GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

spndnchz

15 x 1gm for WC

10 x 4gm for EC/non-NE

4 x 6gm for NE

=79 games

So, we get three WC teams twice. Last year, if I remember, included Detroit and Chicago (can't remember the third; maybe the Ducks?)

Too late!

I'm kind of surprised by who the three teams are this year. With three extra games, I assumed it would always be one from each division. That obviously makes the structure of the schedule easier, where they could do the NFL thing of playing the teams that finished in the same position as you. But I guess scheduling 82 games can be a bit of a nightmare.

This really needs to happen. I know Lindy is letting Myers play through his slump but that should not be the case with the living blow up doll - he needs to be demoted today

I know that the Tin Man has been brutal this year but I really don't think Needs has been much better. I barely notice him unless it's a bonehead mistake.

Say what you will about Myers, but the kid continues to impress. Yes, he's struggled at times this year, but a guy with his character and skill set is hard to come by. He's the future of this team. And I love his nerve. Most guys would have peeled off and defend and he just went for it and got the winner. Speaking of winning goals, he now has 3 of the team's 7 game winning goals.

I <3 this from Roy today:

"I want to be an elite player in this league," Roy said. "I don't want to cruise through my career and just get 60, 70 points or whatever. I think that's a part of being a human being and growing up. Whatever you do in life, you want to be skilled at it. You want to be the best. I'm trying to approach it that way every day."

He gets it eh? finally?

"I want to be an elite player in this league," Roy said. "I don't want to cruise through my career and just get 60, 70 points or whatever. I think that's a part of being a human being and growing up. Whatever you do in life, you want to be skilled at it. You want to be the best. I'm trying to approach it that way every day."

He gets it eh? finally?

yeah i read that online earlier and i am hoping the same thing. so far he sure is playing like he gets it though.

He gets it eh? finally?

I hope they're all starting to get it. It's good to see the emotion from this team over the last couple games. Next step: consistency

I hope they're all starting to get it. It's good to see the emotion from this team over the last couple games. Next step: consistency

Vanek will be the one to watch, for postpartum depression. What if drives the team bus into a lake? OK, on second thought, not really funny.

A consistent 30-50-80 player, especially one that is also strong defensively, will cost you more than $5.3 million in today's NHL. 25-45-70 is probably more like it. For reference, one player per team, on average, scored 70 points or more last year.

His point still stands though - A 5.3 mill. player needs to be able to a do a heckuva lot more than kill penalties.

Much like a 3.2 mill. guys needs to be able to a lot more than win faceoffs.... *cough*... Goose... *cough*

Maybe drop Connolly to the third or fourth line and promote Niedermeyer two number two and bring up Luke Adam again. Do not under any circumstances bring Stafford back unless he is going to play the fourth line with Connolly. Other than that stupid Penalty by Hecht, I thought he was the only one hustling on that line.

The Population of Pominville with a one was named Jocken... cause both Pommer and Connolly were on vacation.

P.S. Anyone know that status of Kaleta?

GR says that Kaleta is out with a sternum injury. Gerbe has been cleared to play and will take Kaletas place .

His point still stands though - A 5.3 mill. player needs to be able to a do a heckuva lot more than kill penalties.

Much like a 3.2 mill. guys needs to be able to a lot more than win faceoffs.... *cough*... Goose... *cough*

Gaustad - 2.5 M Salary - 2.3 M Cap hit.

Although me being a faceoff geek, I thought Manny Malhotra winning all those defensive zone draws killed about 2-3 minutes of Buffalo PP.

He gets it eh? finally?

It's about freaking time that underachieving little punk finally grew up and realized that alot of folks have alot of money invested in seeing him perform and he finally feels obligated to try his best.

Whatever drugs they fed Roy and Vanek, they need to double the dose for Connolly.

We've all ragged on the musical selection at the arena, but you've gotta admit -- playing "How you like me now?" after Myers' goal was pretty awesome. Really wish the broadcast would stick around a little longer before handing it off to Kevin.

I wish they'd NEVER hand it off to him.

Obtuse. Must you continue to pretend that $5.3MM spent on Pommer has no effect on spending that as a result cannot occur elsewhere?

It "can" affect spending elsewhere, but has it? The Sabres couldn't sign free agents last summer because they couldn't convince anyone to come here. I don't think money was the issue. I think we're still about $5M under the cap. I don't think the Sabres have had to make a decision based on being up against the salary cap since Summer 2006.

Any time you sign a player to a long term contract, either as a free agent or to keep him from getting to free agency, you're going to pay more than you want. Because the players know that if you don't, one of the other 29 teams will.

