Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

The back of your ear? How does that happen? Doesn't it get clean collaterally with hair?

I honestly don't know. It's got to be some sort of vestigial musk thing. I guess where my ancestors ancestors lived, bad cheese got the ladies randy.

Again, I'm very sorry to have brought this up in here.

I have online widow/er groups and for whatever reason, I just needed to spill Everywhere.  Friends got texts; Facebook got a dose, too.

I did end up elbowing a brick wall.  I didn't punch anything, but dammit, I wish my gym was open right now.  I could use 20 minutes with the heavy bag.

I have no idea why the floodgates opened tonight.  There is no logical, biochemical, or even calendar reason for it.

But I do apologize if I dragged anyone down.  I know, it's a complaint thread, but that doesn't mean it's a grief thread.

Sorry, all of you.

Let's have a great Friday thread tomorrow.

Again, I'm very sorry to have brought this up in here.

I have online widow/er groups and for whatever reason, I just needed to spill Everywhere.  Friends got texts; Facebook got a dose, too.

I did end up elbowing a brick wall.  I didn't punch anything, but dammit, I wish my gym was open right now.  I could use 20 minutes with the heavy bag.

I have no idea why the floodgates opened tonight.  There is no logical, biochemical, or even calendar reason for it.

But I do apologize if I dragged anyone down.  I know, it's a complaint thread, but that doesn't mean it's a grief thread.

Sorry, all of you.

Let's have a great Friday thread tomorrow.

Don't ever apologize for this ever again. I'm serious.

Salary going up because of new federal regulations. Sounds like a good thing right? Well guess what? Even though I have been here for years, my salary will not be at the new intro salary so a bright fresh faced college kid with no experience will be making the same amount of money as me. Guess my years of service and my promotion last year mean absolutely dick. 

Salary going up because of new federal regulations. Sounds like a good thing right? Well guess what? Even though I have been here for years, my salary will not be at the new intro salary so a bright fresh faced college kid with no experience will be making the same amount of money as me. Guess my years of service and my promotion last year mean absolutely dick. 

I love it when companies do sh*t like that. Go ask for a commensurate raise. If they wont give it to you, start looking for new work. 

I remember in high school I was working at an ice cream shop. I'd started there at minimum wage, worked for a year and received 2 or 3 increases so that I was something like $0.75/hr over minimum.  Not much, but something.  The next year when I came back, the minimum wage was raised to what was my rate, and the managers didn't add an increase.  So like Liger, I was there with a year of experience making the same as the noobs I was training.  Sucked when I was 17, and it's even worse when you're an adult making actual money.

I remember in high school I was working at an ice cream shop. I'd started there at minimum wage, worked for a year and received 2 or 3 increases so that I was something like $0.75/hr over minimum. Not much, but something. The next year when I came back, the minimum wage was raised to what was my rate, and the managers didn't add an increase. So like Liger, I was there with a year of experience making the same as the noobs I was training. Sucked when I was 17, and it's even worse when you're an adult making actual money.

Did that for 7 years at my first job through high school and college. It blows.

Ah, I remember that. I started at 5 an hour no overtime. Which is illegal I guess. 

After a year or so I was at 10 an hour still, salary. One of the RIT interns was complaining about low pay and I agreed, saying it sucked that I couldn't get past 10/hour after almost 2 years of work. His eyes got big and he told me that he was at $15 hourly + OT, which is the lowest I guess you can pay someone through an RIT internship program or something. He shut up after that, but not before telling me to get out. I was his boss, you see. That was 3 years ago. He's making about 5 times what I am now at a different company. Connections.

Love my company so so much. Took years to get to a decent salary and found out my also artist friend/coworker was put at nearly my salary at his one year. But I'm an artist so I just have to bend over and take it. 

This is why I'm now considering giving up art as full time and going back to school for something involving zoology/nutrition. Kinda hit me this weekend as a "d'oh" moment. I've been involved with zoos/rescues my entire life, love science, and just stonewalled it as "vet or bust". But there's other directions, and maybe I'd be happier... I'm going to give Buffalo a chance next year, but if not... fu** it, back to school and into debt like the rest of the nation. I have this encyclopedic knowledge of animals and biology, I might as well use it. 

Edited by Josie914

Ah, I remember that. I started at 5 an hour no overtime. Which is illegal I guess. 

