Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Wow. 114 Old Grand Dad is better than expected. Rich, and chewy, and boozy. Sweet and unidentifiably spicy on the nose. First sip was uncut, at 114 proof. There is definite alcohol heat, but alot of spice, and grass, hints of sweetness. I added a splash of water and this glass exploded. Grassy, minty, lots of spice, and almost burnt sugar flavors. Some of that rich, ribbon candy flavor shows up. And sweet corn near the end. Loooooooong finish. Thick and viscous on the tongue. Damn, I can't believe this isn't a super premium bottle. Very interesting stuff.

Wow. 114 Old Grand Dad is better than expected. Rich, and chewy, and boozy. Sweet and unidentifiably spicy on the nose. First sip was uncut, at 114 proof. There is definite alcohol heat, but alot of spice, and grass, hints of sweetness. I added a splash of water and this glass exploded. Grassy, minty, lots of spice, and almost burnt sugar flavors. Some of that rich, ribbon candy flavor shows up. And sweet corn near the end. Loooooooong finish. Thick and viscous on the tongue. Damn, I can't believe this isn't a super premium bottle. Very interesting stuff.

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Got a 2'fer to report tonight. Was out and about today on the hunt for something to drink that I haven't had before (which is becoming quite a chore). I was specifically looking for bottled in bond whiskeys. Bottled in bond is a legal term that denotes 100 proof and bottled entirely from one season of distillation. In other words, all of the whiskey is the same age, not a blend of different years.

1st up is Henry McKenna bottled in bond bourbon. 100 proof and 10 yrs old. Lots of rye in the recipe. Poured neat. The nose is heavy on burnt sugar and barrel notes. Maybe a touch grassy as well. On the tongue the alcohol dominates. This one is hot. And spicy. Heavy pepper and cinnamon. But the finish is worth getting past the heat and spice. Sweet caramel and then a fade to vanilla and and grain husk. I added a splash of water and it really opened up. The alcohol heat died off and the cinnamon and vanilla really started to shine, but the sweetness dissipated as well. Highly recommended if you like bold, spicy whiskeys.

the 2nd is a bottled in bond rye, Rittenhouse bottled in bond. No age statement so it is likely a young-ish whiskey. Also poured neat. Much milder nose. Mostly sweet grain notes and a little citrus. Initially alcohol hot on the tongue, with some solid cinnamon notes. But not nearly as intense as McKenna. Sweeter, milder overall, and less interesting. Tasty, but not as complex. I added a bit of water and it became very sweet and mild. Brown sugar, grain, and vanilla. The cinnamon picks up in the finish to balance the sweetness. The hot cinnamon builds through the finish and then fades. A really nice, long finish. Not as interesting as McKenna, but a nice pour overall. It is definitely a younger whiskey as the barrel notes are much more subtle. I'm betting this one makes a fantastic Old Fashioned.

Got a 2'fer to report tonight. Was out and about today on the hunt for something to drink that I haven't had before (which is becoming quite a chore). I was specifically looking for bottled in bond whiskeys. Bottled in bond is a legal term that denotes 100 proof and bottled entirely from one season of distillation. In other words, all of the whiskey is the same age, not a blend of different years.

1st up is Henry McKenna bottled in bond bourbon. 100 proof and 10 yrs old. Lots of rye in the recipe. Poured neat. The nose is heavy on burnt sugar and barrel notes. Maybe a touch grassy as well. On the tongue the alcohol dominates. This one is hot. And spicy. Heavy pepper and cinnamon. But the finish is worth getting past the heat and spice. Sweet caramel and then a fade to vanilla and and grain husk. I added a splash of water and it really opened up. The alcohol heat died off and the cinnamon and vanilla really started to shine, but the sweetness dissipated as well. Highly recommended if you like bold, spicy whiskeys.

the 2nd is a bottled in bond rye, Rittenhouse bottled in bond. No age statement so it is likely a young-ish whiskey. Also poured neat. Much milder nose. Mostly sweet grain notes and a little citrus. Initially alcohol hot on the tongue, with some solid cinnamon notes. But not nearly as intense as McKenna. Sweeter, milder overall, and less interesting. Tasty, but not as complex. I added a bit of water and it became very sweet and mild. Brown sugar, grain, and vanilla. The cinnamon picks up in the finish to balance the sweetness. The hot cinnamon builds through the finish and then fades. A really nice, long finish. Not as interesting as McKenna, but a nice pour overall. It is definitely a younger whiskey as the barrel notes are much more subtle. I'm betting this one makes a fantastic Old Fashioned.

That McKenna sounds like exactly my kind of pour.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I forgot about this thread but I feel like it should be bumped.

So I mentioned in the food thread I went to the Bourbon and BBQ festival.  It was really good.  I had Eagle Rare, Wisconsin Wheat, and a host of other Bourbons I honestly can't remember.  If y'all ever have the opportunity to attend, do it.  Buy VIP tickets though.  That is the only way you can get in, in time to get Pappy Van Winkle 23yr old, if they have it.

I'm kinda sad that we're not going to make it to the Philly Flower Show this year; I got pretty lit at the PA Liquor Store free sampling corral. They had at least a dozen whiskeys to try, and at least twice that many other liquors on top of that.

http://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2015/02/27/food-try-philadelphia-flower-show/

"Fine Wine & Good Spirits Store

When you just can't take anymore flowers, check out the tastings that will be held here, as well as the on-site store. You can also catch some celebrity appearances, like Ethan Wayne signing bottles of Duke Bourbon on February 28 and Dan Aykroyd and his Crystal Skull Vodka on March 6."

