Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I've been having a really down couple of weeks when it comes to my mental health. I'm accomplishing nothing when I'm at home. I'll eat fast food instead of making myself something, I'll stay in and sleep instead of going out shooting when I have free time, I haven't written a word in weeks, and my girlfriend and I have opposite schedules and we haven't seen much of one another. And when we do spend time together, one of us is really tired.

Work is nice, I can keep my head above water, but my lack of writing is really bringing me down. I think about my stories all day, get behind my desk at home and... nothing. I have no effort to give my passion.

I've been having a really down couple of weeks when it comes to my mental health. I'm accomplishing nothing when I'm at home. I'll eat fast food instead of making myself something, I'll stay in and sleep instead of going out shooting when I have free time, I haven't written a word in weeks, and my girlfriend and I have opposite schedules and we haven't seen much of one another. And when we do spend time together, one of us is really tired.

Work is nice, I can keep my head above water, but my lack of writing is really bringing me down. I think about my stories all day, get behind my desk at home and... nothing. I have no effort to give my passion.

Get some exercise.  60 minutes of sweating will solve just about any problem.  Satisfaction guaranteed.

Get some exercise. 60 minutes of sweating will solve just about any problem. Satisfaction guaranteed.

I won't pretend to know the full extent of any kind of depression issues that qwk has, but this is a suggestion I find never hurts. When I just feel funky and my brain won't work right, I tend to have to reset physically. Run till I puke, drink till I black out, something to that extent. A hard reset.

I recommend the former rather than the latter of course.

If it lingers too much longer, go see someone.

The floor drain in the basement of my boyfriend's house started backing up last Friday. After having plumbers come out and run a camera through the line, they determined tree roots have blocked the sewer drainage pipe and the entire thing needs to be replaced. So for now he can't use the dishwasher or washing machine, and showers and toilets are only to be used sparingly. He also has to remove all the bricks from a very large patio so that they can dig up his entire backyard and replace the line over the course of three days next week, then have the patio re-done after everything is finished. Overall he's looking at something like $15-16k for the whole shebang. And he was supposed to be flying here to spend the weekend in Denver with me tomorrow, which is probably now off.

Managers, who think their engineers, who then move deadlines because, "It's not that hard of a project."  You're right, it's not that hard theoretically, but when you need to design all of the parts, make a bill of materials, and then have a machine shop make the parts on top of their regular billable work, and then assemble and test said equipment...it's a little more time consuming than you think it is, and I'm sorry, but there's only one single/non-parent in our workgroup, and the rest of us don't have the time or energy to work more than 1 maybe 2 12 hour days to get this finished 3 weeks ahead of schedule.  

Be grateful that we're 1 week ahead of schedule....  

Don't worry start of fall always does this to people, two weeks ago only thing I felt like doing was getting in bed and staying there.

I had a cold a few weeks ago, thought I got over it, thought my allergies were acting up a couple weeks ago, felt somewhat okay last week, and now this week I just feel terrible. Today I've got the aches. I haven't been 100% in like a month.  

The floor drain in the basement of my boyfriend's house started backing up last Friday. After having plumbers come out and run a camera through the line, they determined tree roots have blocked the sewer drainage pipe and the entire thing needs to be replaced. So for now he can't use the dishwasher or washing machine, and showers and toilets are only to be used sparingly. He also has to remove all the bricks from a very large patio so that they can dig up his entire backyard and replace the line over the course of three days next week, then have the patio re-done after everything is finished. Overall he's looking at something like $15-16k for the whole shebang. And he was supposed to be flying here to spend the weekend in Denver with me tomorrow, which is probably now off.

without knowing the facts and without being in any way trained in the field, that sounds like ... an excessive fix.

i have an ancient house with sewer pipes that are, i think, roughly the consistency of baked-golden-brown pastry dough (ugh), and yet i've had roto rooter run its snaked whirring blades through that sewer line several times to remove roots. it's done the trick for me so far - three times in all (over ~11 years).

without knowing the facts and without being in any way trained in the field, that sounds like ... an excessive fix.

i have an ancient house with sewer pipes that are, i think, roughly the consistency of baked-golden-brown pastry dough (ugh), and yet i've had roto rooter run its snaked whirring blades through that sewer line several times to remove roots. it's done the trick for me so far - three times in all (over ~11 years).

Neither he nor I have any experience in this kind of thing, either, so he's left to rely on the advice of the plumber who came out last weekend and earlier this week.  The guy had good reviews on Angie's List, but that doesn't guarantee anything, so hopefully he's not getting screwed.  The fix certainly sounds extreme, but unfortunately in an emergency situation where the entire plumbing system has been rendered unusable, I don't think he feels like there's time to wait for 2nd and 3rd opinions.  :(

Neither he nor I have any experience in this kind of thing, either, so he's left to rely on the advice of the plumber who came out last weekend and earlier this week.  The guy had good reviews on Angie's List, but that doesn't guarantee anything, so hopefully he's not getting screwed.  The fix certainly sounds extreme, but unfortunately in an emergency situation where the entire plumbing system has been rendered unusable, I don't think he feels like there's time to wait for 2nd and 3rd opinions.  :(

Unless the tree roots have completely collapsed the pipe, the RotoRooter guy should be able to get things operational for a fraction of the cost (would expect it to be ~$400 & $1,000 tops).

There's also the possibility of, after the roots have been cleared out via rotorooter, snaking a liner pipe through the original if the original's integrity is compromised. Woukd cost a bit more, but way less than $10k.

Maybe the pipes really do need to be dug up, but would still look at other options due to the cost & effort involved in the 1st plan before dropping $15k.

& if the pipes are really old, would lean towards digging up the plugged destroyed portion & running a liner through the rest of it. Which would still be a lot cheaper w/ less yard tear up than what the plumber quoted.

Unless the tree roots have completely collapsed the pipe, the RotoRooter guy should be able to get things operational for a fraction of the cost (would expect it to be ~$400 & $1,000 tops).

There's also the possibility of, after the roots have been cleared out via rotorooter, snaking a liner pipe through the original if the original's integrity is compromised. Woukd cost a bit more, but way less than $10k.

Maybe the pipes really do need to be dug up, but would still look at other options due to the cost & effort involved in the 1st plan before dropping $15k.

I think he'd relayed that the plumber couldn't determine where the blockage was with the camera, so maybe that precludes RotoRooter? Although I don't know how they could both not know where the blockage is and also know it's tree roots, so clearly something is getting lost in translation there. But I'll pass that info along so he can try and look into it if possible -- thanks much.

I think he'd relayed that the plumber couldn't determine where the blockage was with the camera, so maybe that precludes RotoRooter? Although I don't know how they could both not know where the blockage is and also know it's tree roots, so clearly something is getting lost in translation there. But I'll pass that info along so he can try and look into it if possible -- thanks much.

Yeah for a job that big, a second and third estimate might be advised.  That is major surgery.