Sekera (&Ellis) Re-Signed

That Aud Smell

It seems like a lot of money up front for Sekera at this point in his career, but the overall contract looks good when you consider that he gave up two years of UFA. I like the term - One and two year contracts may seem like the safe thing to do, but more short term deals result in more players demanding raises and/or walking away each year, leaving voids that must be filled by whoever happens to be available.

Andrej was outstanding at times last year, showing great skill, smooth skating, smart play, and some pretty big 'nads when it comes to moving the puck up the ice. Whether he stays or gets traded he's of value to the team. Every team is always looking for a "puck moving defenseman", and right now Buffalo has three good ones, four if you count Gragnani.

Front loaded, buys two UFA years

Many of his comparables were making around $3M. I think it's a pretty good deal considering the UFA years.

The bolded part is the key, IMHO. (That, and the hope he continues to improve steadily as opposed to falling off the table.)

Adding in Gragnani and Enroth at their qualifying offers puts them at around $62.8M, leaving about $1.47M in cap space.

Yup - which is what Darcy wants for breathing room. Which means they are done making moves unless NHL bodies with equal contracts are involved.

Pommers? Boyes? Jochen(i know its the playoffs but my ____ is broken)?

I wish I had that kind of coin to throw around.

Say what you will, but Pegula is sending a message about playing in Buffalo.

I'm betting it resonates with the players/agents here and around the league.

I wish I had that kind of coin to throw around.

Say what you will, but Pegula is sending a message about playing in Buffalo.

I'm betting it resonates with the players/agents here and around the league.

Agreed on all counts.

Interesting variety of contracts that Darcy has thrown around this offseason. Erhoff with the long deal and low cap hit for starters. Now Sekera with a front loaded deal with a 1st year number I'd have never imagined he'd get before UFA status. Very interesting offseason.

Morrisonn has to be fuming at home. He knows it's Rochester for him now. I wonder if he has much of any market value at all?

Interesting variety of contracts that Darcy has thrown around this offseason. Erhoff with the long deal and low cap hit for starters. Now Sekera with a front loaded deal with a 1st year number I'd have never imagined he'd get before UFA status. Very interesting offseason.

Morrisonn has to be fuming at home. He knows it's Rochester for him now. I wonder if he has much of any market value at all?

Didn't he ask to be traded?

Also, what if anything does this mean for Myers going into his contract year? Is he worth more now cuz of what they gave sekera or what is his value? I was hoping that this summer Myers might get signed or before january 1st. Theoretically the longer he plays the more value he has. I do not think he comes it to camp this year the way he was last year. (bigger but slower and unable to handle his new size) Myers is a priority and I am not worried but i was just curious to see if this contract to sekera raises myers worth? (5-6years 4mil-ish?)

Didn't he ask to be traded?

Yes, but Darcy won't give him away just because he wants to be gone. Who knows if any team is even interested?

Also, what if anything does this mean for Myers going into his contract year? Is he worth more now cuz of what they gave sekera or what is his value? I was hoping that this summer Myers might get signed or before january 1st. Theoretically the longer he plays the more value he has. I do not think he comes it to camp this year the way he was last year. (bigger but slower and unable to handle his new size) Myers is a priority and I am not worried but i was just curious to see if this contract to sekera raises myers worth? (5-6years 4mil-ish?)

There isn't much incentive to sign Myers early. He'll be restricted at the end of this contract so it's not like we are likely to lose him to an FA offer. Might as well get as many cheap years out of him as you can.

Yes, but Darcy won't give him away just because he wants to be gone. Who knows if any team is even interested?

There isn't much incentive to sign Myers early. He'll be restricted at the end of this contract so it's not like we are likely to lose him to an FA offer. Might as well get as many cheap years out of him as you can.

The benefit to signing Myers early is not getting stuck with a Vanek contract.

The benefit to signing Myers early is not getting stuck with a Vanek contract.

which is my thinking. The sooner the better. Hes not going to get worse unless he gets hurt. Myers even last year was better overall than the year before even though his stats say otherwise. Myers by the time the playoffs started was better than Myers 365 days earlier. Think Briere, if we sign him 280 days earlier than he doesnt leave for6mil+ because hes locked up for 5mil already. This is myers last "cheap" year. Hes a top 2 defender and next year instead of hearing about Doughty or Yandle or Weber being RFA's it will be about Myers if he goes unsigned. This year with Regehr as his most likely linemate, Myers will be better because he will have a better mentor and linemate. Offer sheets are Rare but the sabres have been the victim of them before.

It doesn't matter when he signs, the next contract won't take effect till next season, although I do expect both sides to see how the CBA debate is being framed before considering any serious offers.

Interesting indeed.

I agree that Morrisonn is probably PO'd, but I doubt this was a surprise to him.

I don't think the Sabres could get much for him beyond a bottom-round draft pick. I kinda expect the Sabres to keep him with the idea that he's a 1-year, $2MM insurance policy for a series of injuries to the D during a deep playoff run (that's right!).

