Sekera (&Ellis) Re-Signed

That Aud Smell

So, it's only a negotiating tactic to lengthen the deal over the next 2 hours? I'm guessing Weber's raise got Reggie's attention.

What do you mean? The hearing won't be for awhile. If the player isn't going to accept the QO this was the only play they had to be able to continue negotiating.

Hmmm. Methinks we might be better off if we walk away from any award he's given and he becomes a UFA.

Why would they do that? Obviously if he is awarded some ridiculous amount you walk away, but they can probably afford up to $2.5M to retain him depending on what Gragnani & Enroth sign at.

So, it's only a negotiating tactic to lengthen the deal over the next 2 hours? I'm guessing Weber's raise got Reggie's attention.

I doubt it. Sekera was making more this past season than what Weber re-signed for with Buffalo. His Qualifying Offer was 10% more than what he made last year. So, even if he accepted his QO, he's making more than what Weber re-signed for.

I suspect he's looking for something in the $1.5-$2 million/year. Anything above $2.5 million they might have to walkaway from. Or, they might keep him and trade him. I think Sekera could actually fetch some decent value on the trade market, but no the Sabres will not acquire Stamkos by trading Sekera.

What do you mean? The hearing won't be for awhile. If the player isn't going to accept the QO this was the only play they had to be able to continue negotiating.

Due to the fact he had until 5pm to declare for abitration I wasn't certain they'd be able to continue negotiating past that point, that's all.

I doubt it. Sekera was making more this past season than what Weber re-signed for with Buffalo. His Qualifying Offer was 10% more than what he made last year. So, even if he accepted his QO, he's making more than what Weber re-signed for.

I suspect he's looking for something in the $1.5-$2 million/year. Anything above $2.5 million they might have to walkaway from. Or, they might keep him and trade him. I think Sekera could actually fetch some decent value on the trade market, but no the Sabres will not acquire Stamkos by trading Sekera.

Weber's raise was more than the standard 10% bump--- it jumped from $550,000 to $900,000, plus a $100,000 signing bonus.

Weber's raise was more than the standard 10% bump--- it jumped from $550,000 to $900,000, plus a $100,000 signing bonus.

Understood, however considering Weber was making basically the league minimum and given his strong year, his percentage increase is going to be a lot more substantial. It's the law of small numbers, the percentage increases are bigger with small numbers. I wouldn't expect Sekera to get a 63% raise on his salary for this year. I would expect that Sekera comes out of negotiations with a raise to about $1.75 million/year, which is a decent 40% raise.

If he gets a 63% raise, he becomes a bit more than a $2 million player, which in my mind is a bit rich for him and he's looking at getting traded. By no means do I think he isn't worth it, but the Sabres are up against the cap and with Ehrhoff coming in and Gragnani's development at $2 million, I think Sekera becomes trade bait, and he can fetch some good value in the trade market.

Hmmm. Methinks we might be better off if we walk away from any award he's given and he becomes a UFA.

Are you crazy? Unless it's an outlandish amount, the Sabres need to sign this guy. He's a top 6 defenseman with potential to be a top 4. He just broke out last season and things look good in the future. At worst they can use him as trade bait but I'd rather see others go before Sekera.

Are you crazy? Unless it's an outlandish amount, the Sabres need to sign this guy. He's a top 6 defenseman with potential to be a top 4. He just broke out last season and things look good in the future. At worst they can use him as trade bait but I'd rather see others go before Sekera.

I'd have to agree with you on this one. The only thing I have a problem with is that he takes a lot of offensive risks. If he's paired up with Weber though I think it works out. He has a lot of potential (I know, that word has been thrown around lately, but it's true).

Worst comes to worst, we package him to someone who is low on defense-men and get something in return...

the guy has had his struggles, and has shown flashes of brilliance -- in between times, there's been a lot of good to very good play.

i hope we can figure out a way to keep him and continue to nurture his development. i'm a sucker for a fast set of wheels.

I'd have to agree with you on this one. The only thing I have a problem with is that he takes a lot of offensive risks. If he's paired up with Weber though I think it works out. He has a lot of potential (I know, that word has been thrown around lately, but it's true).

Worst comes to worst, we package him to someone who is low on defense-men and get something in return...

Don't worry. We should have a DeLuca67 sighting on this thread before the end of the day.

Understood, however considering Weber was making basically the league minimum and given his strong year, his percentage increase is going to be a lot more substantial. It's the law of small numbers, the percentage increases are bigger with small numbers. I wouldn't expect Sekera to get a 63% raise on his salary for this year. I would expect that Sekera comes out of negotiations with a raise to about $1.75 million/year, which is a decent 40% raise.

If he gets a 63% raise, he becomes a bit more than a $2 million player, which in my mind is a bit rich for him and he's looking at getting traded. By no means do I think he isn't worth it, but the Sabres are up against the cap and with Ehrhoff coming in and Gragnani's development at $2 million, I think Sekera becomes trade bait, and he can fetch some good value in the trade market.

I'm sure Sekera's agent isn't using your logic, sound as it may be--- and it is--- in negotiations. The league arbiter may or may not if and when it gets that far. I'm just saying the contracts/raises being handed out by Pegula (and accompanying media critiques of "overspending") aren't happening in a vacuum and are certainly putting dollar-sign-shaped ideas into the heads of agents and players alike trying to squeeze out every last nickel.

the guy has had his struggles, and has shown flashes of brilliance -- in between times, there's been a lot of good to very good play.

i hope we can figure out a way to keep him and continue to nurture his development. i'm a sucker for a fast set of wheels.

