Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

I've only recently discovered how good whiskey can be. I've been a beer drinker ever since college and rarely touched liquor until my wife decided to get me a mini bar for my 40th birthday. Now I'm into Jameson, Jim Beam, and JD. The guy at my local liquor store recommended something called Eagle Rare, which is a Kentucky-style bourbon whiskey...very tasty.

That said, I don't drink this stuff straight. Of course, I've tasted them straight to compare, but I prefer to mix it with something...ginger ale, soda, something.

Any recommendations for a good Kentucky bourbon/whiskey? I like the Eagle Rare, but I'm looking to try others.

Eagle Rare has been a favorite of mine for quite awhile. I discovered Wathan's about 4 months ago and now consider it my favorite (in the same price class). Blanton's beats them both BUT for an extra $10-$15 maybe not worth it but, if you catch B's on sale, give it a try for comparison.

This is more accurate than my post.

Patrick is an English/French/Norman name.  Padraig is Gaelic.  St.Patrick made the name common in Ireland, but they assumed the Gaelic for its shorthand.

Gatdammit, teaching these cretins makes me thirsty for a whiskey.

There was a long time were speaking Gaelic was frowned upon as well.

I read somewhere, recently, that American English is actually closer to 17th Century British English than current British English is. 

I read that too. British English got all posh in the late 1800s with schools for manners and whatnot. There's a reason Aussie and Canadian accents are more like American English than British English...

The other part of it is "BBC" English is enforced on broadcast TV and radio. When you get outside London (and even inside too), you'll find a ton of accents that most certainly don't sound like the TV.

I've got a couple shots left in a bottle of Irish Manor, and will be uncapping a fresh bottle of Jameson tonight, for Irish Coffee.   :)

This is the recipe I use for Irish Coffee 

Cup black coffee

1 shot Irish whiskey

1 teaspoon BROWN sugar

HEAVY cream (do not use Cool Whip, Ready Whip, etc).

Stir together coffee, sugar and whiskey.  Let it stop swirling.  Then take the back of a spoon,  hold just above the surface of the coffee, and slowly pour a layer of heavy cream onto the spoon, and atop the coffee.  That minimizes the mixing.  

Then, enjoy!

Edited by Jsixspd

Feminine in which language? Certainly not his own.

He did adopt Ireland as his home country. Spoke their language most likely as he essentially grew up with it.  The day is a celebration of his work in Ireland.  And...... Oh hell, you're just being difficult for the entertainment.

Josie, doesn't he have chores or homework or something?

Edited by weave

Perhaps it was mentioned already but there is a DirecTV original documentary "Bourbontucky" airing on Audience channel.  I caught part of it Sunday.  It was pretty cool.  Check it out if you get a chance.

It sure as heck made me want something to drink... :)

An Irishman getting upset for how *I* pronounce something?  Now that's novel.

Perhaps it was mentioned already but there is a DirecTV original documentary "Bourbontucky" airing on Audience channel.  I caught part of it Sunday.  It was pretty cool.  Check it out if you get a chance.

It sure as heck made me want something to drink... :)

An Irishman getting upset for how *I* pronounce something?  Now that's novel.

That's fecking hilarious.

You can call him whatever you want, but if you call him "Patty" you should expect most good Irishmen to give you a page and a half of internet ######.

Quite so.

Or far worse if you're at the pub.

Some things, young Jedi, aren't sensical and aren't up for debate. It's St. Paddy's Day.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This is more accurate than my post.

Patrick is an English/French/Norman name.  Padraig is Gaelic.  St.Patrick made the name common in Ireland, but they assumed the Gaelic for its shorthand.

Gatdammit, teaching these cretins makes me thirsty for a whiskey.

Can I sit on your lap while you tell me the story? Pweez.

Hosted our annual St. Patrick's day party this weekend....

65 guests and 12 corned beef briskets, cabbage etc.

Homebrewed irish stout and some local craft beer on the jockey box.

And of course the Jameson....the fargin Jameson.

Here I sit at work with cheek and neck tree rash due to a "yardwork mishap"

• 2 weeks later...

anyone ever had Orphan Barrel Bourbon's?  If you can find some try BarterHouse, it has a nice smooth finish especially if you give it a couple of drops of water.  It has this sweet and spicy flavor that is really good IMPO.

I've had 2 of the 4, including Barterhouse.  I liked it well enough but its not a $100 bottle.  Over-hyped, like so much whiskey today.

I've had 2 of the 4, including Barterhouse.  I liked it well enough but its not a $100 bottle.  Over-hyped, like so much whiskey today.

I would agree with that.  I had it out, didn't realize a bottle was that much.  I would rather spend 30$ on something that tastes almost as good.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.  So too sober tonight.  I decided to steam-clean upstairs carpets rather than drink with the boys for Game 7.  (Smart move.  Holy ######, I need to stop wearing shoes upstairs.)  This, unfortunately, leaves me a little insomniac.  Or a lot insomniac.  Sleep is tough for me; always has been.

I've got a Christmas bottle of Woodford downstairs, but no ice.  (Don't get me started on the ice maker.)   About 15 minutes ago, I decide to pour 2 oz, and open it up with a bit of tap water.  I take a good slug--like half the glass (so about 1.1 or 1.2 oz, like a shot at a bar that's generous).  

I nearly spat it out.

What makes such a nice sipping whisky such a bad "downing" whisky?  How does this happen?  If it was JD, I wouldn't have bothered with the tap water.

In any event.  I want to wake up before 7 tomorrow, so down goes the other half...

Edited by Eleven

Ok.  So too sober tonight.  I decided to steam-clean upstairs carpets rather than drink with the boys for Game 7.  (Smart move.  Holy ######, I need to stop wearing shoes upstairs.)  This, unfortunately, leaves me a little insomniac.  Or a lot insomniac.  Sleep is tough for me; always has been.

I've got a Christmas bottle of Woodford downstairs, but no ice.  (Don't get me started on the ice maker.)   About 15 minutes ago, I decide to pour 2 oz, and open it up with a bit of tap water.  I take a good slug--like half the glass (so about 1.1 or 1.2 oz, like a shot at a bar that's generous).  

I nearly spat it out.

What makes such a nice sipping whisky such a bad "downing" whisky?  How does this happen?  If it was JD, I wouldn't have bothered with the tap water.

In any event.  I want to wake up before 7 tomorrow, so down goes the other half...

Words I utter as infrequently as humanly possible.

Words I utter as infrequently as humanly possible.

School doesn't last forever, my man!

Anyway.   Just had the second slug.  I don't know why I thought it would be better than the first.  It was not.

I need to (1) resume going out for happy hour on weeknights (not likely); (2) get some good ol' sleepin' drugs, or (3) buy some gosh darn shootin' whisky.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.