Good question. I'm not sure this contract increases his price, but it certainly doesn't decrease it.

But extending him now doesn't reduce the # of cheap years you get out of him -- he's still on his existing contract through the end of this coming season. And if they give him a long-term deal now (say, 7-8 years), the pre-UFA years will (presumably) be "priced in" to the total contract amount -- ie it shouldn't be a contract that is equivalent to what he would get as a UFA.

sekera is not worth 2.75, period. Maybe in a couple of years but I am starting to become concerned about this groups willingness to overspend. Sure we hated galisano's cheap ways but the cap still will effect the sabres even if Tpegs can afford whatever he wants... Just worried that we will be the NYR thats all... Hopefully sekera will live up to his contract and at least it could become an amazing deal in the future kinda like Derek Roy's 4mil a year now. A lot of interesting questions will be answered this season.

The $2.75M may be a little on the high side, but he could have seen that # in arbitration for a 1 year contract. And if he does have a good year, then we are talking 3-4 years at $3M+ in next year's negotiation. I guess my point is for an offensive d-man, with 4 years in the NHL, 4 years on the contract, and he still has the potential to get better, this seems reasonable.

I think if this was a $2.25M, 4 year deal, there would be less people complaining. To me, it's worth paying the extra $500K to know what you are getting, especially when you already have 2 new guys on D.

The bolded part is the key, IMHO. (That, and the hope he continues to improve steadily as opposed to falling off the table.)

He'll be incredibly easy to move in two years if they need to. Any of the cheaper teams that needs to get to the floor will be all over that contract, a big cap hit but very low actual dollars.

First post here. I'm happy with the Sekera signing, paying that money was the only way Regier was gonna keep him from going to arbitration and forcing a trade. It's a lot, but Sekera fits well into the D joining the rush gameplan Lindy is trying to establish.

It's a nice position to be in, having too many NHL capable D going into camp. I think everyone agrees that Morrison will be moved, probably for a 3rd round pick. That will leave us with 7 D, with Graniani and Weber fighting for that sixth spot.

First post here. I'm happy with the Sekera signing, paying that money was the only way Regier was gonna keep him from going to arbitration and forcing a trade. It's a lot, but Sekera fits well into the D joining the rush gameplan Lindy is trying to establish.

It's a nice position to be in, having too many NHL capable D going into camp. I think everyone agrees that Morrison will be moved, probably for a 3rd round pick. That will leave us with 7 D, with Graniani and Weber fighting for that sixth spot.

He may have gotten the $2.75M in arbitration on a 1 yr deal anyway. This way they have him locked up for 4 years at that price, taking 2 of his UFA years.

Decent signing IMO. There were obvious consistancy issues but here's to hoping that he's finally comming around and will begin to show his talent on a more regular basis. With the Ehroff signing and trade for Regerh, Sekera is likely the third pairing guy which may take some pressure off of him. Without being too biased I think we have one of the most talented, deep, well rounded D core in the league. I think Miller is going to put up some good numbers. The only fear going into the season is our forwards. Is Lenio enough to take this team to the promise land? I think our goaltending and D can get the job done.

Darcy alluded to Lindy having more D options this year (both pairings and opponent matchups) and that he expects the increased flexibilty will mean a greater chance of success for Sekera, and the defense as a whole.

We now have an obvious top 3 (Myers, Regher, Erhoff) and Leopold and Weber are both capable of stepping into the #4 role. Sekera facing 3rd and 4th line talent should work in his favor, both offensively and defensively. Add MAG as a sub and I think the D unit looks improved on paper.

We may have only added two defensemen to the team but I think it is going to operate like a more complete overhaul now.

He'll be incredibly easy to move in two years if they need to. Any of the cheaper teams that needs to get to the floor will be all over that contract, a big cap hit but very low actual dollars.

Good call and I bet this factored into the Sabres' thinking when they put this together. Another Daddy-Warbucks-enabled move. Under TG/LQ, it's at least 50/50 that Reggie goes to arbitration and the Sabres walk away from the award.

Welcome to the board. As for Morrisonn, I think most agree that he won't be on the roster, but many (including me) think he'll be in Rochester. I don't think they could get a 3rd rounder for him.

Darcy alluded to Lindy having more D options this year (both pairings and opponent matchups) and that he expects the increased flexibilty will mean a greater chance of success for Sekera, and the defense as a whole.

We now have an obvious top 3 (Myers, Regher, Erhoff) and Leopold and Weber are both capable of stepping into the #4 role. Sekera facing 3rd and 4th line talent should work in his favor, both offensively and defensively. Add MAG as a sub and I think the D unit looks improved on paper.

We may have only added two defensemen to the team but I think it is going to operate like a more complete overhaul now.

Reggie is capable of stepping into the #4 slot too, but I agree 100% with the rest of this post. I would just add that I feel quite sure the D is improved not only on paper but on the ice, and by quite a bit.

Archived