Sekera (&Ellis) Re-Signed

That Aud Smell

I really could care less, he has shown almost nothing in my eyes. He matches 3 games streaks of great play with 5 game slumps of worthlessness. That isn't "potential" or "progression. Im tired of hearing about this said "potential" with Sekera and i cannot possibly fathom the prospect of him having a roster spot over Gragnani.

Isn't all we have to go off of from Gragnani "potential?" Potential that has been developing over the same time period in the AHL while Sekera was taking his lumps in the NHL.

Back to the OP. Both of these contracts are great. Sekera will follow one of the following 3 paths:

1.) he will develop into a defender whose value exceeds the 2.75M cap hit and the sabres will reap the benefits.

2.) he will develop into a defender in line with his cap hit +/- $250K and the sabres will either need him and use him, or easily be able to unload the contract after July first of next year. The sabres will benefit from the trade.

3.) he will not develop and will be placed on waivers to rochester and either collect his pegula money or bolt to Czech League/Swedish League/KHL. The sabres will not be harmed by the contract.

The Ellis contract is even more brilliant. His $105K salary for this season means he can be recalled without having to clear reentry waivers and the one-way nature of the second year means he is unlikely to need to be picked up by a team needing an extra forward on the way back down. He'll probably play less than 40 games this year, so he will not need to clear re-entry waivers next year, despite having an AHL salary over $105k. Brilliant contract by Darcy.

Isn't all we have to go off of from Gragnani "potential?" Potential that has been developing over the same time period in the AHL while Sekera was taking his lumps in the NHL.

He's actualized some of that potential already. Proof of it in the playoffs.

He's got terrific vision and timing.

Like Sekera, he's also played at forward. Which gives the team

some flexibility for dressing 7 d-men, and keeping all of them fresh.

Sekera has also actualized some of his potential as well, over a longer stretch of time despite being only a year older. Point being that it doesn't make any sense to be tired of hearing about potential with Sekera when Gragnani is the replacement.

I really could care less, he has shown almost nothing in my eyes. He matches 3 games streaks of great play with 5 game slumps of worthlessness. That isn't "potential" or "progression. Im tired of hearing about this said "potential" with Sekera and i cannot possibly fathom the prospect of him having a roster spot over Gragnani.

Ah, Gragani, the veteran NHLer? We have about 7-10 games to go off with Grag, which is nothing at all. Sekera has been developing, had a good season last year and knows we expect more. Grag still has a HUGE amount to prove.

btw, you could care less or couldn't care less? Sorry that really bugs me.

Sekera has also actualized some of his potential as well, over a longer stretch of time despite being only a year older. Point being that it doesn't make any sense to be tired of hearing about potential with Sekera when Gragnani is the replacement.

Defensemen take time. There will be mistakes.

Even vets might have 29 great shifts out of 30, while a young Dman may have 28 out of 30.

That's a huge difference over the course of a season.

That's pretty much what happened to Brian Campbell when his value skyrocketed, he got rid of that one extra mistake per game - but in many senses, he was the same player.

We've seen it a million times before though where a guy starts out so well but then never lives up to that status again. Grags was great in the playoffs this year, but he was as much of an unknown commodity as Enroth was this past year. Teams are going to figure him out once he puts in more time at the NHL level. So the next step for him is consistency at this level.

The fact that he did it in the playoffs is obviously a huge positive in his potential column, but it's still exactly that, potential.

We've seen it a million times before though where a guy starts out so well but then never lives up to that status again. Grags was great in the playoffs this year, but he was as much of an unknown commodity as Enroth was this past year. Teams are going to figure him out once he puts in more time at the NHL level. So the next step for him is consistency at this level.

The fact that he did it in the playoffs is obviously a huge positive in his potential column, but it's still exactly that, potential.

He's a perfect 7th dman, there are bound to be injuries and he's bound to see a fair old amount of time. Not a Sekera replacement yet, as has been said before lol.

I thought Gragnani looked great QBing the powerplay for Team Canada @ the Worlds.

Not QBing here, but a nice goal......If Buffalo doesn't at least experiment with the umbrella set, I'll be disappointed. I expect Erhoff to be setting up a lot from where Gragnani scored.

*cough* Butler *cough*

I agree with all this and I also think he (Gragnani) is also the best passer out of all of the defensemen.

*cough* Butler *cough*

I agree with the concept that Butler looked promising early in his career, but he never showed nearly the amount of offensive game that Gragnani showed last year.

I bet Butler finishes with top-4 minutes in Calgary.

He's young yet too....he always seemed caught between whether or if to commit the body.

He has to make that decision quicker.

He'll benefit from the ice time.

I agree that he's young, but I don't think physical play is in Butler's nature. I think his instinct is to be more of a positional defender, which is fine, but that type of game requires high-quality and consistent decision-making. His wasn't consistent enough. I could see it getting better with more minutes in Calgary, but I could also see him never quite getting there.

Just for comparison with Sekera.....

Josh Gorges signs one year contract in Montreal for 2.5 M.

NHL totals 364 gp 9g 50a 59pts 183pim

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372302

Maybe Shaeiyeoane Morrison is movable after all at 2.0 M.

There are still teams trying to reach the salary floor, too--even with 23 players signed.

Archived