GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

spndnchz

Thoughts:

1) Myers saved his hide with that goal

2) Vanek is back with a vengeance - first time since that injury a couple years ago - STAY HEALTHY PLEASE

3) This team could really make it easier on themselves if they had any sort of a power play

4) good to see Connolly as a healthy scratch :unsure:

Wow another great game. 5th OT in a row and won 4 out of 5. This team looks like it is starting to learn how to win.

The top line, Roy,Vanek and Ennis looks great and like they are building some chemistry. Congratulations Thomas on your twin boys and proud daddy showing us how hockey is meant to be played. Now just imagine if our 2nd line could actually contribute anything consistent. Hecht, Pommers and Connolly are too scrambly and just not clicking and continue to not generate anything but frustration. The 3rd and fourth lines pretty much did their jobs and actually had better chances than the 2nd.

I also agree with others posting here the defense has looked much better with these pairings lately, Monty/Leopold, Meyers/Sekera, Butler/Morrison. Nice to see Meyers redeem himself after that penalty they scored on.

They may have been playing it a little too safe to start the 3rd and started to look a little out of sorts at times but you do have to give credit to the Canucks for causing some of that. The Canucks are a good exciting team to watch and do generate some real good offense. Hey Lindy maybe we could learn something from their PP film.

Just another good team win. Still need a lot more of this. I do like what the Ray said about the tough schedule they have facing them. Makes sure they know no cakewalks coming up and they need to show up every night and be ready to try and put in 60 minutes. I am still waiitng for that game every hockey team gets where they convert majority of their chances instead of the near misses we have been seeing game in and out, Wednesday on the road would be nice.

Wow another great game. 5th OT in a row and won 4 out of 5. This team looks like it is starting to learn how to win.

The top line, Roy,Vanek and Ennis looks great and like they are building some chemistry.

Interesting to see what that line has been doing. Roy has been taking the draws and moving to the RW....Leaving Vanek to carry the puck through the middle.

It opens Vanek higher in the slot and gives him room to work.

They are looking dangerous. Love how Ennis sticks his 99.8 lbs into traffic in the crease.

I know Rick likes his cold beverages -- I wonder if he's been sipping from the fountain of youth.

He's shortened the "scoooooooore" call way up at home and gone back to his roots, as Eleven likes to say. "Theft of the century!" was spontaneous, out of nowhere and little kooky -- classic Jeanneret.

Interesting to see what that line has been doing. Roy

They are looking dangerous. Love how Ennis sticks his 99.8 lbs into traffic in the crease.

and how good Ennis is along the boards and on the forecheck. Small players can be very effect in those areas. So much of that is skating abilty, agility and smarts. Size isn't everything in hockey. And I'm not saying that as a small person, just the respect I've gained against those smaller players that give me hell on the ice, lol

I know Rick likes his cold beverages -- I wonder if he's been sipping from the fountain of youth.

He's shortened the "scoooooooore" call way up at home and gone back to his roots, as Eleven likes to say. "Theft of the century!" was spontaneous, out of nowhere and little kooky -- classic Jeanneret.

It was perfect, I got chills.

and how good Ennis is along the boards and on the forecheck. Small players can be very effect in those areas. So much of that is skating abilty, agility and smarts. Size isn't everything in hockey. And I'm not saying that as a small person, just the respect I've gained against those smaller players that give me hell on the ice, lol

17 shots for that line.

I can't remember the last time a line in Buffalo has had over 15.

Those first three periods were definately worth it for the OT. But, considering it was a Monday-night crowd, it was a pretty good crowd prior to the OT. It was pretty intense to be in the building - I've never been to a playoff game, but I could imagine that is what it must be like.

17 shots for that line.

I can't remember the last time a line in Buffalo has had over 15.

Time for Ruff to admit that we do indeed have a legit no.1 line and to start giving Vanek-Roy-Ennis as much ice time as possible. It's not like our other lines are doing anything.

