Sekera (&Ellis) Re-Signed

That Aud Smell

per hoppe, darcy sounds confident that not overly concerned about a deal getting done.

Regier on AndrejSekera: "There’s a basis for a getting a contract done, so I’m not overly concerned about the arbitration process.

https://twitter.com/#!/BillHoppeSabres/status/89392414250369024

• 2 weeks later...

Sekera will improve with more ice time. If you can get a multiyear for Sekera at 3 or slightly under 3, it's a good deal for his skill set.

Well said. Again the naysayers of Buffalo dog anyone who makes a mistake. This guy is young still and it takes more time to develope as a defensemen in the NHL.

Sekera and Ellis each sign multi-year contracts.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569666&navid=DL|BUF|home

I, for one, couldn't be happier about signing Sekera. I love watching him skate and I think he has the potential to be a very solid D-man.

Ahem.

Sekera and Matt Ellis resigned - no details yet.

No link as of yet - but posted by the sabres on facebook.

Here's the link:

Details released so far: both are multi-year. I can only imagine Ellis' is two way.

Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier today announced that defenseman Andrej Sekera and forward Matt Ellis have each agreed to multi-year contracts.

Sekera (6'0", 201 lbs., 6/8/1986) appeared in 76 games for the Sabres last season, recording career highs in both assists (26) and points (29). In two playoff games, Sekera added one goal and four penalty minutes.

The Bojnice, Slovakia native has 67 points (12+55) in 233 career games. Sekera was Buffalo’s third-round pick (71st overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Ellis (6'0", 212 lbs., 8/31/1981) appeared in 52 games last season as captain of the Portland Pirates (AHL), totaling 31 points (10+21). He was held scoreless in 14 games during four recalls to Buffalo in 2010-11. Ellis has amassed 33 points (13+20) in 201 career NHL games, including 25 (10+15) in 131 games with the Sabres.

Matt Ellis

A native of Welland, Ont., Ellis joined Buffalo on Oct. 1, 2008 when he was claimed off waivers from Los Angeles. He was originally signed as undrafted free agent by Detroit on May 10, 2002 after playing junior hockey with the St. Michael’s Majors.

Sorry. Just thought it deserved its own thread with a source and the information that Ellis got signed as well. Cleaner and easier to follow than threadjacking the Sekera/arb thread.

I wouldn't mess with him, korab. You're likely to end up head-first into a kettledrum.

Actually, stuff like this would normally go in a collective thread like free agent frenzy, but there doesn't seem to be one for lower level re-signings like these, which is why I used the thread in which Sekera was already being discussed. I wouldn't call it a hijack, especially since the arb portion of the thread is now moot.

I wouldn't mess with him, korab. You're likely to end up head-first into a kettledrum.

I knew a girl like that once...

Still trying to decipher that username. It makes my head hurt worse than drinking cane liquor.

quick sand monster? what the hell does that mean? I hate getting old.

I knew a girl like that once...

Still trying to decipher that username. It makes my head hurt worse than drinking can liquor.

quick sand monster? what the hell does that mean? I hate getting old.

Yeah just a username i got into a habit of using. Doesn't mean anything. Just kinda fun to say and easy for me to remember.

ON TOPIC: I would hope that Sekera isn't making anything North of 2 mil/year. It's possible that they did give him more than that, but I would expect them to try another trade if they did.

I don't remember when Reggie is eligible for UFA, but I'd guess this deal extends at least one year past that point.

I'd also guess his average salary is about $1.8MM per year.

And I wholeheartedly support the merging of these threads.

I doubt Ellis got a one-way deal, since there simply isn't a place for him on the NHL roster unless it's to sit in the pressbox as a 13th forward. However, as I pointed out earlier in the Enroth thread, if Pegula wants to pay the $ for a player in Rochester, then one-way deal has no other effect on his status.

I doubt Ellis got a one-way deal, since there simply isn't a place for him on the NHL roster unless it's to sit in the pressbox as a 13th forward. However, as I pointed out earlier in the Enroth thread, if Pegula wants to pay the $ for a player in Rochester, then one-way deal has no other effect on his status.

Except for waivers when and if he is called up/sent down. A team might be interested in him at half price. The multyear deal makes at less likely, though.

Archived