Kennedy Placed on Waivers (old Arbitration thread)

tom webster

Sure the kid is from Buffalo and I feel sorry for him, but this is business. His agent wanted to play hard ball and Tim came out the loser. Would anyone care if this was Gerbe? I swear more people are upset because he's from Buffalo and aren't thinking about the on-ice product.

We'd care less if it was Gerbe because Kennedy showed us something all season long (and especially in the playoffs) that this team has been sorely lacking. I'm not looking at the fact that he's just a 3rd-liner because he was one of the most tenacious, gritty forwards on this team. Yes, it's business. Yes, his agent took the wrong play, pissed off Darcy, and Tim came out as the loser. But he was a fan favorite because of his play, not just because he's from Buffalo.

I'm mildly surprised he cleared waivers, but maybe that's because his numbers don't blow anyone away or teams figured they'd be better off seeing if they can get him without dealing with the waiver process.

tweets say that the kennedy # put the team over its projected budget

Then why did they throw 2 million per at ANOTHER defenseman. I didn't mind the Morrison signing but the need is at forward with all the young depth we have on D. I'm less critical about Darcy than most and I'm scratching my head on this one....

tweets say that the kennedy # put the team over its projected budget

So his budget is 8.5 million under the cap. Makes sense. I'm surprised they don't trade the 3rd and 4th line away for picks and just rotate guys from Portland to pinch some more pennies.

Maybe they plan to rework Tyler Myers to a long term deal?

There's no reason to yet, though. Obviously everyone wants to see Myers locked up ASAP, but we could handle that next off-season when Timmy, Rivet, Montador, Lalime, Grier, Nieds, etc come off the books. Or, if they wanted to play with a fire a little bit, the off-season after that, when he becomes an RFA. There is no reason to worry about signing Myers now, this move was purely Darcy Regier pissed off that Tim Kennedy took him to arbitration. There is no way around it. What a joke.

It says alot about the arbitrator.

I agree with this a lot. However, I'm not mad about the Sabres not agreeing that Kennedy is worth $1M, I'm mad that they apparently think Connolly and Stafford ARE worth the money, and Kennedy is not. THAT is an absolute joke and is the question that Marcy needs to answer. Over Budget? Who cares, Marcy? Tell us WHY Connolly and Stafford are worth the money, and this kid is not!!!

Archived