Sekera (&Ellis) Re-Signed

That Aud Smell

My guess is he becomes untradeable at $3M. Overpriced would be anything north of $2.5M. I imagine he signs a deal in the $2.25M range before arbitration if the team trades for a center without him in the package going out. If no move is made, I imagine he goes to arbitration to protect himself, gets someting between $2.75M and $3.25M for a 1 year deal and the team makes the call to accept or walk based on it's cap situation. He had a career year in assists and TOI, so I expect the award to be large.

He's un-tradeable if it goes as far as Arby.

He's not untradeable at $3M at all IMO. The puck-moving D man is needed in many places.

Kaberle just signed a 3x 4 mil deal Carolina.

Given a good half year of performance and his age and skill set, his value could sky.

He's un-tradeable if it goes as far as Arby.

He's not untradeable at $3M at all IMO. The puck-moving D man is needed in many places.

Kaberle just signed a 3x 4 mil deal Carolina.

Given a good half year of performance and his age and skill set, his value could sky.

Yes, I think he becomes not tradeable in august with a cap hit of $3M, most teams will have their rosters set by then. But Mid season and at the deadline. He definately would still be an asset, even at $3M.

Yes, I think he becomes not tradeable in august with a cap hit of $3M, most teams will have their rosters set by then. But Mid season and at the deadline. He definately would still be an asset, even at $3M.

I think if you look at Montador's contract in Chicago....4 years 11 M total.

Sekera is probably looking for comparable numbers.

I think if you look at Montador's contract in Chicago....4 years 11 M total.

Sekera is probably looking for comparable numbers.

interesting.

we should have a pool (poll?) on what happens.

i'll call $7.25M total over 3 years.

This was my thought right off the bat. He doesn't want to get traded. He knew he was the odd man out after the Ehrhoff signing, so this gives him some measure of control over the situation. He could hold out till the day before his hearing next month and sign whatever contract is on the table, thus protecting himself during the next few weeks of trading. If he get's to arbitration, the award will be well over $1,042,173, so the sabres can just walk away if they don't like it, and he gets to be an UFA, He'll make a lot less money than the arbitration award, but he gets to pick where to play. If the sabres accept the arbitration award it will very likely be an untradable overpriced contract. This decision is all about giving himself control about where he plays, not so much about how much he gets paid to do so.

It comes down to Sekera and Gragnani for the 5/6 pairing with Weber, but I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion that Gragnani has it nailed down just yet. Ideally, we could go into the season with them battling it out with the competition drawing the better player to the surface. If Reggie were our 7th D and Morrisonn was in Rochester I'd feel comfortable with our veteran depth come playoff time, something that more or less bit us again in the 2011 playoffs. Right now, Sekera is the more tradeable asset because he's better known--- a big arbitration award could force Darcy's hand, but I'd prefer the depth. This is (potentially) the first hiccup of the offseason.

It comes down to Sekera and Gragnani for the 5/6 pairing with Weber, but I wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion that Gragnani has it nailed down just yet. Ideally, we could go into the season with them battling it out with the competition drawing the better player to the surface. If Reggie were our 7th D and Morrisonn was in Rochester I'd feel comfortable with our veteran depth come playoff time, something that more or less bit us again in the 2011 playoffs. Right now, Sekera is the more tradeable asset because he's better known--- a big arbitration award could force Darcy's hand, but I'd prefer the depth. This is (potentially) the first hiccup of the offseason.

Yes, I want to keep them all. I like the roster as is, with Morrison and Ales in Rochester. Shoane could be called up in the playoffs if necessary as an emergency call-up without having to clear waivers or impacting the cap. 8 NHL worthy defnsemen is about what you need in the playoffs these days. and there we would have it.

Nope.

They do have to clear waivers though.

Shouldn't be a problem on the way down. But the 1/2 priced reentry waivers would be risky. But that risk goes away with an emergency call up, which is the only situation I could see the need arising.

Shouldn't be a problem on the way down. But the 1/2 priced reentry waivers would be risky. But that risk goes away with an emergency call up, which is the only situation I could see the need arising.

It isn't a great risk either way. If Morrison gets sent to Rochester he either stays, or I suspect gets traded when a team has an injury or a need.

