Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

I'll just throw this out there, but, with Darcy's comments at the end of season presser on the dissappointment felt on Connolly, is there something happening here along the lines of Stafford or Connolly with a D man moving?

If this were to happen, specifically on Connolly, does that mean we could see Ennis slide into the #2 center position and Gerbe up on LW on line 3 with Nieds and Grier?

I still expect the explanation to be much simpler. They don't want to be paying $1MM to a guy they expect to be in the press box as Niedermayer took his 3rd line slot, and Ennis will likely grab one of the top 6, and they don't see him as a 4th liner. Not saying I agree w/ that thinking, as Kennedy would be an ideal candidate to fill a LW or C slot in case of an injury or shaking stuff up on any of the top 3 lines. (Well, maybe not ideal on the top line, but he'd fit well on 2 or 3.)

I'd put money on this. Once Niedermayer was signed, the roster got a bit convoluted, pending a trade or release of someone. The Kennedy waiver is also assuming that Stafford isn't going anywhere (probably not with a $2.3 million salary this year and who would take on that salary if Darcy tried to trade him?), but since Stafford is an RFA next year, why not just ride out this season with the problem of too many forwards and let him go next year? Even if they paid Kennedy the $1.6M, there's still almost $8M in cap space. If their problem is paying someone $1.6 million to sit in the press box, then why are they paying someone $2.3M to stink it up on the ice?

As luck would have it, I can see an injury happening in late October and everyone saying "Would have been nice if Kennedy was still here".

Well unless there are more moves coming, the Sabres got a LOT smaller as room was just made on the roster for Gerbe.

Roy, Gerbe & Ennis all in the lineup come October? Kennedy looks like a giant compared to these munchkins.

I agree. Too many small forwards. If only Stafford would ever play up to his size but I know that will never happen.

I'm hoping this becomes some kind of tipping point for the fan base and especially the media. I'll be listening to the press conference today, praying that the assembled wretches finally open up on Regier. Let's see who their master is, the team they cover or the fans they serve. Some very tough, very pointed questions need to be asked. And, for once, answered.

I'm hoping this becomes some kind of tipping point for the fan base and especially the media. I'll be listening to the press conference today, praying that the assembled wretches finally open up on Regier. Let's see who their master is, the team they cover or the fans they serve. Some very tough, very pointed questions need to be asked. And, for once, answered.

that would be nice but it aint gonna happen.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Kennedy who played in all 6 playoff games is on waivers, while "Guitar Hero" Stafford who was benched for 3 of those 6 playoff games is still a Sabre and penciled in for Top 6 once again.

Problem is, Stafford plays on the other side. You know I'd love to see him gone, though.

The more I've listened this morning to other fans and to the radio, I'm beginning to see how Kennedy might not fit into the team's plans. But why not a trade?

If the press conference is shortly after noon, I'm not going to be able to listen until it's in the audio vault.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ticle88705.ece

Kennedy was among many who never saw the decision coming. He signed the contract before Regier gave him the bad news. Kennedy said he was speechless.

"It hurts," Kennedy said. "This is not what I envisioned for the last month of the summer before the season started. It's tough. I hope this isn't the end, but it doesn't look too good right now. You grow up watching this team your whole life. I don't even know what to say right now because I'm so shocked."

"I'm kind of just nervously awaiting a call of any kind," Kennedy said. "This is not the start to the week that I thought I would have. ... In the short time I've played with the team and been in the league, I've learned that it's all business."

"I expected maybe them telling me that because of the award the arbitrator gave me that more would be expected of me. I did not expect that," Kennedy said. "I wish I could tell you more, but I really don't know what to say right now. It totally blindsided me."

"I keep trying to tell myself that this whole thing is real, and it's not just some rumor, but that it's actually happening," Kennedy said. "I'm having a hard time grasping that fact right now."

Kennedy was blind sided by this and he feels the sting. His childhood dream to play for the Sabres and Regier dropped a big, wet, steaming turd right on his head. And then said, Have a nice day.

Do you think if there was some sort of trade brewing or roster finagling going on that Regier would have spoken about it to Kennedy? And what Kennedy said to the press afterwards, is that really true then, or is he 'playing the game' until Darcy drops the bomb after noon today? (His resignation maybe?!)

I like the kid and feel it would have been nice to see more of his developement as a sabre but its hard to feel sorry for him when he was the one that elected to go the arbitration route. Blame his agent for trying to squeeze too much out of the tightwad sabres.

re: the excerpted quotes above from kennedy -- *GUH*. as eleven said, no way not to feel sorry for him.

the more i think about it, the more i think (well, speculate) that this move has much to do with (1) darcy valuing ennis and gerbe over kennedy and (2) a resolution to make the team tougher and bigger (and clear a slot in order to allow that to happen).

as to "1": notwithstanding the team's tendency to try everyone at center (see derek roy), aren't ennis, gerbe, and kennedy all (smallish) left wings? (just looked at the team's website, which lists gerbe as a center. :unsure:)

my overriding thought is this: no matter how much the move may make sense in the abstract, it is killing the team right now in the PR department. the decision to wait 24 hours before the oracle at delphi speaks and enlightens us as to the wisdom of the mighty oz has only compounded the problem. no big surprise, i guess, since, in terms of PR fiascoes, this is the same group of ad wizards who brought us the reebok slug when they had a classic-logo-layup there for the taking.

