Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Great, I'll keep an eye open for them. Maybe this weekend I will have time to scan through the thread and see what I can pick up from others

There's a good mix of bourbon and scotch recommendations, depending on your fancy. It's much easier to find cheap good bourbon than cheap good scotch, but Dewars and Monkey Shoulder are inexpensive scotches if you're so inclined. Happy reading!

There's a good mix of bourbon and scotch recommendations, depending on your fancy. It's much easier to find cheap good bourbon than cheap good scotch, but Dewars and Monkey Shoulder are inexpensive scotches if you're so inclined. Happy reading!

Excellent! Cheers  :beer:

Isn't Evan Williams like 40% less costly as Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace? (I love BT and ER).

Not quite the same budget I am thinking.

Although it was in college when I adapted the philosophy of buying a better product and then taking longer to drink it so I could savor it more.  The extra cost of the booze was offset by the savings in ibuprofen.

Isn't Evan Williams like 40% less costly as Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace? (I love BT and ER).

Not quite the same budget I am thinking.

Although it was in college when I adapted the philosophy of buying a better product and then taking longer to drink it so I could savor it more.  The extra cost of the booze was offset by the savings in ibuprofen.

Yes, EW is significantly less than the others.  Personally, I like EW.  It's a good product.  It's a youngish whiskey.  But it's certainly mid shelf.  I'll take it over Jack Daniels every time.  Throw a few cubes of ice in a glass and its good to go.

Edited by weave

I totally agree.  My exposure to whiskey while in my early drinking years was JD and so I came to the conclusion that I hated the stuff.  Now, I know better.  It's like that with tequila for a lot of people.  They drink that non-premium Cuervo which is not 100% agave or they drink some other lower end tequila that is 100% and get turned off by it.

Good tequila... oh.. man..

Anyway.. I've not had Evan Williams and not sure I will. I can afford the BT and ER so I go for that.  I sampled Woodford Reserve Double Oaked one time.. I just haven't pulled the trigger on the $52 price point.  I'm a huge oak character guy.

I totally agree.  My exposure to whiskey while in my early drinking years was JD and so I came to the conclusion that I hated the stuff.  Now, I know better.  It's like that with tequila for a lot of people.  They drink that non-premium Cuervo which is not 100% agave or they drink some other lower end tequila that is 100% and get turned off by it.

Good tequila... oh.. man..

Anyway.. I've not had Evan Williams and not sure I will. I can afford the BT and ER so I go for that.  I sampled Woodford Reserve Double Oaked one time.. I just haven't pulled the trigger on the $52 price point.  I'm a huge oak character guy.

Pricier stuff, but if you are into barrel character you need to fully explore the stuff that Heaven Hill puts out.  Elijah Craig 12, 18, and 23 yr all have good barrel notes, in the 23yr bottling its almost too much barrel.  Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond is a 10 yr old 100 proof pour from HH and has nice barrel notes to it.  Not to the point that WRDO does, but its also a $25 bottle.  Diageo's The Orphan Barrel series of bottles are heavy barrel note pours as well (Barter House, Lost Prophet, Strongbox, Old Blowhard, and Rhetoric).  IIRC they are all around 20 yrs in barrel. But you'll pay around $75-90 for them.

I might have to take a look.  Like I said.. quality over quantity is usually how i roll.  Always wise to have a lesser bottle hanging around so you can start with the best and then step it down a notch after the fact.

Been awhile since I've reviewed a new whiskey. Tried a fairly new release today. It is called Blood Oath and is bottled by Luxco. 98.6 proof. The internet informs me that it is a blend of 3 bourbons from 3 different producers. A youngish high rye, a wheater, and an older rye bourbon. My glass was neat.

The nose was sweet, with just a hint of grassy rye. Very sweet. Maple syrup. First sip had some heat, but the brown sugar and maple syrup notes dominated. It was kind of flat in the middle. Great mouthfeel. Almost silky. But not alot of depth. The finish was pure cinnamon hard candy. Classic aged wheat bourbon. A bit of vanilla barrel note peaked in, but it took a bit to find it.

This is a candy bourbon. Not terribly complex, but enjoyable nonetheless. Im not sure I'd pay the $90 suggested retail for it, but it is one of the few bourbons I've had that give you the old time candy finish that gets Van Winkle so much attention. Not enough backbone to handle a good cigar. I'd call this one more of an after dinner bourbon. I really enjoyed it.

Been awhile since I've reviewed a new whiskey. Tried a fairly new release today. It is called Blood Oath and is bottled by Luxco. 98.6 proof. The internet informs me that it is a blend of 3 bourbons from 3 different producers. A youngish high rye, a wheater, and an older rye bourbon. My glass was neat.

The nose was sweet, with just a hint of grassy rye. Very sweet. Maple syrup. First sip had some heat, but the brown sugar and maple syrup notes dominated. It was kind of flat in the middle. Great mouthfeel. Almost silky. But not alot of depth. The finish was pure cinnamon hard candy. Classic aged wheat bourbon. A bit of vanilla barrel note peaked in, but it took a bit to find it.

This is a candy bourbon. Not terribly complex, but enjoyable nonetheless. Im not sure I'd pay the $90 suggested retail for it, but it is one of the few bourbons I've had that give you the old time candy finish that gets Van Winkle so much attention. Not enough backbone to handle a good cigar. I'd call this one more of an after dinner bourbon. I really enjoyed it.