Hopefully the team can get a pick for him.

the blue black and gold blog offers the following comparables:

Sekera - $1.25M 10/11 season - 3/23/26 ("play fluctuated wildly between dominant and head-shakingly bad")

Anton Stralman (Columbus) - $1.95M 10/11 season - 6/28/34

Anton Babchuk (Calgary) - $2.5M 11/12 season - 8/19/27

Alexander Edler (Vancouver) - $3.25 11/12 season - 8/24/32

the blue black and gold blog offers the following comparables:

Sekera - $1.25M 10/11 season - 3/23/26 ("play fluctuated wildly between dominant and head-shakingly bad")

Anton Stralman (Columbus) - $1.95M 10/11 season - 6/28/34

Anton Babchuk (Calgary) - $2.5M 11/12 season - 8/19/27

Alexander Edler (Vancouver) - $3.25 11/12 season - 8/24/32

Can I just mention the fact that I love Anton Stralman for the simple fact that RH dman that can play the PP are so few and far between. Oh, and cuz he's a Swede.

Sekera is worth 2.25 tops. If in arbitration he gets 3 like some have suggested i would walk away. Hes extremely inconsistent, has mental lapses in his own zone, is about as physical as a angry twinkie, and hes done absolutely nothing outside of a span of games last year where he earned 12 pts in 4 games. Subtract that from his 29pts and you get 17pts meaning almost half his total game in a very short amount of time. 3mil for Sekera is scary.

Sekera is worth 2.25 tops. If in arbitration he gets 3 like some have suggested i would walk away. Hes extremely inconsistent, has mental lapses in his own zone, is about as physical as a angry twinkie, and hes done absolutely nothing outside of a span of games last year where he earned 12 pts in 4 games. Subtract that from his 29pts and you get 17pts meaning almost half his total game in a very short amount of time. 3mil for Sekera is scary.

Case for Sekera

Best skating defenseman on the team.

+11

Most of his mistakes are in the neutral zone, he's so fast he recovers. And his recovery speed is such that he rarely takes penalties, only 12 minors last season for 24 min PIM.

20 even strength assists is nothing to sneeze at. Third on the team...17th in the league for defensemen.

He can be dominant at times. Sure he's frustrating, but the upside on Sekera is undeniable.

He's still getting better.

I would rather play against John Micheal Liles (4.2 million).

Sekera will improve with more ice time. If you can get a multiyear for Sekera at 3 or slightly under 3, it's a good deal for his skill set.

I don't know that I'd walk away at $3M. as X pointed out, he's still a tradeable asset at the deadline, even at $3M. The only reason I'd walk away is if the contract was going to hamstring us like NJ was early last year.

I don't know that I'd walk away at $3M. as X pointed out, he's still a tradeable asset at the deadline, even at $3M. The only reason I'd walk away is if the contract was going to hamstring us like NJ was early last year.

I think if Gragnani & Enroth come in at only their qualifying offer they could probably afford Sekera at $3M. It'd probably be a little tighter to the cap than they'd want, but they could make it work.

Enroth's cap hit was $866,666 last year, does anyone know if that included a bonus? Or was that his base salary?

also a good point. i'm sensing that i was light in calling for a deal of $7M/3 yrs. reading this thread's most recent content, seems like maybe $8M/3 yrs. is more likely.

Enroth's cap hit was $866,666 last year, does anyone know if that included a bonus? Or was that his base salary?

per capgeek:

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=406

Contract History

SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS CAP HIT

2008-09 $62,500 $585,000 $265,000 $85,000 $866,667

2009-10 $62,500 $635,000 $215,000 $85,000 $866,667

2010-11 $62,500 $685,000 $215,000 $85,000 $866,667

but

http://www.capgeek.com/archive/team.php?team_id=8&year_id=2010

Full LTIR Reentry SOIR Cap Hit Cap Cost Bonuses

Enroth, Jhonas » 52 0 0 0 $866,667 $242,294 $215,000

Cap Cost — estimated cost to team's cap (excludes bonuses) based on days on roster

Thanks, so Enroth's NHL salary was $685K last season. Is the qualifying offer increase based on this? Or the cap hit?

cap geek says that the QO excludes bonuses.

http://www.capgeek.com/qualifying_offer_calculator.php?player_id=406

Qualifying Offer Calculator

Jhonas Enroth's qualifying offer is for $660,000.

Because his base salary of $600,000 — total salary of $685,000 minus signing bonus of $85,000 — is less than or equal to $660,000, it is increased by 10 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer.

Archived