Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

My bad. I made the mistake of assuming that more than a few people here thought like I did that Kennedy was of little value to the team.

Agreed that we need some top 6 players who can play like real top 6 players, but we also need 3rd and 4th line players of more quality than Kennedy. Like in '05-'06 when Roy and Pominville and Goose first came up and played. Failing to get quality top 6 players doesn't mean we need to hold on to mediocre talent in the hopes that it will bloom.

I'd still say keep Kennedy over Kaleta or Ellis etc. The timing on this move is more bewildering than anything else. I like it though, because it looks like it's hastening Darcy's end of tenure.

I'd still say keep Kennedy over Kaleta or Ellis etc. The timing on this move is more bewildering than anything else. I like it though, because it looks like it's hastening Darcy's end of tenure.

I doubt it. I don't think Golisano knows what being placed on waivers means, or even who Tim Kennedy is for that matter.

I cant wait to hear the DR/LQ spin on this tomorrow. Anyone who believes this is clearing of money prior to a big move, is dreaming. The Sabres had plenty of money under the cap to make a FA move or trade, and the few hundred thousand they are saving by buying out Kennedy is irrelevant since the Sabres are not spending to the cap ceiling.

BOO HOO. Kennedy took them to arbitration and won, so lets teach him a lesson. This offseason is a joke and if I was Miller, I'd be calling Regier tomorrow asking him how the building of a Cup challenging team is going.

Freeing up $700,000 by a potential buyout isn't enough to do anything significant.

Kennedy's award was above his true value. Had the Sabres done anything this off-season I could possibly understand this move. The only thing that is clear at this point is that the softest team in the NHL appears to be getting softer.

I have a hard time believing that Kennedy represented the toughness that this team needs and currently lacks. Kennedy was a nice player and from Buffalo but without high-end offensive skills he's just as expendable as other players on the team. It is a little odd, but even when I looking at lines for this team on the upcoming season I had a tough time placing Timmy in the lineup.

Call me crazy, but I still think there's something else to this.

I have a hard time believing that Kennedy represented the toughness that this team needs and currently lacks. Kennedy was a nice player and from Buffalo but without high-end offensive skills he's just as expendable as other players on the team. It is a little odd, but even when I looking at lines for this team on the upcoming season I had a tough time placing Timmy in the lineup.

Hi, Crazy!

He is/was by no means the answer to that problem. He is overpriced at $1 mil. He was at least one of the few that showed a willingness to get dirty. Overall, does this hurt the Sabres cup chances? No.

I could easily put him on the third or fourth line. There is not a lot of talent there so it shouldn't have been hard for him to win a spot.

He is/was by no means the answer to that problem. He is overpriced at $1 mil. He was at least one of the few that showed a willingness to get dirty. Overall, does this hurt the Sabres cup chances? No.

I could easily put him on the third or fourth line. There is not a lot of talent there so it shouldn't have been hard for him to win a spot.

I think that's more of what the issue is. Kennedy hits home for more people because he's from the area, but he's not going to be a game breaker.

I personally like the idea of getting away from stockpiling 3rd and 4th line grinders.

BOO HOO. Kennedy took them to arbitration and won, so lets teach him a lesson. This offseason is a joke and if I was Miller, I'd be calling Regier tomorrow asking him how the building of a Cup challenging team is going.

I didn't think that either Kennedy (incl. his agent) or the Sabres saw the arbitrator's award as a "win." It was right down the middle.

Uh, WTF.... Okay at least having Kennedy and Kaleta on the team gave us a little something hometown to watch if they were not going to make marked improvement enough to win a Stanley Cup. So with this move if the Sabres don't bring in a first line center and win the cup this year Darcy needs to go. I like Kennedy and think he is one of the character role players that can score a timely goal. Yes, he is undersized and there others like him out there, but for the $1mil arbitration price tag, the Sabres better do something offensively to justify this nonsense.

Otherwise what is the point. I agree Stempniak isn't the answer as a substitute, The Sabres need a front line center. I drop Stafford and his mamby pamby play and the Tin Man in a heartbeat before I let Kennedy go...

P.S. I do like the signing of Shaone Morrison and I think that shores up the D pretty well this year. But the forward lines are a train wreck so far.

Guest Sloth

BEYOND F*%&ING PISSED! Darcy has done virtually nothing to improve this team in the offseason, and now he has dropped a guy with a decent amount of potential. Darcy should've given him one more year in Buffalo. If Kennedy played at the same level he did this past season, I'd be fine with dropping him. Kennedy should've been given one more year. I just do not understand what Darcy is doing now. Stafford should've be gone a long time ago, and he likes to overpay players he "groomed." I've always been a Darcy supporter, but now I can't wait for the guy to be given a puckin' pink slip!

I didn't cut and paste any ideas.. in fact the only "idea" I took from this board at all was "Maybe Regier is unhappy about Kennedy taking the team to arbitration to begin with." And, I credited that idea to fans offering speculation. So I think I'm good, bro. Thanks anyway. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Roll your eyes all you want, but I wouldn't quit your day job. The world of journalism is farless ethical than it was a few decades ago, but even now there are consequences for certain actions. Professional journalists have been ridiculed for lifting stories from sports blogs and message boards.

It's been a while since I've been here, but some interesting news today.

With regard to Kennedy, there's got to be more than meets the eye here. First, it is unlike Darcy to buy out a guy just like that as that is what he calls "burning money." Perhaps this is his little test to see if Kennedy is really valued at $1 million and if so another team would take him for free. If his real value is not $1 million, it would seem unlike Darcy to buy him out and waste $333k in cap space for the $666k in relief as he has never done that before and he calls it burning money. The signing of Shaone Morrisson does not seem like a legitimate reason for the need for additional cap space as the Sabres would still have something like $7-8 million available in cap space with both of them on the roster.