After a year or so I was at 10 an hour still, salary. One of the RIT interns was complaining about low pay and I agreed, saying it sucked that I couldn't get past 10/hour after almost 2 years of work. His eyes got big and he told me that he was at $15 hourly, which is the lowest I guess you can pay someone through an RIT internship program or something. He shut up after that, but not before telling me to get out. I was his boss, you see. That was 3 years ago.  

Love my company so so much. Took years to get to a decent salary and found out my friend was put at nearly my salary at his one year. But I'm an artist so I just have to bend over and take it. 

This is why I'm now considering giving up art as full time and going back to school for something involving zoology/nutrition. Kinda hit me this weekend as a "d'oh" moment. I've been involved with zoos/rescues my entire life, love science, and just stonewalled it as "vet or bust". But there's other directions, and maybe I'd be happier... I'm going to give Buffalo a chance next year, but if not... fu** it, back to school and into debt like the rest of the nation. I have this encyclopedic knowledge of animals and biology, I might as well use it. 

Good on you for considering it. I said after finishing my MS that I was completely and totally done for good with school, but more recently I'm entertaining the idea of going back for a degree in Genetic Counseling.  Not what I originally wanted to do, but it'd be more interesting than my current gig, still use a lot of my background / training, and be a whole lot more stable than research jobs.  Can't really afford to do it right now, though.

After a year or so I was at 10 an hour still, salary. One of the RIT interns was complaining about low pay and I agreed, saying it sucked that I couldn't get past 10/hour after almost 2 years of work. His eyes got big and he told me that he was at $15 hourly + OT, which is the lowest I guess you can pay someone through an RIT internship program or something. He shut up after that, but not before telling me to get out. I was his boss, you see. That was 3 years ago. He's making about 5 times what I am now at a different company. Connections.

Love my company so so much. Took years to get to a decent salary and found out my also artist friend/coworker was put at nearly my salary at his one year. But I'm an artist so I just have to bend over and take it. 

Maybe look to the Buffalo Zoo? I had a friend who worked there over the summer taking care of the Giraffes and he absolutely loved it. He was just a part time college gig, but they are always looking for reliable help.

Maybe look to the Buffalo Zoo? I had a friend who worked there over the summer taking care of the Giraffes and he absolutely loved it. He was just a part time college gig, but they are always looking for reliable help.

This was the idea I proposed while she was chewing my ear off at the Toledo Zoo. Volunteer there a bit, maybe get a part time gig. See if it's worth going to school for it or if you even need to.

That's my plan. I'll have to give up the rescue and possibly circus arts, so I'll have free time to go nuts with. 

I used to volunteer at the Toledo Zoo in high school and loved it. Even the gory stuff, like cutting up chicks/mice to hand feed the arctic fox and rescue hawks with. Even just being a tour guide who can chew off the ears of paying customers would be fun.

Poor d4rk. We were in the aquarium, he dared to ask what a fish was, and I then told him what every fish was and a fun fish fact of each. He pretended he was interested :P

One of the triathletes I met at Ironman Canada last year is a large animal vet/expert nutritionist and professor. Bloody brilliant woman. Over dinner, her biochemical Yaley husband and her regaled me with all kinds of tales of nutrition and how it breaks down in your body, etc etc. I loved every second of it. She inspired me quite a bit.

Edited by Josie914

This was the idea I proposed while she was chewing my ear off at the Toledo Zoo. Volunteer there a bit, maybe get a part time gig. See if it's worth going to school for it or if you even need to.

MrsPie is someone on this track but with museums. The current director of the of the place (Wharton Esherick Museum) was a volunteer 10 years ago, she's hoping she likes it (so far so good) and it'll end up being a job.

Also, it's a pretty cool place: http://whartonesherickmuseum.org/

I over-filled my mug with water after drinking tea in a lazy attempt to avoid washing it (and to make myself drink more water.)

I then proceeded to forget I had over-filled said mug, and poured a bunch of it down my front when I went to take a sip.   :doh:

Edited by biodork

I over-filled my mug with water after drinking tea in a lazy attempt to avoid washing it (and to make myself drink more water.)

I then proceeded to forget it was so full and poured a bunch of it down my front when I went to take a sip.   :doh:

Sounds like you have a drinking problem.