(just looked at the team's website, which lists gerbe as a center. :unsure:)

It's ironic that he is the only one of the three that they haven't tried at center in Portland or Buffalo. He's been listed as a center since he was drafted, but nobody really knows why. He was a winger in Boston and they don't seem to have any intention on moving him to center here.

What does being a good local kid have to do with it? I won't miss him. I'm tired of seeing small forwards on this team. This is NOT a defense of Regier but I don't see this as a big loss.

Cause the kid put his heart and soul into the Sabres, not just to earn a big paycheck. also he came in to sign the contract, signed, then got told his not welcome. Massive burn for a kid. Bad way of doing business.

What questions would u ask? Seriously. I think some r so dumbfounded that all they'll say is "um, Darce, what's up?" and all he'll say is "We didn't have the room at that price".

What does being a good local kid have to do with it? I won't miss him. I'm tired of seeing small forwards on this team. This is NOT a defense of Regier but I don't see this as a big loss.

I agree the Sabres were too small last year, but Kennedy played bigger than most. Regier is not gonna want to show his face around here (or should be fired) if he doesn't make a significant move for a forward before the season starts.

Do you think if there was some sort of trade brewing or roster finagling going on that Regier would have spoken about it to Kennedy? And what Kennedy said to the press afterwards, is that really true then, or is he 'playing the game' until Darcy drops the bomb after noon today? (His resignation maybe?!)

We could only dream Darcy submits his resignation.

As for the trade part, if that was the case, was Morrisonn the trade?

Darcy would never say anything about any possible moves the organization is contemplating or involved in to a player, especially one he just dropped a turd on. It would be tipping his hand. But, if this is a prelude to another trade that brings in a top 6 forward (BIG "IF"), What in the world would dropping Kennedy on waivers have to do with it?

My even bigger question is, "Why not trade him, even for a 4th or 5th round pick"?.

I mean, really, is this kid viewed as worth nothing to 29 other teams? If this is the case, why is this?

Many questions here.

Cause the kid put his heart and soul into the Sabres, not just to earn a big paycheck. also he came in to sign the contract, signed, then got told his not welcome. Massive burn for a kid. Bad way of doing business.

I agree it wasn't handled well. I'm just saying he fits in with all of our very average small forwards and I won't miss him much.

I can see it now.

Darcy steps to the podium, and in true Burke fashion say:

"The Buffalo Sabres have a trade to announce. Going to Anahiem are Drew Stafford, Andrea Sekera, Marc Andre Gragnani and Buffalo's 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2011, in return Buffalo receives the rights to Bobby Ryan. A contract with Ryan is expected to be announced shortly"!

Ah yes, one can dream, can't one. :unsure:

Mabye DR was po'd he took them to arbitration in the first place. Seems odd though. Maybe he is setting the tone for future RFA's.

I think this maybe part of the logic in sending a message to new players in the league that arbitration may be a two edged sword. Not that Kennedy's award was out of line. I think the main reason might be to make roster room for an upgraded forward position. :blink:

It's been a while since I've been here, but some interesting news today.

With regard to Kennedy, there's got to be more than meets the eye here. First, it is unlike Darcy to buy out a guy just like that as that is what he calls "burning money." Perhaps this is his little test to see if Kennedy is really valued at $1 million and if so another team would take him for free. If his real value is not $1 million, it would seem unlike Darcy to buy him out and waste $333k in cap space for the $666k in relief as he has never done that before and he calls it burning money. The signing of Shaone Morrisson does not seem like a legitimate reason for the need for additional cap space as the Sabres would still have something like $7-8 million available in cap space with both of them on the roster.

If I were to speculate, there are a couple of things at play. I think Darcy is not too happy about being taken to arbitration by his RFA in the first place and more than that, not being able to come to a deal. That's soured him on Kennedy altogether just like it soured him on MacArthur last year and just like it soured him on Daniel Briere before that. Darcy does not like going to arbitration and more than that does not like losing in arbitration, so this might be one way in which he proves his point to the RFAs on the team. Second, in addition to Morrisson, it looks like Darcy's got something major up his sleeve and that he needs cap space in order to pull it off. What that is, I'm not sure, but this seems like more than simply proving a point to a young player because Darcy would not simply "burn money" as he likes to call it by buying out a player for cap space. Something's up, and I'm not sure what it is, but it seems interesting.

As for Kennedy himself, I like him and he's a hometown guy, but he's certainly expendable. Guys like Kennedy are a dime a dozen and as it is the Sabres have a ton of 3rd and 4th line guys on the team. This leads me to believe that Ennis has solidified his role on the team for next year and that Darcy's working on a major trade or something in order to get the roster space and the cap space to get something major back in return. This is just my speculation, but I'm not sure. I'm much more intrigued now in the Sabres offseason after today than I was before, that's for sure.

If you what you say about Marcy is true, that his ego can't take arbitration and losing then screw him. The Sabres need to dump him. You just don't mess with home town boys especially at this level of pay and his work ethic. I would take Briere, MAC and TK over Stafford and Morrison and probably Connolly too. Not saying there is a great difference in skill, but as far as heart the two groups don't compare.

Time for a Dump Darcy Thread!:wallbash:

Archived