Sekera (&Ellis) Re-Signed

That Aud Smell

First: Trading Mike Weber is the worst Idea I have heard. Lets trade the only guy who sticks up for miller and makes forwards think twice about starting sh*t... no

Second: Sekera a good offensive defensman according to 90% of this board + Pommers a first line 65pt a year or more rw with a great 2way game and a pick gets you way more than a 3rd line center, that would get you dubinsky... good god why does no one value players the way they should unless they like them... I hate Shakira but guess what a lot of teams would love his puck moving skills... really? a 1st line winger and a pick and a top 4 defender only gets you a 3rd line center? bull.

It's not the talent so much as the pricetag on Pominville ... $15.9 million owed over the next three seasons. Also the fact that the Sabres are going to contend, so any pick is not going to be a great one.

It's not the talent so much as the pricetag on Pominville ... $15.9 million owed over the next three seasons. Also the fact that the Sabres are going to contend, so any pick is not going to be a great one.

we have 2 seconds though so that helps and I bet a team like the NYR would love sekera, pommers and a 2nd for dubinsky when they can put Pommers on a line with anisimov an help instantly improve that lines defensive side. Just saying that a lot of teams would give more for pommers alone then a 3rd line center... lets just be fair.

and to be fair, you are right that pommers 15.9mil over the next 3 years makes a lot of teams not want to touch that contract but some teams wouldnt mind it and others could need it for cap floor reasons. its probably 10 teams wouldnt take him, 12 teams might and 7 teams need a contract like that.

I hope this ends up as a sign and trade type of deal for Sekera. Buffalo has major concerns at center, and I'm sure if they offered Sekera, Pominville or Boyes and a decent draft pick they could pick up a very good center. Buffalo just has a major log jam in the defense department. Not happy w/ the amount of money being given to Sekera.

I've got four words for you -- Eastern Conference Finals 2006. I'll take a log jam in the defense department ANY day.

we have 2 seconds though so that helps and I bet a team like the NYR would love sekera, pommers and a 2nd for dubinsky when they can put Pommers on a line with anisimov an help instantly improve that lines defensive side. Just saying that a lot of teams would give more for pommers alone then a 3rd line center... lets just be fair.

and to be fair, you are right that pommers 15.9mil over the next 3 years makes a lot of teams not want to touch that contract but some teams wouldnt mind it and others could need it for cap floor reasons. its probably 10 teams wouldnt take him, 12 teams might and 7 teams need a contract like that.

But how many of those 19 teams have something the Sabres actually want in return?

And the Rangers don't really have room to take on $8 million in cap space from the Sabres unless they plan on somehow signing Callahan without giving him a raise. Very unlikely.

I'm talking about someone going to HSBC today with a check in hand for more than their entire lifetime of earnings.....when maybe cash-happy activities off the ice could be a problem. That's all.

WTF are you talking about? Sekera (and anyone else) can do whatever they like with *their* money. If he wants to burn it in a giant pile while midget hookers jump over the fire, that's his business.

WTF are you talking about? Sekera (and anyone else) can do whatever they like with *their* money. If he wants to burn it in a giant pile while midget hookers jump over the fire, that's his business.

I think he's pointing out that Sekera suddenly has way more money than he ever did before and that that can change people, not just in sports but in all walks of life. I wonder about it every time a guy gets his first big contract.

Hell, if you doubled my pay tomorrow (which isn't nearly a hockey contract), I'd have a completely different life and it would change me. You never know how things will go.

You missed the part where he says Shakira is the new Connolly - where as before it was talk of liver damage, implying alcohol, he is now mentioning expensive habits, which means drinking scotch with some of the people on this board or (the more likely implication of) drugs.

You missed the part where he says Shakira is the new Connolly - where as before it was talk of liver damage, implying alcohol, he is now mentioning expensive habits, which means drinking scotch with some of the people on this board or (the more likely implication of) drugs.

I have a hard time reading your posts..mainly because of that avatar of yours.. :blink:

Don't be surprised if Sekera is moved.

Sekera's contract sets up very nicely for trade deadline.

3 of the 11 million will be paid off by the 2012 trade deadline, meaning Sekera will have 3.25 years @ 8 million left. Which will be an easily moveable balance for a puck-mover who can play 25 minutes a night. Provided Sekera plays solid hockey....that's a nice piece to spin to nab a bigger fish at the trade deadline. And based on prospects in Rochester, odds are you can replace him without a huge falloff.

