Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

For fathers day, my amazing wife got me a subscription to a Bourbon of the Month Club.

I couldn't be more excited.

Very nice. I'm bummed that something changed with Caskers and they no longer ship ANYTHING to Pennsylvania. :cry:

Edited by biodork

So I'm not a big whiskey/scotch drinker (you'll find me in the beer thread more often then not), but I have a lot of friends who are. I keep some generic stuff on hand, like CC and jack, but if I was to keep a couple decent bottles of something in stock for the whiskey crowd, what would you suggest? I'm thinking a bourbon and a scotch that would appeal to most people. They could be a little higher end as I wouldn't be going through them very fast, but I don't want to break the bank, either.

So I'm not a big whiskey/scotch drinker (you'll find me in the beer thread more often then not), but I have a lot of friends who are. I keep some generic stuff on hand, like CC and jack, but if I was to keep a couple decent bottles of something in stock for the whiskey crowd, what would you suggest? I'm thinking a bourbon and a scotch that would appeal to most people. They could be a little higher end as I wouldn't be going through them very fast, but I don't want to break the bank, either.

Personally, I like Bulleit Bourbon and Rye, and they're not too expensive either. Scotch is a bit tougher, since there's a huge variation between basic blended stuff (Dewars, Chivas) and single-malt (MacCallan, Lavulgin (SP)).

Bulleit is good, and Eagle Rare is a nice bourbon at a reasonable price. Monkey Shoulder is a pretty decent scotch for the price (it's a Speyside blend), but as MattPie alluded, there are huge differences in style and flavor of scotch so it's harder to find a one-size-fits-all.

I'll second Bio's thoughts with Eagle Rare. Nice stuff that any bourbon drinker will appreciate but its not overly pricey. There are loads of really nice bourbons in the $30-50 range. Eagle Rare can hang with nearly all of them.

Scotch is tougher. So much range in flavors when you start talking single malt. If it were me I'd take the easy way out and get a more crowd pleasing Scotch like Oban or one of the MacAllan bottlings.

I'm thinking you would be an Elijah Craig fan.
Just finished a bottle of Elijah Craig as my golf season burboun companion (carry it in flask on the course)....the Elijah was the boldest most flavored and defintely best with a cigar.
No Elijah Craig but they did have four rose single barrel so that was an easy decision.

Received a bottle of this recently as a gift. Oh my.

I still keep coming back to Makers Mark. Regular is better than 46 IMO. If I'm in a scotch mood, Macallan 12 year old. I'm not into the overly peaty flavor of other single malts.

Maker's is my go-to when I order at a bar or whatever. I cannot stand the 46. I think it's horrible. More alcohol /= better whisky.

Maker's is my go-to when I order at a bar or whatever. I cannot stand the 46. I think it's horrible. More alcohol /= better whisky.

Woodford reserve and blanton's are my go to bourbons. Can drink them neat all night long, and one or both are usually available in most bars. If not, rethink where you are spending your time.

Edited by korab rules

Woodford reserve and blanton's are my go to bourbons. Can drink them neat all night long, and one or both are usually available in most bars. If not, rethink where you are spending your time.

My go to bourbon is tequila. For the money, Camarena is really good. I can sip it all day.

Sorry. I know this is the whisk(e)y thread. Wasn't sure if there was a general spirits thread.

I still keep coming back to Makers Mark. Regular is better than 46 IMO. If I'm in a scotch mood, Macallan 12 year old. I'm not into the overly peaty flavor of other single malts.

In my experience, Makers is a gateway whisky. Smooth and sweet. Much better than what the mostly uninitiated believe is whisky (Jack, Jameson, Wild Turkey, and, yuck, Fireball). Very easy to get other people introduced to better/real whisky with it; it's how I got my start. Cheap enough to mix with other things if you had to.

Macallan's usually the next step. Most of my lady friends (special or not) enjoy Macallan 12 as much as I do, but my favorites are the Islays: Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg Uigeadalifdaffwueaellla, etc.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

In my experience, Makers is a gateway whisky. Smooth and sweet. Much better than what the mostly uninitiated believe is whisky (Jack, Jameson, Wild Turkey, and, yuck, Fireball). Very easy to get other people introduced to better/real whisky with it; it's how I got my start. Cheap enough to mix with other things if you had to.

Macallan's usually the next step. Most of my lady friends (special or not) enjoy Macallan 12 as much as I do, but my favorites are the Islays: Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg Uigeadalifdaffwueaellla, etc.

I'm not sure I would call Makers smooth. I like the flavor but actually find it to be very harsh.

Blantons as a goto? Thats a nice whiskey budget. I'm jealous.

My go to bourbon is tequila. For the money, Camarena is really good. I can sip it all day.

Sorry. I know this is the whisk(e)y thread. Wasn't sure if there was a general spirits thread.

