Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Oban 18? Glenlivet 21? Will really depend on what they normally drink (Speyside, Islay, etc). Nfreeman seemed to know his scotch and can probably assist more (haven't seen Braedon in ages).

And that Amazon review IKP found is hilarious.

I finally found a micro distilled bourbon that I thought was worthy of comparison with the stuff the big boys put out.

It's called Widow Jane and comes from a distillery in Brooklyn. Bottle sez it is a 10 year old bourbon. Deep, rich color. really nice barrel notes. I had just a sample of it so I didn't get a chance to really give it a fair shake but what little I had struck me as good whiskey.

Oh, and there is another local distillery getting ready to put product out. I caught a posting for a new whiskey label approval by the TTB. Buffalo Distilling in Alden, NY received approval for a label for One Foot ###### bourbon. Usually label approval is the final step before releasing a new spirit to market. Classy. https://www.ttbonlin...=13358001000066

OK, the censored word is a four letter word for a rooster. Clock without the L.

Edited by weave

I finally found a micro distilled bourbon that I thought was worthy of comparison with the stuff the big boys put out.

It's called Widow Jane and comes from a distillery in Brooklyn. Bottle sez it is a 10 year old bourbon. Deep, rich color. really nice barrel notes. I had just a sample of it so I didn't get a chance to really give it a fair shake but what little I had struck me as good whiskey.

Oh, and there is another local distillery getting ready to put product out. I caught a posting for a new whiskey label approval by the TTB. Buffalo Distilling in Alden, NY received approval for a label for One Foot ###### bourbon. Usually label approval is the final step before releasing a new spirit to market. Classy. https://www.ttbonlin...=13358001000066

OK, the censored word is a four letter word for a rooster. Clock without the L.

I like that the sub title is "The Original Humdinger"

classy is right. :)

• 1 month later...

I don't like it one bit. The rest of the world figuring it out means prices for my favorite beverages increase, proofs drop to meet demand, and my favorite labels drop their age statements and put out younger whiskey to meet demand.

No sir, Don't like it one bit.

I think you should dig a bunker:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/great-whiskey-shortage

Owner of my favorite bar just sent me a text. He managed to get a bottle of 15yr Pappy Van Winkle. I know what I am drinking on Friday. I've never had any of the Pappy's. I haven't so much as seen a bottle in a long time. I hope the experience matches my expectations.

Is it good or bad that I am getting phone calls from the bar owner telling me when he gets interesting beer and booze?

Without reading the bold line I was already going to comment that getting texts from your bartender of your favorite bar (and not your wife at your bar in the basement) is probably a sign that you may want to go attend some meetings.........

That sounds like something that would happen with Barney from the Simpsons

• 5 weeks later...

Jamesons 12 yr is some tasty stuff. Tonight it's back to a Bulleit Rye old fashioned. Man, I missed these.

I've been hitting alot of rye lately. Bulleit, Templeton, Jim Beem Rye, all from the same distillery but aged different. All good in my book.

On a differnet note, look for this bottle in your liquor store soon. It is a start up distillery in Rochester that a good friend of mine is involved with. They are making Irish style whiskeys. I've had samples and it is damned fine stuff. They are doing real good things on their pot still. First barrels will be ready to bottle very soon.

IMG_97321_zps098f6c35.jpg

Good to know; will keep an eye out!

Side note: that's an empty bottle, right (not clear liquor)?

That is an empty bottle but their first product on the shelves will be unaged Irish style whiskey (Poitin is basically Irish moonshine but all grain). They are using malted barley and oats. The stuff I've sampled was really impressive. Real smooth and real flavorful.

Irish whisky is but a gateway to real whisky.

:P

That is an empty bottle but their first product on the shelves will be unaged Irish style whiskey (Poitin is basically Irish moonshine but all grain). They are using malted barley and oats. The stuff I've sampled was really impressive. Real smooth and real flavorful.

Nice!

Edited by biodork

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty nice score today. Found a 1.75L bottle of Larceny bourbon for $39.99. With a $20 rebate! Larceny is darned nice stuff. It is a wheated bourbon made by Heaven Hill.

My sister is getting married next summer in Kentucky (And not to a family member!!!!) If I make it back, I'm pretty sure I'll need to replace my rear shocks from the 600 miles of overweight travel.

My sister is getting married next summer in Kentucky (And not to a family member!!!!) If I make it back, I'm pretty sure I'll need to replace my rear shocks from the 600 miles of overweight travel.

While you are down there hunt down a bottle of Ancient Age. Not distributed outside of Kentucky and it is the same recipe as Blanton's but aged differently. Supposed to be delicious stuff.

Managed to get my hands on a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean last week. It's a bit hot neat, but opens up nicely with a little water. For the price I think I was hoping for some kind of bourbon epiphany, but I do like it and the flavor profile is interesting and different from the others I've tried.

• 3 weeks later...

After loving the Lagavulin 16, my first (Is)lay, I picked up bottles of Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig 10. It'll be my first bottles of each, though I seem to remember tasting Laphroaig about a decade ago with a novice tongue. Definitely looking forward to these.

Yeah. Scotch and laundry tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, update on my friend's distillery project in Rochester. Look for O'Begley's Irish style unaged whiskey in a bar and/or liquor store near you. They are officially selling. First release is their unaged Irish style whiskey, but an aged version of the same stuff will be out soon enough. I've personally had the unaged product. It is really tasty stuff. Dangerously smooth. If you like Irish style whiskeys I can unabashedly recommend this one.

Obegleys_Poitin_zpsf9dd5016.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.