Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Well, lookie here. I had never seen this thread, long though I have lurked.

I'm told that I'll be enjoying some "Bullet" bourbon this evening. I am sure I spelled that wrong. I should just open a tab and Google it. Well, anyway ... we saw-heard this bourbon mentioned on an episode of Louie of all things, and now it's on the cocktail menu tonight.

Are we supposed to drink it straight - whether neat, with water or a cube - or make a Manhattan out of it?

Well, lookie here. I had never seen this thread, long though I have lurked.

I'm told that I'll be enjoying some "Bullet" bourbon this evening. I am sure I spelled that wrong. I should just open a tab and Google it. Well, anyway ... we saw-heard this bourbon mentioned on an episode of Louie of all things, and now it's on the cocktail menu tonight.

Are we supposed to drink it straight - whether neat, with water or a cube - or make a Manhattan out of it?

All of the above. Bulliet is good enough to drink neat, but noone would look sideways at you for making a Manhattan out of it. If your host has the fixings, try it in an Old fashioned.

All of the above. Bulliet is good enough to drink neat, but noone would look sideways at you for making a Manhattan out of it. If your host has the fixings, try it in an Old fashioned.

If it's their high-rye content bourbon (the one with the green label), it's even better for making Manhattans.

If it's their high-rye content bourbon (the one with the green label), it's even better for making Manhattans.

Absolutely -- love a Bulleit Rye Old Fashioned!

Thanks, all. We had Manhattan fixings. Old Fashioneds next time (what's in them, how made?). Our drinks were delicious. I now understand all the fuss about the return to rye. That grain is funky!

Old Fashioneds are easy to make.

1 orange slice

1 Marashino cherry

1.5 oz bourbon or rye ( or a little more )

2 to 5 dashes of bitters (I like mine with 4 or 5 dashes)

1 tsp simple syrup (you can substitute plain white sugar)

ice

club soda is optional

Simple syrup is easy to make. It is 50/50 water and sugar. Heat the water to dissolve the sugar and then cool it to room temp. You can substitute plain sugar but the simple syrup dissolves more easily in the drink. Sugar tends to leave granules in the bottom of the glass.

Place the fruit in the bottom of a whiskey glass, add the simple syrup (or sugar) and the bitters. Muddle the fruit, sugar, and bitters. Muddling is basically squishing/crushing them to get the juices and aromatic oils out of them. The handle end of a wooden spoon works fine in a pinch. Add the ice and bourbon/rye.

Some folks like to top off the glass with a couple oz of club soda. I like just a splash of club soda in mine.

Edited by weave

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for the bourbon drinkers. All of the major distilleries are running at capacity not seen in decades. Granted, we won't see the fruits of this for a few years.

http://chuckcowdery....nning-full.html

More on the ramp-up in production:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/bourbon-production-reaches-high-point-70s

In a business where patience is part of the process, Kentucky bourbon makers are making a big bet by stashing away their largest stockpiles in more than a generation.

To put it in bartenders' lingo: Distillers are putting up the tab for millions of rounds of bourbon years before they are even ordered. The production poses an inherent risk, but hitting the moment right — a big supply meshing with big demand — could mean a serious payday for companies big and small.

• 1 month later...

Coming to a liquor store near you..... My buddies whiskey distillery is starting to put aged Irish style whiskey into distribution. the unaged stuff is in a number of liquor stores around Rochester, and he even has it in a couple high end cocktail bars in NYC. This is the first of the aged stuff. I haven't had it yet, but will soon. I know the unaged whiskey was incredibly smooth and had gorgeous grain notes. can't wait to get my mitts on the barrel aged stuff.

Obegleys_zpsb30f9a80.jpg

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, weave. And confirming what many of us already knew: Elijah Craig 12 yr is a fantastic cheap bourbon.

http://liquor.com/sl...heap-bourbon/#1

Not into spending upwards of $80 on a bottle of bourbon? We get that. We also know it can be hard to sort through the less expensive bourbon options while being sure you’re buying quality whiskey.

That’s why we asked the whiskey aficionados of DrinkWire, our community of the best spirits and cocktail bloggers, to help us sort through the overwhelming—and overpopulated—liquor store whiskey aisle to find the best tasting bourbons that cost less than $30.

• 1 month later...

Something new for me to try at my neighborhood whiskey bar.

It seems that with all the attention that whiskey is getting these days, real good value bourbons have almost disappeared. The good value labels like Weller and Elijah Craig are using younger whiskeys and/or ending up priced closer to premium points.

From what I have been reading one of the few real nice value labels left is Old Grandad 114. Not bottom shelf Grandad, but near barrel proof, extra aged 114. It still runs under $30/750ml and consistently gets high ranks for complexity and depth of character.

After some pleading, the owner of my favorite neighborhood bar ordered a bottle. So, I have a new whiskey to try on Friday.

He also got a bottle of Elmer T Lee. We are going to do a side by side of Elmer, Rock Hill, and Blantons. Supposedly they are all the same recipe.

*giddy*

How does one go about becoming a client of Callaway?

Bookers is part of Jim Beam's Small Batch collection. Off hand I am not sure if 25yr is the "regular" Bookers. It might be an upgrade. "Regular" Booker's is really nice stuff IMO.

Edited by weave

To me, Buffalo Trace is one of the best bourbons at almost any price. I think there is a fair amount of "quasi-artisinal" bourbon out there that just doesn't rise to the next level.

For Irish, I love Redbreast 12, but Bushmills 10 is good everyday stuff for the money.

Scotch, I just love Talisker 10, and like pretty much all but the sweet stuff (which I don't dislike).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.