Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

School doesn't last forever, my man!

Anyway. Just had the second slug. I don't know why I thought it would be better than the first. It was not.

I need to (1) resume going out for happy hour on weeknights (not likely); (2) get some good ol' sleepin' drugs, or (3) buy some gosh darn shootin' whisky.

What, you don't have any VHS game tapes from the dead puck era?

Anyway.   Just had the second slug.  I don't know why I thought it would be better than the first.  It was not.

I need to (1) resume going out for happy hour on weeknights (not likely); (2) get some good ol' sleepin' drugs, or (3) buy some gosh darn shootin' whisky.

Wanna bet? I've considered going for a 3rd advanced degree...

I've got a Christmas bottle of Woodford downstairs, but no ice.  (Don't get me started on the ice maker.)   About 15 minutes ago, I decide to pour 2 oz, and open it up with a bit of tap water.  I take a good slug--like half the glass (so about 1.1 or 1.2 oz, like a shot at a bar that's generous).  

I nearly spat it out.

Evidently, I've drank too much whisk(e)y over the years. Either that, or I have my old man's (and his old man's) palate (?). Or some combination of both -- the former proceeding from the latter. Because there's not a brown liquor on the shelf that gives me any real pause or problem when it comes time to throw down 2 ounces (or more). Some's better than others, but it all goes down the hatch when downing time comes.

Anyway.   Just had the second slug.  I don't know why I thought it would be better than the first.  It was not.

Knob Creek makes a mean 120 proof bourbon... I enjoy it.  Have at it!

And for what it's worth it only tastes bad if it hits your tongue!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!  "Weave" sent me here!

So blame it on him when you don't like my comments or otherwise wish I hadn't chimed in here.

Are there any scotch drinkers here?  And if so, what do you think of this recent movement to go to non age-statement single malts? 

There were scotch drinkers in here.  They left suddenly for some reason. 

Hey, look at me.  Over 10,000 posts.  No wonder noone listens to me.

Yeah, what ever happened to braedon (I think that was his name)?  He was big into the Islay style scotches, I seem to recall.

Yeah, what ever happened to braedon (I think that was his name)?  He was big into the Islay style scotches, I seem to recall.

Wo.  The Islay stuff is not for the faint of heart.

That is the heavily peated stuff.  Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg.  That sort of thing. 

Interesting flavor profile, but somewhat similar to German hospital sanitizer.

Wo.  The Islay stuff is not for the faint of heart.

That is the heavily peated stuff.  Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg.  That sort of thing. 

Interesting flavor profile, but somewhat similar to German hospital sanitizer.

:w00t:  lol yeah I do more bourbon than scotch, but the scotches I do like are more of the Speyside variety.

:w00t:  lol yeah I do more bourbon than scotch, but the scotches I do like are more of the Speyside variety.

An excellent choice.  Speyside offers lots of interesting choices.

"The Balvenie" from Speyside is one of my favorites.

Edited by Kruppstahl

An excellent choice.  Speyside offers lots of interesting choices.

"The Balvenie" from Speyside are some of my favorites.

I haven't tried that one yet.  I think my favorite so far is The Glenrothes 1995, but Macallan 12 (paging nfreeman to the whiskey thread!) is good, too.

I haven't tried that one yet.  I think my favorite so far is The Glenrothes 1995, but Macallan 12 (paging nfreeman to the whiskey thread!) is good, too.

Macallan is a very well known scotch, but very sherry influenced in flavor profile and I'm not into that.  Too tart and sour.

But everyone has a different palate!  The key with scotch is to try enough so that one knows what one likes, then stick with it.

I probably sound like a salesman, but for 50 bucks, you can't beat a bottle of Highland Park 12.

Smoke.  Bacon. Charcoal. Oh...it's so good.

Macallan is a very well known scotch, but very sherry influenced in flavor profile and I'm not into that.  Too tart and sour.

But everyone has a different palate!  The key with scotch is to try enough so that one knows what one likes, then stick with it.

I probably sound like a salesman, but for 50 bucks, you can't beat a bottle of Highland Park 12.

Smoke.  Bacon. Charcoal. Oh...it's so good.

Lots o bourbon in here since Braedon skipped out on us.

I've got a bottle of Oban in the cabinet that I enjoy. But at the end of the day I just like bourbon more than I like scotch.  The peat and smoke don't work for me.  I prefer my smoke in brisket and pork.

Lots o bourbon in here since Braedon skipped out on us.

I've got a bottle of Oban in the cabinet that I enjoy. But at the end of the day I just like bourbon more than I like scotch.  The peat and smoke don't work for me.  I prefer my smoke in brisket and pork.

There are many flavor profiles prevalent in various scotches.  Only some have a peaty flavor.  Many have no suggestion of peat at all.  

But the key is to drink what you enjoy!  If you have a good bourbon you like, drink it, and enjoy it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.