This will be his 5th year with the Sabres. I like him but com'on, nurture his development? It always better to have too many players looking for a roster spot come September. We need him signed and at camp.

I liked Sekera while he was inexpensive. If he's going to end up earning somewhere near $2M then I think it may be time to move him on. It's not like we need another defenseman. And there is more youth in the pipeline too. Sure, I'd prefer to see someone like Morrisson go but Shaone's certainly worhty of a #6/7 slot on the team. And Sekera probably has more trade value than Morrisson. I'm thinking that the time to move him is now, before an arbitrators' decision makes him more difficult to move.

Myers Regehr

Erhoff Leopold

Weber Gragnani

Morrisson

Nothing wrong at all with that group of defenders. Sekera may have forced Buffalo's hand as far as moving him. And given what our D looks like now I'm OK with it.

I'm sure Sekera's agent isn't using your logic, sound as it may be--- and it is--- in negotiations. The league arbiter may or may not if and when it gets that far. I'm just saying the contracts/raises being handed out by Pegula (and accompanying media critiques of "overspending") aren't happening in a vacuum and are certainly putting dollar-sign-shaped ideas into the heads of agents and players alike trying to squeeze out every last nickel.

We only have 7.1 million nickels left! :blink:

This will be his 5th year with the Sabres. I like him but com'on, nurture his development?

it is appropriate to use the term "development" when speaking of a puck-moving defenseman who is in his 5th year with the team. see brian campbell.

If he's going to end up earning somewhere near $2M then I think it may be time to move him on.

ooof.

that's fair.

the reasons that i want the guy on the team are really sort of fanboy-ish -- the guy can skate like no one else on the team.

I liked Sekera while he was inexpensive. If he's going to end up earning somewhere near $2M then I think it may be time to move him on. It's not like we need another defenseman. And there is more youth in the pipeline too. Sure, I'd prefer to see someone like Morrisson go but Shaone's certainly worhty of a #6/7 slot on the team. And Sekera probably has more trade value than Morrisson. I'm thinking that the time to move him is now, before an arbitrators' decision makes him more difficult to move.

Myers Regehr

Erhoff Leopold

Weber Gragnani

Morrisson

Nothing wrong at all with that group of defenders. Sekera may have forced Buffalo's hand as far as moving him. And given what our D looks like now I'm OK with it.

Morrisson doesn't want to be here..... I'm very high on Sekera's potential. I think he can be a solid #2 or #3. If he is going to be moved, it's got to be in a deal for a center.

If he gets under 3 mil per, it's a good deal for us considering comparable players.

it is appropriate to use the term "development" when speaking of a puck-moving defenseman who is in his 5th year with the team. see brian campbell.

Then give him the money that Campbell got in his 5th year, 2 years, 1.5 million per.

Campbell had 12 goals and 44 points in his contract year. Sekera had a nice small string of games and flashes here and there but had 3 goals and 22 points. And don't tell me his physical side makes up for his lack of offense, he doesn't have one.

I'd assume that Shakira is looking for more years, prolly three or four. @2 mill cap hit. Sabres looking at 1.5 mill per for 2 years.

I do believe that Sekera is trade bait, and he, along with some sort of package including one of our two 2nd-rounders next year, will bring a good center back. Not only was getting Regehr a steal, but getting a 2nd rounder, which is very valuable these days, was shear genius by Darcy!

He's a good skater, but he has no physical game, and that looks to be the direction our defence is going. He was really streaky this season, remember when he got benched? I know he came back like an all-star for a few games after that, but that just solidifies my opinion that he is lazy and only shows up when he wants to.

He's a good skater, but he has no physical game, and that looks to be the direction our defence is going. He was really streaky this season, remember when he got benched? I know he came back like an all-star for a few games after that, but that just solidifies my opinion that he is lazy and only shows up when he wants to.

Doesn't that remind you of Vanek a few years back? And now he's our nr. 1 winger.

Don't worry. We should have a DeLuca67 sighting on this thread before the end of the day.

If you want my opinion just ask.

Sekera has a lot of value as a player and as a asset. This isn't a situation where the Sabres can just walk away or deal him just to deal him.

Sekera made $1.25 mil last season. $2 mil seems very reasonable for the next three years.

Sekera has a lot of value as a player and as a asset. This isn't a situation where the Sabres can just walk away or deal him just to deal him.

Sekera made $1.25 mil last season. $2 mil seems very reasonable for the next three years.

I agree, takes up one UFA year, seems fair.

I'm thinking you just disappointed a few people. :rolleyes:

I agree that he is an asset and should be treated as one (ie. do NOT walk away from him), but do you really feel he is worth $2M per? He couldn't stay in the lineup consistently on a team with a generally poor defense. And given our cap situation I don't think we have the luxury to overpay for a last pairing defenseman.

I guess I haven't paid too much attention to what the non big name defensemen are getting so maybe a 5-6-7 D man is worth $2M. I'm just not sure that we can afford the luxury of paying another last pair guy that much now.

Archived