Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

What bourbon would ya'll suggest for Mint Juleps? I'm going to attempt a 1 gallon batch of Mint Julep beer for the Kentucky Derby, and I've got to soak oak chips in bourbon to toss in the secondary. I figure whatever I have left over will go towards the real Mint Juleps for that day.

I would go with something like Old Granddad for that, too.  You want something that is going to stand up to the mint and sugar.

Mmmmm... Where can I get me a bottle of that? Is there a whiskey with a hint of skid marked underwear? How about a fromunda cheese note in a Bourbon?

Glad you enjoyed that.

There was a bottle of rye I received last year -- some super small batch artisinal organic thing -- that was so funky that (1) I could not even think about drinking it neat (and, man, I will drank just about N-EE-thang) and (2) it approached that gym sock/fromunda territory.

But it was really excellent in a Manhattan. I mean, you could almost go 1:1 with vermouth and still have a decent drink.

Edited by That Aud Smell

In preparation for the upcoming holiday (3/17), a list of worthwhile Irish whiskeys:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/bars/10-best-irish-whiskey-bottles?cid=TOL|DD|EM|||2015-03-13T20:47:55

I think the only ones I've had are Jameson and Kilbeggan.

I drank way more at my pi-day party to consider drinking tomorrow, even if I had something Irish around. I'll still be eating left-over home-made corned beef though.

In preparation for the upcoming holiday (3/17), a list of worthwhile Irish whiskeys:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/bars/10-best-irish-whiskey-bottles?cid=TOL|DD|EM|||2015-03-13T20:47:55

I think the only ones I've had are Jameson and Kilbeggan.

I had some Tullamore Dew 12 year last year for St Patty's. Yum!

Yeah but Padraig comes from the latin Patricius, which is the same origin as Patricia, which means Patty should be perfectly acceptable. Their logic seems flawed. 

Yeah, the Irish, what do they know about Irish names!  :P

[insert some appropriate number of smileys so you know that I'm saying this thoroughly tongue-in-cheek.]

Then why is Patrick spelled with a t? That consonant seems to be the deciding factor. 

LOL   Not sure why you are arguing this.  They chose Paddy to shorten the masculine version.  What's the point of reading any more into it than they wanted to differentiate masculine from feminine?

LOL   Not sure why you are arguing this.  They chose Paddy to shorten the masculine version.  What's the point of reading any more into it than they wanted to differentiate masculine from feminine?

Shouldn't it be Padrick? Just trying to figure out why the t is out. 

Shouldn't it be Padrick? Just trying to figure out why the t is out. 

Patrick is not Gaelic.  St. Patrick wasn't even Irish.  But he was sainted for his work in Ireland.  The shorthand was Gaelic-ized and made different from the feminine shorthand.

Edited by weave

because the English ruin everything.

This is more accurate than my post.

Patrick is an English/French/Norman name.  Padraig is Gaelic.  St.Patrick made the name common in Ireland, but they assumed the Gaelic for its shorthand.

Gatdammit, teaching these cretins makes me thirsty for a whiskey.

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.