Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

And riding a silver bike, dressed all in black, with a red helmet screams "my daddy didn't love me and my mommy dressed me until I was 15." Name calling is fun and in this case much deserved.

That's a sport bike, not a chopper. And he appears to be on a track, meaning that rather than being "dressed all in black" he is wearing the required full leather safety suit, you know, in case he hits the pavement at 150+.

Sounds like it's a lot less complex than people are making it: They wanted someone else on the roster and weren't happy with the high arbitration award.

I agree. It's pretty clear. He cleared waivers. Each and every team in the league passed on him at $1M and a one-way contract. He's not worth it.

But according to Marcy "we're quite a bit higher than we were a year ago at this same time" (payroll). Does anyone have the ability to challenge that assertion (knowledge of payroll in August 2009 vs. August 2010)?

Sounds right. hey hadn't signed anyone for the money that they lost when guys like Max, Spacek, Kotalik left.

Darcy's continued mention of the internal cap/ budget is the most aggravating.

Indeed. When the organization intentionally handicaps itself in this manner, how am I supposed to believe that it is dedicated to success?

I agree. It's pretty clear. He cleared waivers. Each and every team in the league passed on him at $1M and a one-way contract. He's not worth it.

Everyone agrees with this point, or at least everyone I'm reading on this Board seems to. But shall we do an analysis of the Sabres "Core 23" or whatever the heck "The GM" is talking about as to how many of them "are worth it"? THAT is the point... and why in the heck all of a sudden the team is taking a "not worth it" stand with a promising 24 year-old who actually showed some guts in the Playoffs, unlike 80% of his teammates, and not with the rest of the dead weight on the team?

I feel tired, sad, discouraged. Not to pull a Ghost here, but it's kind of like how we all knew mom was addicted to pills, but didn't want to believe -- and could always say we never saw them. Then she spilled her purse looking for gum -- and the bottles broke open. And dad finally shoved her face in that pot of boiling water. And Whiskers got run over when she ran out the back door.

A bad day for the franchise. It feels worse to me than July 1, 2007. It confirms what a lot of us thought, but some might have still been on the fence. Is there any doubt this cement's Buffalo as the very worst place to play in the NHL?

There's no defending this, explaining it or sugarcoating it anymore. It is what it is. I just hope some good comes out of it, somehow, in the form of seriously pissed fans and a media that grows some balls. If the backlash hastens OSP's decision to sell, great.

I don't see any of that happening.

I am sick to my stomach and don't want to post anymore. I want to do the bare mininum to stay a fan, without enabling these jackasses.

Everyone agrees with this point, or at least everyone I'm reading on this Board seems to. But shall we do an analysis of the Sabres "Core 23" or whatever the heck "The GM" is talking about as to how many of them "are worth it"? THAT is the point... and why in the heck all of a sudden the team is taking a "not worth it" stand with a promising 24 year-old who actually showed some guts in the Playoffs, unlike 80% of his teammates, and not with the rest of the dead weight on the team?

It comes down to Ennis vs. Kennedy.

Indeed. When the organization intentionally handicaps itself in this manner, how am I supposed to believe that it is dedicated to success?

when fans are willing and able to purchase more expensive tickets things might change. You want $20 value tickets you get internal caps. Team isnt gonna run in the red. Im as frustratetd as anyone on this board, but if kennedy was a good deal someone would have grabbed him.

Regardless of how we feel, he was a super skinny F who scored 10 goals. Yes hes from buffalo and play with grit but this team doesnt need more small gritty forwards.

Regier: It's not just about a couple hundred grand ... they reevaluated the team, saw a surfeit at LW, let Kennedy go. Mentioned Ennis a couple of times. Also mentioned financial constraints a couple of times, which is aggravating. Some reporter noted that this move might actually cost the Sabres more money short-term (Ennis salary plus Kennedy buyout). Ruff was part of the decision. So were Golisano and Quinn (who should NOT have been).

It comes down to Ennis vs. Kennedy.

Why, though? Let's talk "pure hockey" for a second... not finances. Why in the world would a team get rid of EITHER of those guys? Now, bringing finances back into the equation, why in the world are you letting "good hockey players" go at $1M and keeping players at much higher salaries who are older, clearly not going to improve, and have shown themselves to be "gutless and incapable of veteran leadership"?

Nice job of DR bringing up the Chicago Niemi situation not once, but TWICE. Good comparison....NOT. <_< One team over the cap and no choice but to walk away/trade some of the Cup winning roster. The other team over their self imposed cap which happens to be several mil under the actual cap, so they have to walk away from a young forward who was going to make 200k more than DR had offered prior to arbitration. Doesn't sound vindictive to me.

If Kennedy was good enough to be qualified a couple of months ago, that to me says from a talent standpoint they wanted to keep him. Raise the price 200k and all of a sudden he is no longer in your top 22? Coming from the guy who overpaid Gaustad and Hecht by a million or more! Anything you say Darcy. <_<

Once again, according to DR this has nothing to do with being vindictive, so I can assume he is saying that Kennedy is not one of the 13 best forwards on the team(assuming they carry 13 forwards/7 blueliners/2 goalies)?

Roy, Vanek, Stafford, Connolly, Hecht, Neidermeyer, Pominville, Kaleta, Grier, Gaustad, Ennis, Gerbe & McCormick. Kennedy is not better than Gerbe and McCormick?

Anyone still holding out hope that DR is going to sign a Top 6 forward before the season? Projected budget says otherwise suckers! Instead maybe they can piss away another 2nd round pick at the deadline.

Unbelievable! Miller has to be wondering about the commitment of this team to make Cup runs while he is in his prime.