Interesting.

I've seen Sekera cough up the puck along the boards in his own zone more often than any Sabre in recent memory.

I think Monty, Butler and Leopold each coughed it up more than Reggie did last year -- and, I hate to say it, but Myers in the first half of the season did too.

First: Trading Mike Weber is the worst Idea I have heard. Lets trade the only guy who sticks up for miller and makes forwards think twice about starting sh*t... no

Second: Sekera a good offensive defensman according to 90% of this board + Pommers a first line 65pt a year or more rw with a great 2way game and a pick gets you way more than a 3rd line center, that would get you dubinsky... good god why does no one value players the way they should unless they like them... I hate Shakira but guess what a lot of teams would love his puck moving skills... really? a 1st line winger and a pick and a top 4 defender only gets you a 3rd line center? bull.

I agree on Weber, but the rest of this post is nonsense. There is NFW the Rangers would take that package (or any package including Pommer) for Dubinsky, and there is NFW any team would give the Sabres a center in Dubinsky's class for that package.

I dont care about Sekera, he is worthless. What does this mean for Gragnani? Will he get screwed out of a roster spot again?

Gragnani showed well at the end of last season. He is a asset to this franchise that has some value. Sekera at this point is also an asset and brings more value. Sekera's contract is a little high, overall it is one of the better value contracts the Sabres have signed this off-season. As was pointed earlier in the thread, if he continues to improve the Sabres have a steal. If at some point Sekera's development stalls, his price point is not prohibited. He has enough talent and has shown enough that at this new price he is still probably one of the easiest players to move if the Sabres decide to move on and they will still get a decent return.

Gragnani showed well at the end of last season. He is a asset to this franchise that has some value. Sekera at this point is also an asset and brings more value. Sekera's contract is a little high, overall it is one of the better value contracts the Sabres have signed this off-season. As was pointed earlier in the thread, if he continues to improve the Sabres have a steal. If at some point Sekera's development stalls, his price point is not prohibited. He has enough talent and has shown enough that at this new price he is still probably one of the easiest players to move if the Sabres decide to move on and they will still get a decent return.

This entire statement is about as dead on as possible. :thumbsup:

Did Deluca get a strawberry field enema over the weekend? Nice accurate summary.

I was excited about this team being willing to spend money, but not so excited to see stupid money being spent. Why tie up Sekera for 4 years at that kind of money? Can anyone say he has earned that contract?

Only one group needs to say it. Colorado :P

omfg all the sabres forwards have no value! Roy isnt worth anything, pommers isnt, ennis isnt, every one else isnt!!!!!!! BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS. If you cant get a 2nd line center for a 1st shakira and pommers than - this post to -50, that means Korab and Shrader will have to create a few extra accounts.... unfreakingbelievalbe that no one on the sabres is worth anything anyone else has... just MIND BOGGLING!

omfg all the sabres forwards have no value! Roy isnt worth anything, pommers isnt, ennis isnt, every one else isnt!!!!!!! BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS. If you cant get a 2nd line center for a 1st shakira and pommers than - this post to -50, that means Korab and Shrader will have to create a few extra accounts.... unfreakingbelievalbe that no one on the sabres is worth anything anyone else has... just MIND BOGGLING!

Well... to be honest, Roy and Ennis have alot of worth. You have to remember, most teams won't spend to the cap because of internal budgets. Contracts like Pommers don't move because of cap issues, internal and NHL caps.

Oh and, why the hyperbole all the freaking time? Noone said those players are worthless, they said those players won't move. Huge. Freaking. Difference.

And BTW, ease up on the caffiene dude. It'll do bad things to your ticker.

I can't respect this at all.

I really could care less, he has shown almost nothing in my eyes. He matches 3 games streaks of great play with 5 game slumps of worthlessness. That isn't "potential" or "progression. Im tired of hearing about this said "potential" with Sekera and i cannot possibly fathom the prospect of him having a roster spot over Gragnani.

Well, I wasn't minusing your posts before, but...what did Chris Rock say about OJ? "I'm not saying I agree with it -- but I understand."

Do you realize that most of the people you are trying to communicate with are over 30?

You do post some very good stuff from time to time to make your posts worth reading, and then, c'mon man...

Archived