LabattBlue

Complaint Thursdays

Topic will be automatically unlocked at 05:00 AM

21 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Nah. I’ve always had the expectation that I was going to have to work my balls off for everything. Don’t get me wrong here. I’m a lot of things that aren’t good but entitled certainly isn’t on that list.

You had a chance to resolve the situation like a mature adult and instead you acted like a petulant 2-year-old.  Sorry, but that's entitled.

3 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

You had a chance to resolve the situation like a mature adult and instead you acted like a petulant 2-year-old.  Sorry, but that's entitled.

Sure why not? We’ll add that to the list of things that make me an Ogre. While we’re at it we’ll let people act like jackasses around work zones until they kill someone else. 
 I quit caring what people would think about me speaking up the first time I watched someone die on the job. It wasn’t a very big leap to decide that I don’t care what people think of me at all the second time. I’m sorry if that rubs people the wrong way(that’s as much on them as it is on me when you think about it)but I’ll never stop speaking my mind. Seems like every time I do someone gets hurt or dies. I appreciate your concern for this matter though.

1 minute ago, Ogre said:

Sure why not? We’ll add that to the list of things that make me an Ogre. While we’re at it we’ll let people act like jackasses around work zones until they kill someone else. 
 I quit caring what people would think about me speaking up the first time I watched someone die on the job. It wasn’t a very big leap to decide that I don’t care what people think of me at all the second time. I’m sorry if that rubs people the wrong way(that’s as much on them as it is on me when you think about it)but I’ll never stop speaking my mind. Seems like every time I do someone gets hurt or dies. I appreciate your concern for this matter though.

If you don't care about what people think of you, then why do you think we care what you think of other people?

7 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

If you don't care about what people think of you, then why do you think we care what you think of other people?

Your Jedi mind trick won’t work on me. I actually assume that most people don’t care. That’s been a general theme in life. It’s nice therapy to get it out though. 

About six years into my career a guy was run over by an excavator on the job. I didn’t witness his death with my eyes but I heard the noise he made as it consumed him. Sometimes when I’m alone and quiet I hear that noise. Clear as day. I know it’s not really there but that’s the real kicker about these types of things. They rewire your brain. Your priorities change. Like I said, I’m a lot of bad things but i am what I am and fill a purpose somehow. 

Another time my good friend and I were working in between the tanks at the Genesee brewery using our legs on one tank and backs on the other to hold ourselves up there 80’ feet up. They had a thin ramshackle netting wired together under is to catch tools but were not meant to hold us so we were told “Don’t fall in there!”  I lift my weld hood and look over and Ryan is gone!!  I look down and he’s spread out like a man on thin ice. I scream “get your ass back up here!” in a panic and he snapped to and scrambled over to a column and climbed back up but GD was that a close one. Unfortunately Ryan committed suicide years later.

And then there was the time that Keith lost his footing whole deck sawing on the edge of a mezzanine. He went over head first from 15’. His head split right open like Humpty Dumpty. We thought he was dead because there was sooooooo much blood. This is a happy story though, sort of. He’s alive but he’s a shadow of the man he once was.

I leave off at the story of the disaster that lead me to start posting in the first place, as therapy. Yep. My first ever post was in this thread soon after the Manotowoc collapsed with a 66,000 lb precast double tee on the hook. It missed crushing Monte to death by two feet. He was covered in concrete dust from this thing exploding so close to him as it hit the ground. They had been flying those things over all of our heads for weeks. I was the steward on the job and spoke out every day on deaf ears for weeks until the collapse. Everything seems so normal and safe but there is something ready to kill you dead at any second. 

Edited by Ogre
Hot tub fog errors

2 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I leave off at the story of the disaster that lead me to start posting in the first place, as therapy. Yep. My first ever post was in this thread soon after the Manotowoc collapsed with a 66,000 lb precast double tee on the hook. It missed crushing Monte to death by two feet. He was covered in concrete dust from this thing exploding so close to him as it hit the ground. They had been flying those things over all of our heads for weeks. I was the steward on the job and spoke out every day on deaf ears for weeks until the collapse. Everything seems so normal and safe but there is something ready to kill you dead at any second. 

Is today the anniversary of something bad that happened for you? Cuz even for this thread, you seem to be down some spiral you should probably be trying to avoid.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Is today the anniversary of something bad that happened for you? Cuz even for this thread, you seem to be down some spiral you should probably be trying to avoid.

Close to the date. It’s therapy. That kid playing games near the work zone today really brought up some tough stuff. Twenty seven years of it. I thought I had made my peace with the most of by giving my students the most intricate and sincere lectures I am capable of but obviously the trigger is still there. I just hope that everyone involved netted a positive gain from what happened today.

Just one more that’s not so gloomy. Actually kinda funny. 
 I’m very young working with this old dude that HATED me. We go up in between two columns that are close together to put in a diagonal brace. The booms on those things are springy so we move it around while wrestling the piece in but now it’s all jammed up in there. With mission accomplished the old dude grabs the guardrail on thing(where you should NEVER put your hands)and says “Git me out of here kid”. Because we're jammed up the only move I can make is to retract the boom. When I do the basket springs and smushes his fingers up between the column. He’s screaming “my fingers! My fingers!” I panic and swing the basket the wrong way and smush them even more! He was ok(he had sledgehammer hands too😉) but thought I did it on purpose and didn’t talk to me for a week.

Edited by Ogre
Almost forgot about hammer hands

Complaint Thursday will be closed in observance or Thanksgiving. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Played my first hockey last night... skated like shiite and watched the puck a lot. We lost 3-2 got a long ways to go before my legs are back.. sigh

7 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Played my first hockey last night... skated like shiite and watched the puck a lot. We lost 3-2 got a long ways to go before my legs are back.. sigh

Sir, take this to the awesome thread post-haste.  

• Like (+1) 1

My wife ruptured a tendon in her right foot.  Not only is that really painful for her, but she can't drive with the boot on her foot so I'm now a full-time chauffeur.

Edited by Doohickie

I took a train to Glasgow today, went to this awesome local burger place called "Bread Meats Bread" 

However, my complaint.... I hate politics, I hate it all, but the scotts sitting next to me heard my American accent and wanted to talk about politics and Trump with me. 

They know more about my political situation than I do, hard pass..... So my complaint is about politics, and that every country I go to, someone wants to talk about them with me. Let's talk about something good please 

Last Thursday I walked out of work to find I had a flat tire. Balls! Oh well, ***** happens. Changed said flat, in a suit, looking very manly. Anyways, cost me $125 for a new tire after I drove it to the garage. Damn.