If it can't handle a cigar I'm not sure I'd pay $90 for it either.

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another new to me pour to try last night. This time I was able to sample Old Fitzgerald 1849. 90 proof. Had my sample with 2 ice cubes in a rocks glass. Very interesting pour. It didnt strike me as being a young whiskey but Old Fitz usually is. Maybe this one is aged longer. It had a really interesting flavor profile. Barrel notes werent overly strong, but it had a perfumey, almost mediciney character to it that I found rather enjoyable. Not a pour for everyone but I'd recommend anyone to try it. Really interesting take on bourbon.

I tried Angel's Envy for the first time Friday night.  My God, was that delicious!  I had asked for ice on the side, but didn't end up adding any.  Delectable aroma and incredibly (dangerously) smooth.  Must buy when my budget recovers from this moving nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...

Whiskey article from esquire.com: 10 Great Underrated Whiskeys

Here's the link: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a36514/10-underrated-whiskeys/

The author goes into detail on why each whiskey listed is underrated, but if you just want to know which whiskeys made the list here they are:

Evan Williams Black Label

Buffalo Trace

Old Grand-Dad 114 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Booker's

Larceny

George Dickel No. 12

High West Campfire

Breuckelen 77 Whiskey (White Wax)

Jameson Gold Reserve

Has anyone tried all 10? Do you disagree with any that made the list?

Here's the link: http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/a36514/10-underrated-whiskeys/

The author goes into detail on why each whiskey listed is underrated, but if you just want to know which whiskeys made the list here they are:

Buffalo Trace

Old Grand-Dad 114 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Booker's

Larceny

George Dickel No. 12

High West Campfire

Jameson Gold Reserve

I'm missing high west campfire and breuckelen from that list.

I'd take Buffalo Trace off that list personally.  It's plenty decent whiskey, but underrated?  I think there is more deserving.

I'm missing high west campfire and breuckelen from that list.

I'd take Buffalo Trace off that list personally.  It's plenty decent whiskey, but underrated?  I think there is more deserving.

I wish there was a way to sample multiple whiskeys without buying bottles... From this list, can you come up with a top 3?

I wish there was a way to sample multiple whiskeys without buying bottles... From this list, can you come up with a top 3?

It is so dependent on the flavors you prefer.  All of those bottles are good whiskeys.  Out of that list my favorites are OGD 114, Rare Breed, and probably Bookers, but I like my bourbon higher proof.  Not a damned thing wrong with any of those whiskeys.

As for trying without buying a bottle, that is what a decent whiskey bar is for.

Or, there is this... https://www.tastersclub.com/

Buffalo Trace

Old Grand-Dad 114 

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Booker's

Larceny

George Dickel No. 12

High West Campfire

Jameson Gold Reserve

Geez, I need to get to drinking... I've only had two on that list (Buffalo Trace and Larceny)!

It is so dependent on the flavors you prefer.  All of those bottles are good whiskeys.  Out of that list my favorites are OGD 114, Rare Breed, and probably Bookers, but I like my bourbon higher proof.  Not a damned thing wrong with any of those whiskeys.

As for trying without buying a bottle, that is what a decent whiskey bar is for.

Looks like a cool club, but $69 a month is way outside my college budget. 

Looks like a cool club, but $69 a month is way outside my college budget.

College budget? Evan Williams black lebal all day long. I drink alot of varieties of bourbon. My cabinet has 16 different whiskeys in it right now. I've got a glass of Evan Williams black sitting beside me as I type this and a 2nd handle waiting in reserve for when I finish the opened one. It is pretty much the definition of underrated bourbon in my opinion. Short glass, 4 ice cubes, 3 finger pour.

Edited by weave

College budget? Evan Williams black lebal all day long. I drink alot of varieties of bourbon. My cabinet has 16 different whiskeys in it right now. I've got a glass of Evan Williams black sitting beside me as I type this and a 2nd handle waiting in reserve for when I finish the opened one. It is pretty much the definition of underrated bourbon in my opinion. Short glass, 4 ice cubes, 3 finger pour.

Excellent. I will definitely trust your evaluation (and Esquire's). 

Seconded.

That bourbon club--have you tried it?  I'm imagining plenty of bottles that I could get for $40 at a good liquor store, only delivered to me for $69 plus $14 shipping.

Seconded.

That bourbon club--have you tried it? I'm imagining plenty of bottles that I could get for $40 at a good liquor store, only delivered to me for $69 plus $14 shipping.

Have not tried it. I hit uo tje google machine for whiskey of the month and that was the first hit.

If im looking to try without buying a bottle i go on the hunt for a bar witht that bottle on the shelf. But that might end up just as pricey as a wotm membership.

I would also scratch Buffalo Trace from the list purely on the "underrated" tag.  People I know speak rather highly of it.  

I need to branch out more. :)  Evan Williams is on my list.  I should actually write these down or at least pull up this thread when I am at a liquor store. 

I would also scratch Buffalo Trace from the list purely on the "underrated" tag.  People I know speak rather highly of it.  

I need to branch out more. :)  Evan Williams is on my list.  I should actually write these down or at least pull up this thread when I am at a liquor store. 

I agree w/ you on Buffalo Trace.  I think it's pretty highly rated as it is.

Evan Williams is the best econo-bourbon out there, now that Bulleit has jacked its prices.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.