I've only recently discovered how good whiskey can be. I've been a beer drinker ever since college and rarely touched liquor until my wife decided to get me a mini bar for my 40th birthday. Now I'm into Jameson, Jim Beam, and JD. The guy at my local liquor store recommended something called Eagle Rare, which is a Kentucky-style bourbon whiskey...very tasty.

That said, I don't drink this stuff straight. Of course, I've tasted them straight to compare, but I prefer to mix it with something...ginger ale, soda, something.

Any recommendations for a good Kentucky bourbon/whiskey? I like the Eagle Rare, but I'm looking to try others.

I've only recently discovered how good whiskey can be. I've been a beer drinker ever since college and rarely touched liquor until my wife decided to get me a mini bar for my 40th birthday. Now I'm into Jameson, Jim Beam, and JD. The guy at my local liquor store recommended something called Eagle Rare, which is a Kentucky-style bourbon whiskey...very tasty.

That said, I don't drink this stuff straight. Of course, I've tasted them straight to compare, but I prefer to mix it with something...ginger ale, soda, something.

Any recommendations for a good Kentucky bourbon/whiskey? I like the Eagle Rare, but I'm looking to try others.

Elijah Craig 12 yr.  Very affordable (similar to Eagle Rare) and easy to drink.

Eagle Rare is a really good one.  It tends to finish on the sweeter/more caramel side, whereas quite a few other bourbons finish spicy.  Others I like for the caramel finish include WL Weller, Larceny, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and Old Grandad 114.  Note that the last two are high proof and adding a splash of water makes them much more drinkable.

If you want to give the spicy side of bourbon a try I can't recommend Four Roses Small Batch highly enough.  Bio mentions Elijah Craig 12 yr.  That is another really terrific bourbon that finishes with a strong peppery, cinnamony finish.

On the lower end of the price spectrum, pick up a bottle of Evan Williams black label.  VERY drinkable and smooth.  Its a much more flavorful alternative to JD and Jim Beam.

I wouldn't bother spending too much money on something you are planning to mix with soda anyway (unless you are going to have a dozen or so so the hangover isn't as bad). I actually prefer the cheaper stuff for mixed drinks because you can taste it more. The spendy stuff is for sippin' straight

I wouldn't bother spending too much money on something you are planning to mix with soda anyway (unless you are going to have a dozen or so so the hangover isn't as bad). I actually prefer the cheaper stuff for mixed drinks because you can taste it more. The spendy stuff is for sippin' straight

How did I gloss over that?

Listen to SumpfV.  He's pre-Med.

Evan Williams is your friend.  Want something bolder?  Give good Old Grandad with the orange label a whirl.  Wild Turkey 101 as well.

Evan Williams is your friend.  Want something bolder?  Give good Old Grandad with the orange label a whirl.  Wild Turkey 101 as well.

Even though the price would suggest otherwise, Colonel Lee is also pretty good.

I think Old Granddad is one of the best for a Manhattan.

Thanks, everyone. I used to have a bottle of Evan Williams, but it reminded me of JD.

I might give Wild Turkey a try and/or pick up Elijah Craig for sipping purposes.  ;)

If you go for the Wild Turkey, get the 101 proof version.  Much more flavorful than the regular 81 proof version.

I think Old Granddad is one of the best for a Manhattan.

High rye content.  Very full flavored.  And I agree.  As lower priced bourbons go, OGD makes a great Manhattan and Old Fashioned.

the 2nd is a bottled in bond rye, Rittenhouse bottled in bond. No age statement so it is likely a young-ish whiskey. 

If you go for the Wild Turkey, get the 101 proof version.  Much more flavorful than the regular 81 proof version.

High rye content.  Very full flavored.  And I agree.  As lower priced bourbons go, OGD makes a great Manhattan and Old Fashioned.

I got a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100 a while back, and I agree: It's not the best sipper, but it is, bar none, the best cocktail rye I have ever had in the house. Outstanding. Full of all sorts of good funk and weirdness (I'm just not refined enough to say things like licorice, black pepper, and used gym sock) -- it is now my go-to for Manhattans, OF's, Scofflaws, etc.

I also read up on it a bit, and saw that it used to be available for a well-liquor price point, then it won some big award, and now it goes for twice the price. Even so, it can still be had in my area for ~$25.

I got a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100 a while back, and I agree: It's not the best sipper, but it is, bar none, the best cocktail rye I have ever had in the house. Outstanding. Full of all sorts of good funk and weirdness (I'm just not refined enough to say things like licorice, black pepper, and used gym sock) -- it is now my go-to for Manhattans, OF's, Scofflaws, etc.

I also read up on it a bit, and saw that it used to be available for a well-liquor price point, then it won some big award, and now it goes for twice the price. Even so, it can still be had in my area for ~$25.

I think I paid $29.99+.  And it does make a nice Old Fashioned.

What bourbon would ya'll suggest for Mint Juleps? I'm going to attempt a 1 gallon batch of Mint Julep beer for the Kentucky Derby, and I've got to soak oak chips in bourbon to toss in the secondary. I figure whatever I have left over will go towards the real Mint Juleps for that day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.