Sadly I saw quite often that that lone Philly player was the one who would get to the puck first deep in our end while they had fresh legs coming up the ice. It was kind of pathetic actually that it stood out so much.

I noticed it more and more thanks to your post. Thanks a lot. Something else for me to cripe about lol

Ted Black on GR this morning.

http://www.wgr550.co...audioId=5589826

3:10 mark

Jeremy Question: In your mind or Terry Pegula's mind there is no issue with coach or GM right now?

Black Answer: None

I highly suggest people listen to the entire interview.

The honeymoon is officially over in my opinion. I have always praised Black's style and off the cuff interviews. Here he comes across as knowing the team and people involved are under a critical eye right now, yet sounds a combination of defiant, whiney, and full of excuses. On one hand he uses injuries as an excuse, then goes on to say guys like Adam, McNabb and Kassian have been able to show they are bonafied NHL players. He was short and defensive in some replies.....and it was Howard Simon asking questions for God's sake! He seems to like deflecting certain questions to "the hockey ops" guys, yet was at the ready with an excuse about changing up defensive pairings having a negative effect.

I think I have some of my questions answered as to how Pegula would view this situation. They are digging in and taking the critical talk personal it seems. When Black asks why Coach or GM should be an issue right now.....oofff... They are going to double down again on these two "winners", and watch Darcy go out and make a trade that will handcuff us even further.

This is the problem right now. We are spending the whole wad on decisions made by Regier and Ruff. If we would have done the prudent thing at the deadline last year and stockpiled picks for guys like Connolly, Montador, and Stafford....and looked to move other high priced vets in a Darcy self-described "total sellers market", we could have been loaded for bear for a new GM/Coach to use this as a transformation year and really pressed for a huge jump the next few years.

Pegula is like a contestant on Who Wants to be a Millionaire who is about the use up his last lifeline on the $25,000 question. Now I'm worried.

The honeymoon is officially over in my opinion. I have always praised Black's style and off the cuff interviews. Here he comes across as knowing the team and people involved are under a critical eye right now, yet sounds a combination of defiant, whiney, and full of excuses. On one hand he uses injuries as an excuse, then goes on to say guys like Adam, McNabb and Kassian have been able to show they are bonafied NHL players. He was short and defensive in some replies.....and it was Howard Simon asking questions for God's sake! He seems to like deflecting certain questions to "the hockey ops" guys, yet was at the ready with an excuse about changing up defensive pairings having a negative effect.

I think I have some of my questions answered as to how Pegula would view this situation. They are digging in and taking the critical talk personal it seems. When Black asks why Coach or GM should be an issue right now.....oofff... They are going to double down again on these two "winners", and watch Darcy go out and make a trade that will handcuff us even further.

This is the problem right now. We are spending the whole wad on decisions made by Regier and Ruff. If we would have done the prudent thing at the deadline last year and stockpiled picks for guys like Connolly, Montador, and Stafford....and looked to move other high priced vets in a Darcy self-described "total sellers market", we could have been loaded for bear for a new GM/Coach to use this as a transformation year and really pressed for a huge jump the next few years.

Pegula is like a contestant on Who Wants to be a Millionaire who is about the use up his last lifeline on the $25,000 question. Now I'm worried.

:w00t:

So let me get this straight, you expected Darcy to go out and deal away players for picks and prospects at last years deadline, so his repolacements would be set up to succeed after he is fired????

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read..............

So let me get this straight, you expected Darcy to go out and deal away players for picks and prospects at last years deadline, so his repolacements would be set up to succeed after he is fired????

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read..............

Just wait. It will get better.

What would you think of an NHL team that cleaned house 1/3 of the way into the first full season under new ownership, and that ownership just extended the coach? If this team was say...the Avalanche...would you roll your eyes and say WTF?

PTR

The thought would be that their ownership isn't interested in wasting anymore of the team's and fan's time on a management team that has gone stale and a product that has become predictable. That the owner is smart enough to recognize that the coach's extension and the retention of the GM were mistakes and he is prepared to remedy those mistakes and start the process of turning this team into the right direction immediately.

This goes to my point of Pegula being a starry-eyed fanboy instead of the prudent owner with deep pockets this franchise needed. From the point he took over till he finally removes Ruff and Regier will be viewed as a waste of time. Last seasons trade deadline is a great example.

Well, if you assume you are right that DR and LR should have been replaced, you've assumed away the whole issue.

I listened to the interview (and would also urge everyone to listen to it, as well as to DR's interviews, which are generally on Fridays when the Sabres have a home game that night, as well as Lindy's interviews). I heard a guy defending his team, both players and management. Yes, he was using the injuries as an excuse, but the point of doing so was to defend his team from criticism. That's what he should be doing, IMHO -- not pounding the table and issuing ultimatums through the media, which would be a bush league move.

I also heard him say quite clearly that they are going to win the Cup or "die trying" and that trades are definitely on the table.

I don't think they are going to stick doggedly with DR and LR if the results aren't there. They just aren't going to panic and pull the plug after 25 games, especially given the number of injuries. You might consider whether a guy who has run a successful NHL franchise and another guy who has built a hugely successful business might collectively have a bit of wisdom as to the best way to proceed.

What would you think of an NHL team that cleaned house 1/3 of the way into the first full season under new ownership, and that ownership just extended the coach? If this team was say...the Avalanche...would you roll your eyes and say WTF?

PTR

Exactly. Bush league.

This goes to my point of Pegula being a starry-eyed fanboy instead of the prudent owner with deep pockets this franchise needed. From the point he took over till he finally removes Ruff and Regier will be viewed as a waste of time. Last seasons trade deadline is a great example.