I was hoping all summer to see Vanek back on the right side and now that he's back there, that line is going really well. I don't know what happened to Hecht-Connolly-Pommer. They've never been a #1 line, but they've played a lot better in years past when the other scoring line was Vanek-Roy-Stafford. Now that they have more of a legitimate top line, they should be more effective, not less.

I was hoping all summer to see Vanek back on the right side and now that he's back there, that line is going really well. I don't know what happened to Hecht-Connolly-Pommer. They've never been a #1 line, but they've played a lot better in years past when the other scoring line was Vanek-Roy-Stafford. Now that they have more of a legitimate top line, they should be more effective, not less.

Ruff mentioned this in the post-game interview.

Wow! Both teams decided to skate including Vanek... Noice, but really why wait til overtime to turn it up...

I think with one point in the bank against a team from the other conference, the incentives were there to play a riskier, more wide-open game. Very exciting, but conceptually different from the first 60 minutes.

How you like me now?

Yeah, baby.

Vanek's play completely changes the dynamic of the team. His recent play has not been just great it's been dominate. As much I was not a big fan of Briere I will say Vanek play with the puck is Briere like. Briere's strong suit wasn't that he wanted the puck. He went and got the puck and did things with it. Vanek isn't standing around looking for the puck. He is fighting for it and skating like he has a demon in his arce.

RJ had the call: "Mrs. Vanek may not like this, but they should have twins every day."

The last few games are the best I can remember Vanek playing in his career.

Can't call him Thomas Vanish anymore!

It's just a few games, and after a horrible start to the season. Let's see 20 games or so of consistently strong play before we say the great Vanek is here to stay.

3) This team could really make it easier on themselves if they had any sort of a power play

4) good to see Connolly as a healthy scratch :unsure:

That PP is awful. And right on about TC. He was basically invisible, as was that line other than Hecht's bonehead offensive-zone penalty that led to a PPG for Vancouver. $14MM for that line. Ridiculous.

The top line, Roy,Vanek and Ennis looks great and like they are building some chemistry. Congratulations Thomas on your twin boys and proud daddy showing us how hockey is meant to be played. Now just imagine if our 2nd line could actually contribute anything consistent. Hecht, Pommers and Connolly are too scrambly and just not clicking and continue to not generate anything but frustration. The 3rd and fourth lines pretty much did their jobs and actually had better chances than the 2nd.

I also agree with others posting here the defense has looked much better with these pairings lately, Monty/Leopold, Meyers/Sekera, Butler/Morrison. Nice to see Meyers redeem himself after that penalty they scored on.

They may have been playing it a little too safe to start the 3rd and started to look a little out of sorts at times but you do have to give credit to the Canucks for causing some of that. The Canucks are a good exciting team to watch and do generate some real good offense. Hey Lindy maybe we could learn something from their PP film.

Just another good team win. Still need a lot more of this. I do like what the Ray said about the tough schedule they have facing them. Makes sure they know no cakewalks coming up and they need to show up every night and be ready to try and put in 60 minutes. I am still waiitng for that game every hockey team gets where they convert majority of their chances instead of the near misses we have been seeing game in and out, Wednesday on the road would be nice.

Good post.

Interesting to see what that line has been doing. Roy has been taking the draws and moving to the RW....Leaving Vanek to carry the puck through the middle.

That line is really good right now. I think Ennis is now #2 in rookie scoring -- and on the top line of a division winner to boot.

With the way he carries the puck on his right, skating hard and shielding it with his body, Vanek just seems naturally suited to play RW. As for that $14MM 2nd line -- this is pure speculation, but I think TC has one foot out the door. And Pommer and Hecht just aren't that good on offense. They're decent, but each is making more than double what he's worth.

Anyway, that was a great win.

Well, it was the perfect script for me. My Sabres got the two points, the Canucks got one, I'm thrilled. And so happy to see Myers get the winner. He's got balls, I tell ya. If he misses that clearance it's a two on one the other way with 20 secs to go.

Great win, although their start was poor. Lucky to score on their first shot.

Connolly was flat out robbed in the 2nd period late.