Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

my obligatory blog post: http://thesportsbuff.com/?p=390

and my obligatory disclaimer that you probably won't find anything you didn't already read here...

Not for nothing, but if you are going to cut and paste ideas expressed on this board, you should really give attribution. There is a word that starts with P which is death to aspiring newspeople, and you are probably closer to that line than you care to be.

Not for nothing, but if you are going to cut and paste ideas expressed on this board, you should really give attribution. There is a word that starts with P which is death to aspiring newspeople, and you are probably closer to that line than you care to be.

Ya, and what gives? You didn't even mention the speculation on Derek Roy's reach around theory. If your going the P word route, may as well go all the way :unsure:

I didn't cut and paste any ideas.. in fact the only "idea" I took from this board at all was "Maybe Regier is unhappy about Kennedy taking the team to arbitration to begin with." And, I credited that idea to fans offering speculation. So I think I'm good, bro. Thanks anyway. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I love how somehow Timmy Kennedy is being made out to be the savior of this team now that it looks like he's being cut loose. As recently as a week ago he was being pilloried for being useless to the Sabres, a hometown boy who's only in the team for the sake of it bla

Who said that?

Ya, and what gives? You didn't even mention the speculation on Derek Roy's reach around theory. If your going the P word route, may as well go all the way :unsure:

Feel free to point out any plagiarism I used instead of just hopping on the bandwagon. You won't find any.

Feel free to point out any plagiarism I used instead of just hopping on the bandwagon. You won't find any.

i didn't take your self-effacing remark on how "you won't find anything over there that isn't over here in substance" as an admission that you just lifted the piece from this message board. i read the piece -- good product it was.

Who said that?

for starters..

I recognize his feistiness but he doesn't strike me off the ice as someone who is mature and confident. Almost Derek Plantian. I would be concerned that the rough and tumble arbitration process ("here's why you're not worth the money, kid") could set him back emotionally.

I have to believe this was to allow Gerbe as the 13th forward and another move is coming.

I am curious though as to why they didn't or couldn't move him in a trade for even a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. This is just odd and it makes no sense to think Darcy, Larry or anyone else would do this out of spite.

I believe they did this for expedience to free up a roster spot for something in coming. It really is the only logical reason at this time.

i didn't take your self-effacing remark on how "you won't find anything over there that isn't over here in substance" as an admission that you just lifted the piece from this message board. i read the piece -- good product it was.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

All I meant by that statement was that I don't have any "inside sources" or anything like perhaps Gleason or Vogl do, so it's likely you've already heard all of the factual information in my post -- I just wanted people to be of that understanding before they took the time to click the link and read it. I feel guilty enough posting my own articles on this site, so I don't want people to get angry and think I'm just trying to get as many page views as possible or whatever.

Anyway, back on the Kennedy topic, here's Eklund's take:

"* The Sabres have put Tim Kennedy, who received a $1M arbitration ruling, on waivers. Kennedy scored 10 goals and 16 assists in 78 games last year with the Sabres. Kennedy is on the small side, but can flat out play. The Sabres are reportedly interested in quite a few other players (Stempniak, Savard mainly) and my guess is this a move to sign one of them. I don't expect that Kennedy will clear waivers tomorrow..I fully expect a team to grab him at the bonus price. 10 goals for a million bucks is not terrible and in fact I would be shocked if he made it past the Leafs tomorrow."

I believe they did this for expedience to free up a roster spot for something in coming. It really is the only logical reason at this time.

I wish I had even 1% confidence that you were right in that "something is coming". But I have none. The last time this hockey organization made any moves that indicated it was trying to significantly improve the roster outside the draft was the Chris Drury trade (at least I can't remember any since then).

Since then the mantra has clearly been "draft and hope, because we can't afford free agents and refuse to give up prospects in a trade because we need all the cheap players we can get". That's why this move makes no sense whatsoever - they are contradicting their own cheapskate policy.

Adding the summer of 2007 to the summer of 2010 and I would venture to say that the Sabres would currently be voted "Worst Organization in the NHL" by players and NHL officials. WHY would anyone come to Buffalo by choice based on the idiocy of the people in charge? You're either drafted here, sent to purgatory/Buffalo via trade, or have no other options as a free agent (call it the "TO Syndrome").

I have to believe this was to allow Gerbe as the 13th forward and another move is coming.

I am curious though as to why they didn't or couldn't move him in a trade for even a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. This is just odd and it makes no sense to think Darcy, Larry or anyone else would do this out of spite.

Freeing up $700,000 by a potential buyout isn't enough to do anything significant.

Kennedy's award was above his true value. Had the Sabres done anything this off-season I could possibly understand this move. The only thing that is clear at this point is that the softest team in the NHL appears to be getting softer.

I wish I had even 1% confidence that you were right in that "something is coming". But I have none. The last time this hockey organization made any moves that indicated it was trying to significantly improve the roster outside the draft was the Chris Drury trade (at least I can't remember any since then).

Since then the mantra has clearly been "draft and hope, because we can't afford free agents and refuse to give up prospects in a trade because we need all the cheap players we can get". That's why this move makes no sense whatsoever - they are contradicting their own cheapskate policy.

Adding the summer of 2007 to the summer of 2010 and I would venture to say that the Sabres would currently be voted "Worst Organization in the NHL" by players and NHL officials. WHY would anyone come to Buffalo by choice based on the idiocy of the people in charge? You're either drafted here, sent to purgatory/Buffalo via trade, or have no other options as a free agent (call it the "TO Syndrome").

100% true, the blame for that falls squarely on Status Quo.

You are clinging to that theory. I have no hope for any such moves. WTF would Darcy wait so long, particularly when he is about to lose one of his assets, instead of trading when his cupboard was full.

Haven't spent much time here been enjoying the summer.

I know a lot of people have been waiting on that big Darcy move. Well I for one can only say Wow didn't see that move coming. Maybe he has more up his sleeve,, nah sorry not drinking the kool aid again.

Oh and +1 to Wonderbread on the reach around for the reach around. :thumbsup:

Archived