There was a general spirits thread but It didnt get alot of activity. Its probably in last years threads. Tequila is my Summer diversion. Havent really gottrn into experimenting beyond what im familiar with though.

I'm not sure I would call Makers smooth. I like the flavor but actually find it to be very harsh.

Word. It's gasoline. I won't even use it for Julips. Drown it with ice and ginger ale if you must, but it still gives me heartburn.

Man, I bet its been 7-8 yrs since I've last had Makers. Has it gone downhill? It didnt used to be rough. It used to be rather soft and mild.

my favorites are the Islays: Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg Uigeadalifdaffwueaellla, etc.

I love the Islays, too, especially Lagavulin 16.

How did you like the Laphroaig 10? That’s my other go-to Islay. I once read a review of it that compared its bouquet to phenol, tar and hospital tape, and it was a positive review! Needless to say, Islays are not for everyone!

Have you tried Caol Ila? They have a pretty good variety and aren’t too pricey. They are Islays, and are generally smooth with a lighter, subtler peat profile.

I love the Islays, too, especially Lagavulin 16.

How did you like the Laphroaig 10? That’s my other go-to Islay. I once read a review of it that compared its bouquet to phenol, tar and hospital tape, and it was a positive review! Needless to say, Islays are not for everyone!

I just picked up a bottle a little while ago, and the first few sips I've had were very good. I, obviously, need to drink more of it. Maybe tonight's a good night for Laphroaig.

Have you tried Caol Ila? They have a pretty good variety and aren’t too pricey. They are Islays, and are generally smooth with a lighter, subtler peat profile.

I haven't yet. I'll keep it mind. Thankfully I have a lot of things on the shelf I need to work on.

I like Woodford a lot. Better than Maker's, even. It's just not in a lot of the places I go to.

Blanton's as a "go-to"?! I wish I had that kind of money. It is amazing, but pretty damned expensive. It's a special occasion pour for me.

Blantons as a goto? Thats a nice whiskey budget. I'm jealous.

Man, I bet its been 7-8 yrs since I've last had Makers. Has it gone downhill? It didnt used to be rough. It used to be rather soft and mild.

Echo on the price of Blanton's, obviously!

Maker's has not changed.

Edited by Eleven

I can usually find blanton's for roughly 45 a bottle. Life is too short to drink cheap beer or booze or cigars. Enjoying a couple fingers of it now with a Perdomo Exhibicion. Makes for a nice evening.

I just picked up a bottle a little while ago, and the first few sips I've had were very good. I, obviously, need to drink more of it. Maybe tonight's a good night for Laphroaig.

I haven't yet. I'll keep it mind. Thankfully I have a lot of things on the shelf I need to work on.

try the Oban 16. You'll like it. Caol isla is good but very light and delicate. No water needed.

I like Woodford a lot. Better than Maker's, even. It's just not in a lot of the places I go to.

Blanton's as a "go-to"?! I wish I had that kind of money. It is amazing, but pretty damned expensive. It's a special occasion pour for me.

Echo on the price of Blanton's, obviously!

Maker's has not changed.

stay away from the wood ford double oak. No where near as nice as the reserve.

I can usually find blanton's for roughly 45 a bottle. Life is too short to drink cheap beer or booze or cigars. Enjoying a couple fingers of it now with a Perdomo Exhibicion. Makes for a nice evening.

I never find it under $60. Even at $60, I'm thrilled. Congrats--and please let me know where you're shopping. (By the glass, I find it's usually about $12 for a one-shot pour, btw. That is almost audaciously pricey for Buffalo.)

I don't consider Maker's or Woodford (or 1789 for that matter, but that has more bite than I like) to be cheap; more mid-range. They're not Beam or Early Times, FFS.

Edited by Eleven

I never find it under $60. Even at $60, I'm thrilled. Congrats--and please let me know where you're shopping. (By the glass, I find it's usually about $12 for a one-shot pour, btw. That is almost audaciously pricey for Buffalo.)

I don't consider Maker's or Woodford (or 1789 for that matter, but that has more bite than I like) to be cheap; more mid-range. They're not Beam or Early Times, FFS.

really? 60 a bottle would make me think twice. GCP liquor is the place. Woodford is usually in the same 45 price range. My favorite bartender seems to want to put his employer out of business. He pours about 3 fingers of either for 8 bucks.

Makers isn't cheap. I just don't like it. Plenty of good bargain bottles. A couple have been named. Look for 4 roses small batch. Good stuff in the 30 range. Evan Williams makes a nice single barrel in that range. 4 roses single barrel is around 40 and is damn good as well.

Edited by korab rules

A lot of the posts here reference the fact that many preferred brands are not only expensive, but often hard to find. I order my good booze from a certain place in California, and it’s way cheaper than here in NC, and the variety is ridiculous. I’m new here so I don’t know if it’s okay to just flat out name the place for you. FWIW I’m not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.