Sekera (&Ellis) Re-Signed

That Aud Smell

Slovak-to-English translation courtesy of Google indicates that they have some serious issues with axes in Bratislava or wherever...

BUFFALO - Slovak ice hockey defenseman Andrej Sekera ultimately will not go to arbitration. With the leadership team the Buffalo Sabres today agreed to extend the contract, whose conditions were not disclosed.

Prievidza pupil had scheduled a hearing on Monday with an independent arbitrator in Toronto, who had axes and the employer to determine the amount of salary for next season. By that, however, 25-year old Slovak agreed on signing a multi-annual contract, to avoid the arbitration.

Axe last season earned 1.250 million dollars. In order to keep him at Buffalo law had to offer him a qualifying contract. Buffalo comply with this obligation, but ax the value of his salary did not agree, and thus exercised his right to the order of the arbitrator ruled gazi.

Andrej Sekera scored the most successful survivor of last season when in 76 matches racked up 29 points for 3 goals and 26 passes. Overall in the NHL, scored pushed 67-times, 12 times and scored 55-times as an assistant, all in 233 games played.

Except for waivers when and if he is called up/sent down. A team might be interested in him at half price. The multyear deal makes at less likely, though.

One-way/two-way is a pay thing only; it does not affect his waiver status. Since he played 86 NHL games over the previous two seasons, he does not qualify for waiver-exemption as a veteran minor league, so regardless of whether he is on a one-way or two-way contract, he will have to clear entry/re-entry waivers to move back and forth between the teams.

One-way/two-way is a pay thing only; it does not affect his waiver status. Since he played 86 NHL games over the previous two seasons, he does not qualify for waiver-exemption as a veteran minor league, so regardless of whether he is on a one-way or two-way contract, he will have to clear entry/re-entry waivers to move back and forth between the teams.

That's what I meant. Of course he will hopefully not be subject to the waiver process the following year. If he is playing that many games on the big club we are in serious trouble.

/can't find that whistling idly emoticon
Sekera and Matt Ellis resigned - no details yet.

No link as of yet - but posted by the sabres on facebook.

gadzooks - i posted my "hey, i wonder what's happening with shakira" bump within a half-hour 25 minutes of the news being posted on teh internets.

gadzooks - i posted my "hey, i wonder what's happening with shakira" bump within a half-hour 25 minutes of the news being posted on teh internets.

Ca-razy huh? I thought "Sekera. What's the date today" this morning.

We are in tune man. So who's gettin' traded?

That's what I meant. Of course he will hopefully not be subject to the waiver process the following year. If he is playing that many games on the big club we are in serious trouble.

a one way deal that pays him league min in rochester might actually stop other teams from picking him up on waivers.

Yeah, if he plays 40 games this season in the NHL, I'd be very surprised.

a one way deal that pays him league min in rochester might actually stop other teams from picking him up on waivers.

Good point.

Any predictions for Sekera? I'll say 3 years $7.5M

Wasn't he on a 2 way deal last year? I wouldn't think he did anything to earn a 1-way this year.

The multi-year part is new this year. So they definitely gave him more than they've been giving him in the past (even if it is just one extra year). But then again, I guess this was all answered by this:

Ellis gets a two way deal this year and a one way deal for 2012-13.

I didn't realize they could do something like that. You learn something new every day.

A team can't just claim a guy and immediately stash him in their own minor league club though. If they wanted to do that, Buffalo would be able to claim him back.

The multi-year part is new this year. So they definitely gave him more than they've been giving him in the past (even if it is just one extra year). But then again, I guess this was all answered by this:

I didn't realize they could do something like that. You learn something new every day.

A team can't just claim a guy and immediately stash him in their own minor league club though. If they wanted to do that, Buffalo would be able to claim him back.

I was combining that with the multiyearedness of the deal.

StepnerWKBW Shawn Stepner

#Buffalo #Sabres Defenseman Andrej Sekera contract details: 4-year deal worth $11 million ($4,750,000 signing bonus by July 2012)

I'm incredibly pleased that he's signed, but if he gets 2.5 a year, I'll eat my hat. He hasn't done enough to earn that much yet and that's a big cap hit when you consider how up against it we already are.

Hope you're hungry

StepnerWKBW Shawn Stepner

#Buffalo #Sabres Defenseman Andrej Sekera contract details: 4-year deal worth $11 million ($4,750,000 signing bonus by July 2012)

Wow. $2.75MM per year (although not yet on Capgeek, FWIW). Let's hope it looks like a bargain this time next year!

Wow. $2.75MM per year (although not yet on Capgeek, FWIW). Let's hope it looks like a bargain this time next year!

I was excited about this team being willing to spend money, but not so excited to see stupid money being spent. Why tie up Sekera for 4 years at that kind of money? Can anyone say he has earned that contract?

Front loaded, buys two UFA years

gregorybauch

Sekera deal is a 4-year pact worth 11 million dollars. 2011-12 $4.25 Million 2012-13 $3.25 Million and 1.75 in each of the final 2 years.

I was excited about this team being willing to spend money, but not so excited to see stupid money being spent. Why tie up Sekera for 4 years at that kind of money? Can anyone say he has earned that contract?

Many of his comparables were making around $3M. I think it's a pretty good deal considering the UFA years.

sekera is not worth 2.75, period. Maybe in a couple of years but I am starting to become concerned about this groups willingness to overspend. Sure we hated galisano's cheap ways but the cap still will effect the sabres even if Tpegs can afford whatever he wants... Just worried that we will be the NYR thats all... Hopefully sekera will live up to his contract and at least it could become an amazing deal in the future kinda like Derek Roy's 4mil a year now. A lot of interesting questions will be answered this season.

So, excluding Kotalik and Morrisonn, we're at $61.6M in cap for 12F/6D/1G. In actual cash, it's over $70M plus $5M for burying those two in Rochester.

Adding in Gragnani and Enroth at their qualifying offers puts them at around $62.8M, leaving about $1.47M in cap space.

Archived