Pominville is a "good" player. He's not really a star player. His stats this year are going to be terrible mostly due to his injury to start the year (I still can't believe he's already back and worry that he rushed back). If he goes back to scored 25+ goals every 82 games with a good +/-, he's definitely a contract we can live with.

He'd benefit from having better players on his line, but our three best forwards are all on one line and after that it's Pominville and a grab bag of disappointment.

It "can" affect spending elsewhere, but has it? The Sabres couldn't sign free agents last summer because they couldn't convince anyone to come here. I don't think money was the issue. I think we're still about $5M under the cap. I don't think the Sabres have had to make a decision based on being up against the salary cap since Summer 2006.

Any time you sign a player to a long term contract, either as a free agent or to keep him from getting to free agency, you're going to pay more than you want. Because the players know that if you don't, one of the other 29 teams will.

Pominville is a "good" player. He's not really a star player. His stats this year are going to be terrible mostly due to his injury to start the year (I still can't believe he's already back and worry that he rushed back). If he goes back to scored 25+ goals every 82 games with a good +/-, he's definitely a contract we can live with.

He'd benefit from having better players on his line, but our three best forwards are all on one line and after that it's Pominville and a grab bag of disappointment.

Any support for the bolded statement? The Sabres did sign two veteran UFA defenseman to decent contracts. They didn't get a couple of 2nd-tier forwards they had targeted, but that's a far cry from "couldn't convince anyone to come here."

As for being under the cap -- for them, the NHL cap isn't the driver, it's their internal budget. They're spending about $55MM on payroll this year. With those 3 overpaid guys gone next year, there will be close to $10MM to spend on their replacements -- and that is just to get back to this year's payroll #. Weber will probably be Rivet's replacement, and he's cheap, so that will leave about $9MM to spend on 2 forwards. Or do you think they will just reduce their payroll by $9MM?

Finally, as stated above, I could also live with Pommer's contract at 25 goals and a good +/-, but ONLY if he produces at a comparable rate in the playoffs. His disappearing act last spring (and he wasn't the only one), was totally unacceptable.

Any support for the bolded statement? The Sabres did sign two veteran UFA defenseman to decent contracts. They didn't get a couple of 2nd-tier forwards they had targeted, but that's a far cry from "couldn't convince anyone to come here."

Koivu and Cullen didn't want to come here. The only player we signed who might have had offers elsewhere was Leopold. We also got Morrison and Niedermeyer after no one else was all that interested (and the results have been depressing).

As for being under the cap -- for them, the NHL cap isn't the driver, it's their internal budget. They're spending about $55MM on payroll this year. With those 3 overpaid guys gone next year, there will be close to $10MM to spend on their replacements -- and that is just to get back to this year's payroll #. Weber will probably be Rivet's replacement, and he's cheap, so that will leave about $9MM to spend on 2 forwards. Or do you think they will just reduce their payroll by $9MM?

Which three overpaid players are gone after this year? Connolly and --?? (Not being a smartass. I don't know who else you're talking about.)

I wouldn't be shocked if they did just reduce payroll by $9M. I don't know who will be available or who will want to come here. Even if a good player is available, are we going to want to offer anyone a 10 year contract? It's not just money/season, I don't know if the Sabres are willing to commit to a free agent for as long as some other teams would.

Also, the Sabres know they're going to have to spend a lot of money to keep Myers here long term. Hopefully Ennis also ends up good enough that we give him a long deal too.

Right or wrong, Regier's philosophy is to build the team from the draft. If we give out big contracts, I expect them to mainly be to guys who are already on the team.

Finally, as stated above, I could also live with Pommer's contract at 25 goals and a good +/-, but ONLY if he produces at a comparable rate in the playoffs. His disappearing act last spring (and he wasn't the only one), was totally unacceptable.

Given that I don't remember anything about Pominville in the playoffs last year, you're probably right here. But like I said, he's "good", but not a star. I could see him getting shut down for six games. I don't think he's hopeless though. I think he can (and will) do better than that.

Given that I don't remember anything about Pominville in the playoffs last year, you're probably right here. But like I said, he's "good", but not a star. I could see him getting shut down for six games. I don't think he's hopeless though. I think he can (and will) do better than that.

Pommers led the team in playoff points last year, tied with Ennis. Other guys 'disappeared' a lot more than him.

Nfreeman, you want him to do 25 goals in 82 games right? or score in 30% of the time right? And continue into the playoffs, right?

Last year playoffs he scored 2 goals in six games. I'm sure you can divide 2 by 6.

Pommers led the team in playoff points last year, tied with Ennis. Other guys 'disappeared' a lot more than him.

Nfreeman, you want him to do 25 goals in 82 games right? or score in 30% of the time right? And continue into the playoffs, right?