So -- did you listen to the interview? Or did you just come firing out with the "fanboy" accusation without considering the information available?

Well, if you assume you are right that DR and LR should have been replaced, you've assumed away the whole issue.

I listened to the interview (and would also urge everyone to listen to it, as well as to DR's interviews, which are generally on Fridays when the Sabres have a home game that night, as well as Lindy's interviews). I heard a guy defending his team, both players and management. Yes, he was using the injuries as an excuse, but the point of doing so was to defend his team from criticism. That's what he should be doing, IMHO -- not pounding the table and issuing ultimatums through the media, which would be a bush league move.

I also heard him say quite clearly that they are going to win the Cup or "die trying" and that trades are definitely on the table.

I don't think they are going to stick doggedly with DR and LR if the results aren't there. They just aren't going to panic and pull the plug after 25 games, especially given the number of injuries. You might consider whether a guy who has run a successful NHL franchise and another guy who has built a hugely successful business might collectively have a bit of wisdom as to the best way to proceed.

Exactly. Bush league.

So -- did you listen to the interview? Or did you just come firing out with the "fanboy" accusation without considering the information available?

I stopped after he started using injuries as an excuse and said there was no issues with coaching or the GM. That pretty much told me all I need to know.

I thought Pegula may have been embarassed by what transpired in Boston. I guess I was on the wrong beat.

By hinting at making a trade....they are going to speed up the sinking of the ship. Darcy already handed out $125 million this year on Stafford, Lieno, Ehrhoff, Sekera and Myers alone. What are the early projections on that return on investment?

This is the first time I feel that Black is trying to hoodwink me. I took his nice guy, hands on, family feel at face value this whole time. Now to respond in such a snarky tone that anyone dare question the GM or coach.....and to say "This team is substantially better than when Terry took over 10 months ago.".........sweet Jesus......Ted....you're a bright guy.....this town is full of educated hockey fans.....don't set up your administration's eventual embarassment to be any worse than it has to be. I'm willing to forgive Mr Pegula for being nostalgic...but at a certain point, the average fan is going to lose faith very quickly. That may have already been the case after the Boston game. It is one thing to talk about having patience, but the tone of that interview really leaves me scratching my head.

Ted.....Your 5 captains have been on the ice almost the entire season....Your top 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, and goaltender last night account for $46 million of the salary cap. Your top 11 guys on the ice come within $7 million of the entire Florida Panthers organ-eye-zation's expenditures. The same Florida Panthers who are gapping away from you in the standings with your old AHL coach.

Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff have 28 combined years as GM and coach of the Buffalo Sabres. You and Mr. Pegula have a combined 20 months. Please understand that there are plenty of educated people out there who have seen the entire body of work of these two fellas...and the players they have coddled for going on 2 decades.

Don't take it personally.........the last 2 guys that held your job were Tim Rigas and Larry Quinn. You'd have to be a real F-up to fall into that territory. Don't start closing the gap. Thank You.

I thought Pegula may have been embarassed by what transpired in Boston. I guess I was on the wrong beat.

By hinting at making a trade....they are going to speed up the sinking of the ship. Darcy already handed out $125 million this year on Stafford, Lieno, Ehrhoff, Sekera and Myers alone. What are the early projections on that return on investment?

This is the first time I feel that Black is trying to hoodwink me. I took his nice guy, hands on, family feel at face value this whole time. Now to respond in such a snarky tone that anyone dare question the GM or coach.....and to say "This team is substantially better than when Terry took over 10 months ago.".........sweet Jesus......Ted....you're a bright guy.....this town is full of educated hockey fans.....don't set up your administration's eventual embarassment to be any worse than it has to be. I'm willing to forgive Mr Pegula for being nostalgic...but at a certain point, the average fan is going to lose faith very quickly. That may have already been the case after the Boston game. It is one thing to talk about having patience, but the tone of that interview really leaves me scratching my head.

Ted.....Your 5 captains have been on the ice almost the entire season....Your top 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, and goaltender last night account for $46 million of the salary cap. Your top 11 guys on the ice come within $7 million of the entire Florida Panthers organ-eye-zation's expenditures. The same Florida Panthers who are gapping away from you in the standings with your old AHL coach.

Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff have 28 combined years as GM and coach of the Buffalo Sabres. You and Mr. Pegula have a combined 20 months. Please understand that there are plenty of educated people out there who have seen the entire body of work of these two fellas...and the players they have coddled for going on 2 decades.

Don't take it personally.........the last 2 guys that held your job were Tim Rigas and Larry Quinn. You'd have to be a real F-up to fall into that territory. Don't start closing the gap. Thank You.

For Ted Black to say "This team is substantially better" makes me feel embarrassed for the guy. I understand he is a media/PR guy and he has a certain face that he has to put on for the public. My hope for the future lies in the idea that Ted Black knows better than what he is letting on and that he is working behind the scenes to position Pegula to make changes. It is truly the only hope fans have left to hold on to.

For Ted Black to say "This team is substantially better" makes me feel embarrassed for the guy. I understand he is a media/PR guy and he has a certain face that he has to put on for the public. My hope for the future lies in the idea that Ted Black knows better than what he is letting on and that he is working behind the scenes to position Pegula to make changes. It is truly the only hope fans have left to hold on to.

I feel that Ted Black is more of a behind the scenes guy. As team President one has to be in front of the camera and media some of the time, but I strongly feel that he is doing most and I dare say his best work behind the scenes. More importantly, I have to believe that Mr. Pegula feels the same way.

I honestly believe that real change will start once this season ends ... most likely yet another one without the cup.

Archived