They have my season ticket money...shame on me. :angry:

I feel tired, sad, discouraged. Not to pull a Ghost here, but it's kind of like how we all knew mom was addicted to pills, but didn't want to believe -- and could always say we never saw them. Then she spilled her purse looking for gum -- and the bottles broke open. And dad finally shoved her face in that pot of boiling water. And Whiskers got run over when she ran out the back door.

A bad day for the franchise. It feels worse to me than July 1, 2007. It confirms what a lot of us thought, but some might have still been on the fence. Is there any doubt this cement's Buffalo as the very worst place to play in the NHL?

There's no defending this, explaining it or sugarcoating it anymore. It is what it is. I just hope some good comes out of it, somehow, in the form of seriously pissed fans and a media that grows some balls. If the backlash hastens OSP's decision to sell, great.

I don't see any of that happening.

I am sick to my stomach and don't want to post anymore. I want to do the bare mininum to stay a fan, without enabling these jackasses.

WOW, I agree with this so much it's almost like I wrote it. :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing - I felt like I was the only one.

Why, though? Let's talk "pure hockey" for a second... not finances. Why in the world would a team get rid of EITHER of those guys? Now, bringing finances back into the equation, why in the world are you letting "good hockey players" go at $1M and keeping players at much higher salaries who are older, clearly not going to improve, and have shown themselves to be "gutless and incapable of veteran leadership"?

Because neither Ennis nor Kennedy can play on the fourth line, because Hecht should play on the third line (but could play on the second line), and because Vanek is the first-line guy. There's no need for five left wings.

Regier: It's not just about a couple hundred grand ... they reevaluated the team, saw a surfeit at LW, let Kennedy go. Mentioned Ennis a couple of times. Also mentioned financial constraints a couple of times, which is aggravating. Some reporter noted that this move might actually cost the Sabres more money short-term (Ennis salary plus Kennedy buyout). Ruff was part of the decision. So were Golisano and Quinn (who should NOT have been).

I like how DR sidestepped the question of "How does Lindy feel about the Kennedy situation?". DR...Lindy was part of the decision making process. Care to answer the question?

Because neither Ennis nor Kennedy can play on the fourth line, because Hecht should play on the third line (but could play on the second line), and because Vanek is the first-line guy. There's no need for five left wings.

Why can't Kennedy play on the fourth line? :blink: I think he fits well and can easily transition to the 3rd line and even one of the scoring lines in a pinch.

I like how DR sidestepped the question of "How does Lindy feel about the Kennedy situation?". DR...Lindy was part of the decision making process. Care to answer the question?

That's where he said Ruff was involved, and then said that everyone from ownership down was involved. I can imagine this dialogue:

Quinn (to Ruff): who do you want me to tell Regier to cut? Ennis? Or Kennedy?

Ruff: I want to keep them both.

Quinn: Not going to happen.

Ruff: Then I'd rather keep Ennis.

Quinn (to Regier): Put Kennedy on waivers and take the heat for me again.

But, that's just my imagination.

I still think there's one more move in the works. Just like a team doesn't need five LWs, neither does it need nine defensemen.

Why can't Kennedy play on the fourth line? :blink: I think he fits well and can easily transition to the 3rd line and even one of the scoring lines in a pinch.

How many small guys do you want on a fourth line? One is enough.

I disagree as much as I possibly could with this statement, even though I don't question your facts. But in this case, facts lie. Your facts would be true if the Sabres were the kind of team that spent top-dollars for forwards, was loaded with talent up-front, and just "couldn't afford this kind of luxury". But NO TEAM that won't even spend close to the Cap should EVER be thinking about getting rid of young players with promise. Earth to "The GM"... such players are the only chance you have at competing within your "financial restrictions". You keep young talent and "work it out"... facts above be damned.

I disagree as much as I possibly could with this statement, even though I don't question your facts. But in this case, facts lie. Your facts would be true if the Sabres were the kind of team that spent top-dollars for forwards, was loaded with talent up-front, and just "couldn't afford this kind of luxury". But NO TEAM that won't even spend close to the Cap should EVER be thinking about getting rid of young players with promise. Earth to "The GM"... such players are the only chance you have at competing within your "financial restrictions". You keep young talent and "work it out"... facts above be damned.

Make no mistake: I'm not happy with the decision. I can see the logic of it, but I'm not happy with it.

And even though I'm unhappy with it, the point has been made above, and on the airwaves, that 29 other teams passed on him. It's not just the Sabres.

I think it comes down to two thing. ONe thing is that the arbitraitor made what should have been a NHL/AHL contract an NHL contract. The other thing was that skating Kennedy at center didn't work so lets face it. So they had a small left wing on the 4th line (behide Ennis Vanek Hecht) which isnt the best thing. I like Kennedy though. But I cant undersatnd when people who hated him last week are angry.

I think it comes down to two thing. ONe thing is that the arbitraitor made what should have been a NHL/AHL contract an NHL contract. The other thing was that skating Kennedy at center didn't work so lets face it. So they had a small left wing on the 4th line (behide Ennis Vanek Hecht) which isnt the best thing. I like Kennedy though. But I cant undersatnd when people who hated him last week are angry.

Let's not lose sight of this point, either. If there were a way to give Kennedy a two-way deal, he'd still be on the roster.

Make no mistake: I'm not happy with the decision. I can see the logic of it, but I'm not happy with it.

And even though I'm unhappy with it, the point has been made above, and on the airwaves, that 29 other teams passed on him. It's not just the Sabres.

I already posted the below, but it answers the bolded comment above so I re-posted it:

Archived