If I were to speculate, there are a couple of things at play. I think Darcy is not too happy about being taken to arbitration by his RFA in the first place and more than that, not being able to come to a deal. That's soured him on Kennedy altogether just like it soured him on MacArthur last year and just like it soured him on Daniel Briere before that. Darcy does not like going to arbitration and more than that does not like losing in arbitration, so this might be one way in which he proves his point to the RFAs on the team. Second, in addition to Morrisson, it looks like Darcy's got something major up his sleeve and that he needs cap space in order to pull it off. What that is, I'm not sure, but this seems like more than simply proving a point to a young player because Darcy would not simply "burn money" as he likes to call it by buying out a player for cap space. Something's up, and I'm not sure what it is, but it seems interesting.

As for Kennedy himself, I like him and he's a hometown guy, but he's certainly expendable. Guys like Kennedy are a dime a dozen and as it is the Sabres have a ton of 3rd and 4th line guys on the team. This leads me to believe that Ennis has solidified his role on the team for next year and that Darcy's working on a major trade or something in order to get the roster space and the cap space to get something major back in return. This is just my speculation, but I'm not sure. I'm much more intrigued now in the Sabres offseason after today than I was before, that's for sure.

Roll your eyes all you want, but I wouldn't quit your day job. The world of journalism is farless ethical than it was a few decades ago, but even now there are consequences for certain actions. Professional journalists have been ridiculed for lifting stories from sports blogs and message boards.

WGR has generated hours of discussion off of what we write here, and I kind of like it. (Not saying that's what Jack does or did.) But that's a call-in morning show, and not a newspaper article or even an online article.

WGR has generated hours of discussion off of what we write here, and I kind of like it. (Not saying that's what Jack does or did.) But that's a call-in morning show, and not a newspaper article or even an online article.

What does WGR have to do with professional journalism???

I read in the TSN comment section that a clause in the CBA prevented Kennedy from being traded before January. I will try to look this up. If anyone else has the energy please do. Anyway, if Kennedy couldn't be traded, then the only way for him to go to another team that wanted him is through waivers. If that team was close to first in the waiver order, they could pick up Kennedy in a psuedo trade involving the other players later on.

Perhaps this is why Regier won't comment until after the waiver period, as he wants to make sure that the other team involved gets Kennedy, and the rest of the trade pans out.

I would heavily suggest that this means Edmonton is involved, seeing as the rumor first came out of there, and they are first in the waiver order (I believe, someone wanna check if they used a waiver card already, if so, then Toronto should be next in line). With Morrison just getting signed, I have to suspect that an Edmonton forward or Toronto D man would be part of a deal. I further suspect, if all these other factors are accurate, that player would be Horcoff, Penner, or Hemsky from Edmonton or Kaberle from Toronto.

I read in the TSN comment section that a clause in the CBA prevented Kennedy from being traded before January. I will try to look this up. If anyone else has the energy please do. Anyway, if Kennedy couldn't be traded, then the only way for him to go to another team that wanted him is through waivers. If that team was close to first in the waiver order, they could pick up Kennedy in a psuedo trade involving the other players later on.

This would explain a lot.

Perhaps this is why Regier won't comment until after the waiver period, as he wants to make sure that the other team involved gets Kennedy, and the rest of the trade pans out.

I would heavily suggest that this means Edmonton is involved, seeing as the rumor first came out of there, and they are first in the waiver order (I believe, someone wanna check if they used a waiver card already, if so, then Toronto should be next in line). With Morrison just getting signed, I have to suspect that an Edmonton forward or Toronto D man would be part of a deal. I further suspect, if all these other factors are accurate, that player would be Horcoff, Penner, or Hemsky from Edmonton or Kaberle from Toronto.

Not that I know of, there's been sign and trades before, this is not correct.

What's your deal here?

"Wouldn't quit your day job" is pretty harsh. Jack's a young guy who clearly has some interest in sportswriting, and he's already a darned good writer at a young age. Why not encourage?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what did he "lift"? There should be consequences for falsely making accusations, too, even on message board. Are you prepared to prove your charge?

Even if he made some innocent mistake -- and I don't see where he did -- is this diatribe really necessary? WGR has nothing to do with professional journalism, and neither does Jack's "homemade" blog. He's not professsional -- yet.

Not that I know of, there's been sign and trades before, this is not correct.

Actually RFA arbitrations that "must" be accepted. I am looking at the CBA now trying to find it, wanna jump in and help me out here chz, I wasn't sure if it was correct or not myself, I merely speculated since this move baffles me.

He can be traded at anytime. He couldn't negotiate / sign an extention until after January 1 because he'd be on a 1 year deal.

He can be traded at anytime. He couldn't negotiate / sign an extention until after January 1 because he'd be on a 1 year deal.

Which begs the question: are the Sabres betting that he survives waivers so that they can sign him to a multi-year deal now? Are they being proactive about something? Just a possibility, not opinion, and certainly not rumor or anything.

Which begs the question: are the Sabres betting that he survives waivers so that they can sign him to a multi-year deal now? Are they being proactive about something? Just a possibility, not opinion, and certainly not rumor or anything.

This seems pretty far-fetched. If they like him enough to want to give him a multi-year deal, they wouldn't risk losing him to waivers. I think for whatever reason they've decided to move on without him. I'm disappointed because I liked his game last year and I just have a hard time believing this is a precursor to a big move for a forward.

Archived