Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

Regiers behaviour has become destructive to the health of this organization. They could have walked away after the award.

Actually, as many have pointed out, they could not have walked away from this award, but I do agree with many on here, if this was a move just to show some kind of response for Kennedy's arbitration award, that is horrid business practice.

If Dr's pinching pennies to save money to bring some potential help great, if not then WTF. Not saying I "loved" Kennedy's game but this whole fiasco make the Sabres FO look like fools.

Maybe Golisano told him to pinch the pennies. Any current rumors about the team for sale?

Really great PR move....

Cast off the hometown kid on the cheap.

That will really give a kick to the season ticket sales

This had better be a move to clear some cap space for some kind of deal.

If this is over the kid winning an arbitration award for a million bucks,

then Darcy needs to be shown the door.

Darcy=Moron.

Mabye DR was po'd he took them to arbitration in the first place. Seems odd though. Maybe he is setting the tone for future RFA's.

This is what makes the most sense to me. I hope it isn't true, because (i) the next most likely explanation is that a big move is in the hopper and (ii) it seems like a pretty shortsighted decision on a pretty good young player.

If he clears waivers, can he be sent down to Portland at the minor league pay scale?

I can't get my head around this one - its makes no sense whatsoever. Again and again this franchise has shown a painful amount of patience with young players. TK is not the savior of this franchise, even if he is from Buffalo, but he was a good young player with potential. Ditching him over a couple hundred grand makes no sense at all when you consider the slaggards on this team who are overcompensated to the tune of seven figures.

I would love to believe that this move portends something big on the horizon, but if so, why do this now? There is no reason for it. We can be be over the cap in the summer with no penalty.

Sadly, I can only conclude there is no big move on the horizon. Darcy is simply making a point that no one gets as of yet. How nasty was that arbitration, anyway?

This is what makes the most sense to me. I hope it isn't true, because (i) the next most likely explanation is that a big move is in the hopper and (ii) it seems like a pretty shortsighted decision on a pretty good young player.

If he clears waivers, can he be sent down to Portland at the minor league pay scale?

Good Question.

Anyone have an answer on this?

Also, there are already rumblings that the Habs are interested.

Sadly, I can only conclude there is no big move on the horizon. Darcy is simply making a point that no one gets as of yet. How nasty was that arbitration, anyway?

I heard Darcy let him go because Derek Roy stated he wouldn't give him the courtesy of a reach around.

He listed as having both NHL and AHL salaries as 1 million.

Somebody should pick him up for that. Unless all the GM's are ganging up on the process.

link?

Habs fans on a discussion board somewhere?

Ya, it was the Habs fans over on that HFBoard. There is a thread there about Timmy being waived and a few of the Habs fans stated they could use 3rd line help. They know their team better than I.

i'd inferred that his award for 1-way, but, on further reflection, realize that i have no basis for believing that.

even so, if the minors were an option, you think TSN would have picked up on that (or bucky, for that matter, who just posted about it on the sabres edge).

How nasty was that arbitration, anyway?

not very, it would appear.

"It's never a fun process for either side but everybody was real professional throughout the whole thing," Kennedy's agent, Allain Roy, said by phone from St. Louis. "We feel it was a fair award. ... Timmy wants to stay in Buffalo. He's a born-and-bred guy and he loves the Sabres."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article85329.ece

I heard Darcy let him go because Derek Roy stated he wouldn't give him the courtesy of a reach around.

+1

Ya, it was the Habs fans over on that HFBoard. There is a thread there about Timmy being waived and a few of the Habs fans stated they could use 3rd line help. They know their team better than I.

Hopefully Habs GM Gauthier reads their boards as much as Darcy reads this one

my obligatory blog post: http://thesportsbuff.com/?p=390

something you wrote there prompted in my mind the question of whether we're going to hear about how the organization thinks the world of ennis and gerbe, and that kennedy, with what he was awarded, ended up odd man out.

not that i think that would wash (not by a long shot) ... but i fear that's what's coming.

link?

He listed as having both NHL and AHL salaries as 1 million.

If this is right, I think he's done with the Sabres. And I don't see how they could want to keep him at $800K but not at $1MM. It's just a one-year deal.

something you wrote there prompted in my mind the question of whether we're going to hear about how the organization thinks the world of ennis and gerbe, and that kennedy, with what he was awarded, ended up odd man out.

not that i think that would wash (not by a long shot) ... but i fear that's what's coming.

this has the cold ring of truth.

Archived