Last year playoffs he scored 2 goals in six games. I'm sure you can divide 2 by 6.

Other guys did disappear more than him, true. How many of them are considered the core and make over $5M?

For reference Pommers is making more (cap hit) than Martin St. Louis, Alfredson, Corey perry, selanne, Hossa, J. Williams. Bobby Ryan

You think he's making an appropriate amount? i would take any of those guys over pommers at 5.3 any day of the week.

Kane is making only 1 million more than pommers, that's outrageous.

Pommers 62pts last year was good enough to place him 12th in RW scoring. His 24 goals puts him 19th among RWs. He's not even top 10 RW in terms of ice time.

Yet somehow the sabres have made him the 6th highest paid RW this year.

i :wub: u

Other guys did disappear more than him, true. How many of them are considered the core and make over $5M?

For reference Pommers is making more (cap hit) than Martin St. Louis, Alfredson, Corey perry, selanne, Hossa, J. Williams. Bobby Ryan

You think he's making an appropriate amount? i would take any of those guys over pommers at 5.3 any day of the week.

Pommers 62pts last year was good enough to place him 12th in RW scoring. His 24 goals puts him 19th among RWs. He's not even top 10 RW in terms of ice time.

Fair comparisons? NOT.

St Louis getting a new contract next year for 5.625

Alfredsson's contract is a joke. two 7 million years then 4.5 then 1? U can't compare that cap hit to the salary

Perry's contract hit is the same as Pommers so WTF.

Selanne's a 40 year old man just wanting one more year

Hossa contract is another joke. he's got 7.9 million unitl 15-16, now that's real close to 5.3

Koivu and Cullen didn't want to come here. The only player we signed who might have had offers elsewhere was Leopold. We also got Morrison and Niedermeyer after no one else was all that interested (and the results have been depressing).

Which three overpaid players are gone after this year? Connolly and --?? (Not being a smartass. I don't know who else you're talking about.)

I wouldn't be shocked if they did just reduce payroll by $9M. I don't know who will be available or who will want to come here. Even if a good player is available, are we going to want to offer anyone a 10 year contract? It's not just money/season, I don't know if the Sabres are willing to commit to a free agent for as long as some other teams would.

Also, the Sabres know they're going to have to spend a lot of money to keep Myers here long term. Hopefully Ennis also ends up good enough that we give him a long deal too.

Right or wrong, Regier's philosophy is to build the team from the draft. If we give out big contracts, I expect them to mainly be to guys who are already on the team.

I think Leopold has been pretty good -- he's been 1st or 2nd in ice time during the Sabres' recent winning streak -- and Niedermayer has been solid. Morrisonn has been a bit of a letdown but it's still pretty early.

TC, Rivet (at $3.5MM) and Stafford (at $1.9MM) are gone after this year.

While I agree that the Sabres' approach -- since the summer of 2008, anyway -- has been to reward their own guys with big contracts, there is no one on the roster who is due for a big new contract next year. (Myers is eligible to sign one this summer, but it wouldn't take effect until 2012-13.) I would be very surprised if they just reduced their payroll by $9MM.

Yes, his 4 pts in 6 games (one of which was an assist on an ENG, btw) tied for the team lead. Yes, Roy and TC were worse. I still think Pommer was invisible, and a huge disappointment, in that series. Do you disagree?

There we go.

Fair comparisons? NOT.

St Louis getting a new contract next year for 5.625

Alfredsson's contract is a joke. two 7 million years then 4.5 then 1? U can't compare that cap hit to the salary

Perry's contract hit is the same as Pommers so WTF.

Selanne's a 40 year old man just wanting one more year

Hossa contract is another joke. he's got 7.9 million unitl 15-16, now that's real close to 5.3

Pommers contract is a joke too. St Louis has been a premier player for years, in a different class than Pommers and is making less. OK he's getting a new contract that pays him 0.3M more next year. Still doesnt make sense in relation to pommers.

His stats dont support his salary. A lot of NHL contracts are front loaded so its not a joke to compare. Pommers is backloaded, slightly. Vaneks was front loaded.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010/08/01/2010-2011-nhl-salaries-highest-paid-right-wingers/

You think pommers belongs at the #6 spot ? what exactly justifies that? he isnt top 10 for RW in any relevant category. He does a good job of penalty killing but so do a lot of other guys paid far less. He plays the PP but had 8 PP pts last year.

i see your point with the contracts but still look at the guys on that list. How does pommers get paid above some of the other guys i didnt mention?

Coming off years where he had 70-80 points, It's prolly right on. And who's to say they weren't competing with other teams at that point. He'll come around, no worries. His salary isn't in the way of anything right now so my panties aren't in a bunch (prolly cause I'm not wearing any).