Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Game One

Sabres at Flyers

4-14-2011

7:30 PM start

This will be the ninth time the Flyers and Sabres have met in the postseason. Philadelphia holds a 5-3 edge, including a win in the 1975 Stanley Cup Final. However, the Sabres have won their two most recent matchups, in the first round of the 2001 and 2006 playoffs, both times in six games.

http://sabres.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=68947

Buenos Dias Sabres Nation!

Checking in from Barcelona, Spain and can not wait. I am pretty sure I am going to have to listen to the game on the GR App but that will just give me memories as a kid listening to JR!

I have a ticket for Game 4 and can't wait to get home and cheer our team on!

Give Em Hell Boys! :devil:

He"double hockey sticks" yeah bring on the hockey.

Watched Pens-Tampa, Det-Pho, and Caps-Rags switching between all those games last night and that got my hockey juices flowing.

Wow playoff hockey is different, you just can't expect much room out on the ice and every inch needs to be contested for.

I can't wait to see how the Sabs rise up to meet the physical challenge predicted by the Fly boys.

Today can't go fast enough. Let's get it started.

Let's Go Buff'a'lo.

I expect the game tonight to follow three definite phases:

1. First Period, Phase I. Both teams hit anything that moves. Buffalo will come out and try to match or exceed the throttling that Philly plans to hand out. Wouldn't surprise me to see both teams combine for 30 hits in the first. I don't think a goal will be scored.

2. Second Period, Phase II. Actually begins late in the first as the Sabres begin laying off the hit-first mentality and begin looking for open ice and opportunity. Philly too will slow the pace of hits but not as much as Buffalo will. Skating will open up for both teams especially with the long change in the second. This is the time and space for Buffalo to get a goal or two. Their second period efforts over the last month have been pretty positive. I fully expect a one-goal lead by the Sabres end of two.

3. Third Period, Phase III. Buffalo takes foot off the gas pedal and goes into NJ-mode. They start collapsing the defense around Miller. Buffalo hitting is all but a memory now. Philly hitting amps up as they face a one-goal deficit and the clock. Buffalo makes an occasional foray into Philly end, but almost immediately the play goes back the other way. And then one frozen moment in time as a player like Gerbe/Pominville/Boyes makes a break and beats the goalie for a two-goal lead with about seven minutes to play. At that point it is full blown Alamo mode with a frenetic finish. No empty netter to be had and what seems like an unending last 90 seconds with Miller freezing the puck as often as he can.

1. First Period, Phase I. Both teams hit anything that moves. Buffalo will come out and try to match or exceed the throttling that Philly plans to hand out. Wouldn't surprise me to see both teams combine for 30 hits in the first. I don't think a goal will be scored.

2. Second Period, Phase II. Actually begins late in the first as the Sabres begin laying off the hit-first mentality and begin looking for open ice and opportunity. Philly too will slow the pace of hits but not as much as Buffalo will. Skating will open up for both teams especially with the long change in the second. This is the time and space for Buffalo to get a goal or two. Their second period efforts over the last month have been pretty positive. I fully expect a one-goal lead by the Sabres end of two.

3. Third Period, Phase III. Buffalo takes foot off the gas pedal and goes into NJ-mode. They start collapsing the defense around Miller. Buffalo hitting is all but a memory now. Philly hitting amps up as they face a one-goal deficit and the clock. Buffalo makes an occasional foray into Philly end, but almost immediately the play goes back the other way. And then one frozen moment in time as a player like Gerbe/Pominville/Boyes makes a break and beats the goalie for a two-goal lead with about seven minutes to play. At that point it is full blown Alamo mode with a frenetic finish. No empty netter to be had and what seems like an unending last 90 seconds with Miller freezing the puck as often as he can.

If this scenario were to come to fruition I'd have to say going NJ would not be the wisest thing for them to do. They have more speed than Philly and need to not let up one second of one game!!!!!!!!!! NO HOLDS BARRED!!!!! LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!

If this scenario were to come to fruition I'd have to say going NJ would not be the wisest thing for them to do. They have more speed than Philly and need to not let up one second of one game!!!!!!!!!! NO HOLDS BARRED!!!!! LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!

Yep that's the thing. It's what Ruff always does. To expect it to be different should this scenario hold is just wishful thinking.

Think MSG and the Sabres put together any sort of montage to open the broadcast tonight? I'm thinking back to the "Better Days" production featuring the Goo Goo Dolls prior to the 06-07 playoffs. That one gave me chills.

very nice.

Think MSG and the Sabres put together any sort of montage to open the broadcast tonight? I'm thinking back to the "Better Days" production featuring the Goo Goo Dolls prior to the 06-07 playoffs. That one gave me chills.

Definitely.

Separately: this is a no-kidding comment, but compared to last year, I feel like I'll be more psyched if the Sabres win this series and more disappointed if they lose.

very nice.

Definitely.

Separately: this is a no-kidding comment, but compared to last year, I feel like I'll be more psyched if the Sabres win this series and more disappointed if they lose.

I will only be disappointed if they are sitting on their hands and lose. If they go down fighting I will write this season off as "the season in which we woke the f*** up" and be happy.

that better days thing was purely a sabres' production, i believe.

while i appreciated the effort and production value, i immediately felt jinxy about the whole thing. i can't say i'm anxious for that sort of thing to be repeated.

that said, i'm sure that they'll put together a nice montage of sabres' playoff history and overdub it with some inspiring music.

but i'm hoping we don't see another music video.

the feeling is entirely different this year.

that better days thing was purely a sabres' production, i believe.

while i appreciated the effort and production value, i immediately felt jinxy about the whole thing. i can't say i'm anxious for that sort of thing to be repeated.

that said, i'm sure that they'll put together a nice montage of sabres' playoff history and overdub it with some inspiring music.

but i'm hoping we don't see another music video.

the feeling is entirely different this year.

I'll disagree with you on the "jinxy" part. The friggin' Hurricanes had one during their Cup run -- set to Springsteen's 'The Rising.' As much as I hate to admit it, it was pretty damn good.

Archived